Buy Yamaha Outboard Parts

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

anyone have problems with torsion spring boat trailer axles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• anyone have problems with torsion spring boat trailer axles?

time for me to stop patching up the old galvanized trailer and start looking for an aluminum one.
    I have a Xpress aluminum boat with the galv backtrack trailer.
    They make aluminum ones now for the boats from the factory.
    I touched base with them and was told all of their trailers are made with leaf springs and torsion springs were not an option.
    I asked why, but have not heard back from them on the reason.

can anyone come up with a reason you would not use one in salt water environment?
    I figured getting rid of the leaf springs that rust away no matter what you put on them and wash them off after every trip would be a very good idea

Looks like besides being aweful expensive, their also galvanized (at least at this site): https://www.boattrailerparts.com/Boa...les_c_643.html

Doesn't look like many options for weight wise.

Also, the attachment point (for the last one I installed), was in one specific point(each rail), not spread out with 4 contact points-IE likely need a sturdier frame.
    With your smaller boat, that shouldn't make much of a difference...

My boat, aluminum trailer has a galvanized axle and rusty springs but mine RARELY see's water (boats on a lift).

I made a motorcycle trailer many years ago(among many) but this one was made with torsion springs..

Lastly, on my current bike trailer, the axle/ springs were rated for 2,000 lbs, way too heavy. Removing a leaf (1 of 3) made it more in line with what it was carrying(adjustable)..

P1180001.JPG
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I have read you can get them rated for 450 on up to 7K
      the 2k rating is on a set of 2 so 1000 each.
      my 16 ft boat motor, 6 gal gas tank ,battery, ice chest a few other things, plus the weight of the trailer it self should be OK with 2k or 2.5 springs.
      the Aluminum trailer Xpress puts under a boat like mine now show to be rated at 2500 with 3500 axle. maybe the 2500 was tire rating.
      but they only put leaf springs on the trailers.
      Just got an e mail back from them (or at least the guy that answered my question ),saying he did not know why they only used leaf springs

Comment

If they fail....pretty sure the whole thing has to be replaced. Betting you have a single axle? I have a horse trailer with dual torsions. Obviously it doesn’t get dipped in salt. All I know is parts for mine(boat trailer) are readily available in a pinch. I don’t know the saltwater dependability....

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
          Looks like besides being aweful expensive, their also galvanized (at least at this site): https://www.boattrailerparts.com/Boa...les_c_643.html

Doesn't look like many options for weight wise.

Also, the attachment point (for the last one I installed), was in one specific point(each rail), not spread out with 4 contact points-IE likely need a sturdier frame.
          With your smaller boat, that shouldn't make much of a difference...

My boat, aluminum trailer has a galvanized axle and rusty springs but mine RARELY see's water (boats on a lift).

I made a motorcycle trailer many years ago(among many) but this one was made with torsion springs..

Lastly, on my current bike trailer, the axle/ springs were rated for 2,000 lbs, way too heavy. Removing a leaf (1 of 3) made it more in line with what it was carrying(adjustable)..

P1180001.JPG
          Does that trailer have electric-hydro brakes?

Mod 11 over at THT threatened to ban me for my sarcasm. He’s a turd!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

looks like it would lean to one side if you put that spare on.
            Spare does not look the same size as the ones on the ground.

Got another e mail about them not using torsion axles, said they were more costly so stayed with leaf spring to be competitive in the market.

A friend has a newer Xpress boat with Aluminum Backtrack trailer.
            the trailer frame is built out of tubular rectangle stock and all connections are welded.( cross members and connections to bolt leaf springs onto, even the L brackets for the bunk boards to bolt to).
            My youngest son said his aluminum trailer floats when backed into the water empty making it a pain sometimes. I would guess it is also tubular frame.

I have another friend that has a custom built aluminum trailer I need to go look at , but I think it is I Beam construction, which means some or all bolted connections
            maybe I will have a chance to look at it this weekend.
            Seems they could use the individual torsion units instead of the whole long axle shaft type., by welding supports to bolt the individual for each side to.

I like the idea of all welded connections , less things to corrode or get loose.
            But I think the I beam frame would be better so all surfaces could be seen and washed off .
            all of the tubular frames I have seen have drain holes to help with the floating problem so that means salt water gets inside where you cannot rinse with fresh water
            Last edited by 99yam40; 08-28-2020, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Yes, super heavy duty brakes, disc's in fact. Very, very LOW profile, everything is well hidden....

Scott
              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I just bought a new trailer. Replaced my torsion link with traditional springs.

When I started shopping, Big Bob told me that springs are superior to torsion. BUT....he was speaking more from a BOAT perspective rather than trailer. Apparently, the torsion link is not as friendly to the BOAT when dragging it over the road. To hell with what is more friendly to the BOAT OWNERS WALLET.

All I needed was a yard trailer without brakes. So I ordered one. Venture, tri-axle, springs. 15-inch wheels. NICE trailer.

Figured I'd keep it a LONG time and that it would be a decent compromise since I never tow my boat on the road. Silly me. Got a Jones for a new ride a month later and sold it, and the boat.

New boat has Yam 300s. Wish me luck!!

Comment

Got another e mail about them not using torsion axles, said they were more costly so stayed with leaf spring to be competitive in the market.

A friend has a newer Xpress boat with Aluminum Backtrack trailer.
                  the trailer frame is built out of tubular rectangle stock and all connections are welded.( cross members and connections to bolt leaf springs onto, even the L brackets for the bunk boards to bolt to).
                  My youngest son said his aluminum trailer floats when backed into the water empty making it a pain sometimes. I would guess it is also tubular frame.

I have another friend that has a custom built aluminum trailer I need to go look at , but I think it is I Beam construction, which means some or all bolted connections
                  maybe I will have a chance to look at it this weekend.
                  Seems they could use the individual torsion units instead of the whole long axle shaft type., by welding supports to bolt the individual for each side to.

I like the idea of all welded connections , less things to corrode or get loose.
                  But I think the I beam frame would be better so all surfaces could be seen and washed off .
                  all of the tubular frames I have seen have drain holes to help with the floating problem so that means salt water gets inside where you cannot rinse with fresh wate

Comment

Typically, a torsion axle setup isn't a whole lot more than a galvanized trailer, but is considered an "upgrade" so it does carry a slightly higher price. In my line of work, I see a lot of trailers and I can't say I've ever seen any negatives about the reliablilty of torsion axles. Performance-wise, they're an improvement - a quieter and smoother ride. However, some companies use torsion axles that don't have a replaceable spindle - so if you bugger a spindle, it becomes more costly to replace.

"Tubular" aluminum? I must say, I've never seen that - I've only ever seen I-beam construction. Although you might see a galvanized tube used for the tongue.

YES! Some aluminum trailers can float! It's a combination of the amount/size of tires compared to frame weight. I suspect it's not floating by a whole lot and adding some type of weight to the frame would take care of it. I also think - and this is just theory - that some fender designs will trap some air, adding to the bouyancy. It's possible that drilling a hole in the fender might just get rid of enough bouyancy to keep the trailer down. The other factor is the water - fresh vs salt, for example, since salt water is denser... "things" float easier/better in salt.
                    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
                    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

My trailer has floated a few times. Major PIA considering the current around here. I put larger higher psi tires on awhile back and that probably did it.

Comment

My trailer has floated a few times. Major PIA considering the current around here. I put larger higher psi tires on awhile back and that probably did it.
                        Interesting side point here... only increasing the SIZE of the tire will make it more bouyancy. Increasing pressure inside the tire actually makes the tire heavier - for example, with two identical tires, one at 35psi and one at 55psi, the 55psi tire will have less bouyancy due to more mass inside the tire. One little caveat here - this is all assuming enough pressure in the tire to keep it properly inflated - if the pressure in the tire was insufficient to keep the tire properly inflated, then the pressure of the water would cause the tire to collapse and that would cause it to become less bouyant. But, really, that's not going to happen in the real world scenarios we're talking about.

Main point: for the real world scenarios we're talking about, it's the size of the vessel (tire) that matters, not the pressure inside it.

Fun stuff to think about, though!

Comment

questions to think about

How much extra air pressure in a normal trailer tire would it take to increase it's weight by 1 lb. or 1/2 lb?

does the extra pressure in a tire make it expand some and displace more water making it float easier?

Comment

is your trailer an I beam frame?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                              questions to think about

How much extra air pressure in a normal trailer tire would it take to increase it's weight by 1 lb. or 1/2 lb?

does the extra pressure in a tire make it expand some and displace more water making it float easier?
                              I was thinking about the same thing! Without putting too much thought into (or researching the calculations needed) I suspect that this is something that, in reality, is going to make a very, very, small difference. Meaning, as far we are concerned, the difference is probably small enough as to make no difference.

Comment

Working...
                              X