Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have problems with torsion spring boat trailer axles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Throw in the water displacement of the bunks too...

Larger wood bunks will float more so than smaller bunks or aluminum bunks..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I didn’t think wheels actually float, steel wheels with heavy carcasses or truck tyres, that is. These therefore wouldn’t then make the rest of the trailer float.
      A lighter trailer would be a pain where there is any tidal flow; even in considerable wave rise and fall.
      Adding water into the wheels, like tractor wheels would lessen the floatation but would be a balance concern at high speed.
      Never would have thought advanced trailer technology creating issues.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post
        I didn’t think wheels actually float, steel wheels with heavy carcasses or truck tyres, that is. These therefore wouldn’t then make the rest of the trailer float.
        A lighter trailer would be a pain where there is any tidal flow; even in considerable wave rise and fall.
        Adding water into the wheels, like tractor wheels would lessen the floatation but would be a balance concern at high speed.
        Never would have thought advanced trailer technology creating issues.
        I dont know if a regular car/truck/suv wheels will float...I suspect it may.

But I do know that ATV wheels float, quite well. On a Honda Big Red the wheels are big and fat, with small light rims. They will float the trike they are on, no problem.
        Only problem is...the trike is top heavy and wants to flip and float upside down.

Comment

Just think about it some, the object placed into the water will displace the weight of water equal it its volume/weight and still float if the the volume is large enough.
          steel or concrete hulled boats/ships float if designed properly.
          tires, boards, lights, enclosed aluminum frames or crossmembers, anything that can trap air .
          there has to be enough combined weight to overcome the buoyancy of the whole thing.

called the local Xpress dealer again today and finally got a hold of someone.
          he said $2200 plus shipping for the backtrack trailer I asked about.
          said it would cost about the same to have one built locally and an extra few hundred for torsion axel

the torsion arms from the axle to the spindle on the ones I have looked at, are rusted heavily, so not sure where to find ones that are galvanized
          you would think builders of salt water boat trailers would use better materials.

Someone pointed me towards Rolls trailers in Florida, they have all aluminum trailers with aluminum axles, and torsion spring(different looking spring set up) and SS hubs.
          no prices listed on line, and I would hate to see what the shipping would be too
          Last edited by 99yam40; 09-01-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Never tried to see if wheels float.
            It might look suspiciously like you are dumping it. Can’t see a policeman accepting your explanation what you were trying to ascertain.

Comment

I have found tires mounted on steel rims on the beach of an island. no way to get there in anything but a boat, so they had to float up

Comment

As long as the wheel/tire holds air (is sealed), it'll float...

Loose that volume of air inside (displacement), it'll sink..

The larger the tire, the more water displacement and the MORE weight it'll float (displace more water)

Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                X