Yellow cdi bypass wire

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yellow cdi bypass wire

what exactly does it do and mean if when unplugged I have no issue starting my motor? With it plugged in it has no spark. 1991 225 carbed txrp

I do not really know, but I think it bypasses some of the controls to spark incase something fails so you can get back to land

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      I do not really know, but I think it bypasses some of the controls to spark incase something fails so you can get back to land
      I think it will give me a better clue to my issue. Maybe I'll call yamaha tomorrow. They have be pretty.helpful in the past.

Comment

someone will have to test everything to see what is missing
        voltages into and out of the CDI should help point in a direction

Comment

Is the safety lanyard wire yellow? Just to be clear, there is no CDI "bypass"

Comment

Connecting the yellow wire puts the motor into the fixed ignition timing mode. Used in the event there is a CDI malfunction that prevents the motor from starting, the RPM from being stable, or the motor fails to reach an operating RPM.

zcd.png

Comment

I thought I read that some where in the past for some motors

Comment

Yeah. I understand that part. Im just curious,if I had a bad stator or pulsar I'd assume the yellow wire would have no effect in anything?

Comment

Have you tested the coils and other components for proper output voltage?

The yellow wire needing to be disconnected indicates there is a problem. Which was probably already known. The problem that is. It is up to someone to trouble shoot the system to find the source of the problem.

Comment

I'm trying to trouble shoot it. I have limited info. I've been an automotive mechanic for the past 25 years. I am capable of figuring things out given the proper resources. Also, im not familiar with 2 strokes so I'm learning as I go.

Comment

I too was a auto tech way back in the day, before I turned into a industrial electrician and then and I & E tech
                      so you will have the proper info to read in a Yamaha service manual for your motor,
                      or look on the web for CDI Electronics Troubleshooting on Yamaha for the specs

Comment

I have the yamaha manual. It's lacking info. I just googled the cdi info and will check voltage tomorrow. only problem is my engine isn't listed except for the appendix

Comment

LIT-18616-00-61???

Send me your email via PM and I will send you data indicating the voltages. The attachments here are no longer working well for me.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                            LIT-18616-00-61???

Send me your email via PM and I will send you data indicating the voltages. The attachments here are no longer working well for me.
                            Thats the one. Ill pm you my email. Thanks

Comment

Working...
                            X