Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good Idea thanks

Comment

Hi Hwilli1954. I would be interested in knowing how the used carbs work out. I have considered this myself, looks like they pop up on ebay from time to time for $150 - $200 or so. I have been a little leary of buying them as if they are corroded, they could be "ruined". For what its worth, I have used both OEM rebuild kits and aftermarket carb rebuild kits for my 150. The needles are not the same and the OEM needle valves do not seem to wear or get a ring in them as quickly at the seal point as I have seen with the aftermarket. Also, given the tight tolerance for the floats, I definitely would be reluctant to use anything but OEM for these. PartsVU is about the cheapest source I have found for OEM parts. I have had my 1988 150 for its entire life and have done all of my own service work, still have near original compression and runs as good as I ever remember it running thought it probably has lost a little umph over time but it still will top 50 mph on my 18' bass boat.

Comment

Hey Todd
        thanks for the reply. I know its a gamble getting used carbs but our options are limited so got to take the gamble. I got this set of carbs with linkages and airbox manifold with air box for $230 to me. Pics look good but won't know till I get them tomorrow. I ordered oem needles a while back and they were high dollar for sure.. But I wish I could replace the seat for the needles but can't. So hoping this set will be better than mine is.. Somebody else been in them carbs and tried a bunch short cuts. Top of jet screw broken and one drain screw missing and was epoxied closed. No telling what else been done. I will go thru this other set and compare them to mine. Wont surprise me to find something. I have had this engine for few years and when it ain't flooding it runs great. I been thru this engine except for the internals. Good compression and will push my 19ft sprint in the 50's. Aint no race boat but I am fine with that. My racing days gone for a while now lol. What kind of compression are you getting?
        Last edited by Hwilli1954; 10-21-2020, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Hey again Hwilli1954. Thanks for the reply. Sounds like it is a good idea to get the replacement carbs given what you found. You will probably get a good set, of them. Compression all 115 - 120 psig. Of course, all gauges are little different. I hope you stay in touch and let us/me know how things work out. I guess there are a few of these old 150s running but I think most of them at the ages we have probably found a permanent resting home. I have replaced a good bit of things over the years (water pumps and impellers of course, thermostats, poppet valve, head gaskets, fuel pumps, ignition coils, carb rebuilds, even pulled then engine out of the cowling when I replaced the head gaskets (broke a head bolt, aluminum head and stainless bolts don't play well together over time). I still get a big kick out of it though when I fire it up and it runs good. Be glad to help with anything I can with yours, I would also be pursuing new carbs had I found what you found.

Comment

Todd
            I will keep ya updated on the carbs. BTW really glad to meet another engine lol.

Comment

Update time.
              went thru carbs again and first thing is gaskets were all distorted and that means they were not oem gaskets for the bowl cover. So I ordered new oem gaskets. Next thing i did was order new oem floats. Got them and did some measuring. The new ones at widest point was 41.93mm and the old ones were 42.56mm. So that means to me that they either swelled up or were not oem floats. My bet is for 34yr old carbs that the floats swelled up. No telling what kind up fuel or chemicals went thru them.
              So installing new gaskets and floats then back to the water. I will update again after testing.
              Have a happy Thanksgiving to everyone.

Comment

Working...
              X