Need some help with new to me 1995 P50TLRT

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help with new to me 1995 P50TLRT

I just picked up a classic Dauntless 13 with a P50TLRT a couple of days ago. The boat was advertised with carb issues, so all I did was test the compression which was right around 110psi in each cylinder.

So before I even started the motor, I took the carbs apart, sprayed the jets / orifices with carb cleaner and compressed air. I would say the carbs were very clean already. I cleaned the internal fuel strainer (little cannister) but there was really nothing in it--very clean. I also changed the spark plugs with new ones of the proper type and gap.

The motor also has one of those "MINI" water separators (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07QWVGYQ1...v_ov_lig_dp_it) which I have not changed the filter on yet.

The previous owner had put premix into the tank because he was not sure if the oil injection system was working. I haven't verified whether the oil injection system works or not yet, so I haven't replaced the premix in the tank with fresh ethanol free gas yet. Of course , between the pre-mix and the oil injection system which presumably is working, there is probably way too much oil going in, and I'm not sure if that would contribute to my problems...

The motor starts with ease, and idles OK a little shaky but no issues idling around 600-700rpm.

If I try to rev up the motor , it starts to increase RPMs, then at a constant throttle plate opening angle, the revs will go up and down as if I were fluctuating the butterflys manually even though I am not.

Here is a quick video. (By the way I have just read I should not rev the motor this high without load. I won't do it again)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJjp9PM7Uew

Spark plugs seem wet but I'm not really familiar what a 2 stroke plug looks like. I am wondering if they are being fouled out. Could I be getting too much fuel?

I am looking for advice on next steps.

I was thinking about checking the oil injection, since there is premix in the tank already.
    Then changing the water separator, and putting ethanol in the tank.
    Next???

Thanks so much

.50529158498_42a70f8129_b.jpg
    Last edited by 95Whaler; 10-30-2020, 06:29 PM.

Here are pics of one of new plugs after running just a few minutes. It looks pretty wet and black to me. Assuming this is not good, could this be the emergency enrichment system malfunctioning, or perhaps the relatively high oil mixture?

50548939447_7999a11583_b.jpg

Comment

I read on this thiread (https://www.yamahaoutboardparts.com/...b-running-rich) someone suggested to check the fuel pump for leaks out of the rear hole, while pumping the bulb. The fuel pump is not leaking out of the rear crankcase? hole, but I do get a small amount of fuel coming out around the bolt holes if I pump the bulb quite a lot... is this normal or indicative of anything?

Comment

With the excess amount of blue smoke and black spark plugs, it appears your oil injection is working.

It also sounds like it's misfiring/ cutting in and out (fouling out a plug, then it fires).

I'd change the fuel filter (as that's an unk), and run straight, fresh fuel thru the engine along with new spark plugs...

It may take a bit to burn off all that excess oil but it should clear out.

Should the issue continue after that, I'd put an in-line spark tester between each plug wire and plug(one at a time of course) and check for strong spark, all the time, on each cylinder as it's running.

Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks for the reply. I was trying to figure out why it is so fouled after 5 minutes.
          I noticed that the prime start plunger is missing. That is to say that the plunger motor is there, but the plunger is broken off and gone. I believe this may cause it to run rich all the time but, I am still learning all about these systems.

I'm watching this video now.
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x35uqVMu2r0

HEre is pic of my plunger which I believe to be missing/broken: It seems like I should take the whole prime start "thing" off and have a look at it.
          50549195617_e3395f2b5a_b.jpg

Comment

I agree with you the needle is missing, is it down inside the other part?

Comment

Be very, very careful watching boat repair vids. I used to get the winters off and head down to my place at the south end of Baja. Good fishing !! Anyway you can't fish every day. Got to eat and give away you catch. So I had time to watch some YT outboard repair vids. My GOD !! Most all was crap.. outboards are very special high performance motors. Not a Chevy 327. Not a ford 289. That jet your taking to NYC. Sunday,, do you want the mechanic watching YT repair vids
              I've never would attempt to post a repair vid. Why would I ?? Also there is SO many varible's, it's insane. Size dosnt fit all

Comment

there you go again with the negative waves.

anyone remember what movie that was from?

Comment

Agent 99. You don't have to look at all the motors that get f_cked up because of wannabees. Go about your sofa. When folks get hurt or killed because idiots doing stuff they are not qualifed to work on. This not up for debate. I have witnessed it TOO many times. ALASKA to Panama with Hawaii tossed in. This site I guess isn't for me. I've spent my life on the water with boat's. I know the weekend warriors. Not captains, just mere boat owners. Not marine electricians. Not marine mechanics. USCG AUX.flotilla 6-7
                  OUT.

Comment

A pic of what it (Prime start) SHOULD look like:

Capture.JPG
                    Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-31-2020, 08:51 AM. Reason: Initially incorrect info posted..
                    Scott

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
                      Agent 99. You don't have to look at all the motors that get f_cked up because of wannabees. Go about your sofa. When folks get hurt or killed because idiots doing stuff they are not qualifed to work on. This not up for debate. I have witnessed it TOO many times. ALASKA to Panama with Hawaii tossed in. This site I guess isn't for me. I've spent my life on the water with boat's. I know the weekend warriors. Not captains, just mere boat owners. Not marine electricians. Not marine mechanics. USCG AUX.flotilla 6-7
                      OUT.
                      you did not answer my question.
                      the character that said it was 8 ball

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        Here's what it looks like and how it works: https://vimeo.com/264625510

(Three mounting bolts, not like your two bolts, from likely a larger engine), but you get the idea..

A link for yours: https://www.boats.net/product/yamaha...2b098412364fb3

A pic of what it SHOULD look like:

Capture.JPG
                        nope that is an ISC valve in the 1st link, and his is a primestart heater unit

I responded before you added the last pic which is the heater
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 10-31-2020, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

nope that is an ISC valve in the 1st link, and his is a primestart heater unit

I responded before you added the last pic which is the heater
                          Well, I'm missing something or need another coffee but:

Capture.JPG

Capture.JPG
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-31-2020, 08:44 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

Thanks - the needle is not broken off sticking down into the hole. It is completely gone, so I have to assume someone took it out knowingly, either thinking it was not necessary, or perhaps they would switch enrichment to "OFF" after starting the motor.

What I am not quite sure if I can test basic functionality of the motor with the emergency fuel enrichment shut off valve set to OFF, or if still needs the needle present to block the extra fuel flow. I think it should work as intended to stop the extra flow of fuel.... I guess I have to give it a try. I can clean all of the plugs and set it to off right after starting the motor.

Here is what I believe to be the correct part number - not cheap but if this is the only major set back I would be fine with that.
                            63D-14380-00-00

Comment

Pic's and links I posted above are the same as what your saying.

Any yes 99Yam, my boo on the ISC control valve(video of the part vibrating), that has nothing to do with the prime start
                              (Corrected it).

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 10-31-2020, 08:54 AM.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X