yamaha temp gauge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha temp gauge

I have a yamaha temp gauge. I would like to hook it up to my '92 85hp yamaha. It has 3 wires off the back along with the 2 lighting wires, light blue, yellow, and black. Where does the light blue wire connect to? The ole guy at the counter at my yamaha dealer said it connects to the alarm buzzer sending unit on the head. Can someone help or send a schematic, I sure would appreciate it. Also, I have a digital speedo. The set and mode buttons do nothing and the 's' video type cable is not hooked to anything. I need some guidance on that also. Thanx

Dan,
    I'm pretty sure that blue wire goes to the temp sender that you mount in the top of the cylinder assembly.
    As far as the digital tach, on mine there are three little "dip" switches on the back (2000 model):
    #1 - up for 2-lead trim sensor and down for 3-lead sensor
    #2 - up for 6 pole altenator and down for 12
    #3 - up for 4 stroke and down for 2 stroke

Your newer digital tach may be different - hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
    Ken K

Comment

If this a Yamaha Temp gauge then the Dark blue ,black,yellow connect to gauge harness connected to key switch. The light blue and other black connects to 688-83591-00-00(does not come with gauge) temp sender that connects to engine.
      Regards
      Boats.net
      Yamaha Outboard Parts

Comment

And that "S-Video" cable connects to the Yamaha fuel management system gauge if you had one, otherwise it doesn't connect to anything. Its supposed to give the FMS some speedo reading so it can calculate your MPG but it seldom works.

Mike

Comment

Thanx, I'm heading to my dealer and talk to someone that knows, besides the dip I talked to yesterday. This makes alot more sense now. Thanx a bunch.

Comment

Boats.net, is the sender the same one that's for the alarm buzzer? Or do I need another one? The guys at my local shop have no clue. Thanx

Comment

Dan it's a separate sender. He gave you the part number in his post above, 688-83591-00-00. Tell the guy at the parts counter you need that part number sender. Should be about $25-30.

Mike

Comment

OK, thanx. I misunderstood I thought that was a harness part #. I presume that it only has a sender wire and a ground. I can make my own harness and save a few bucks then. Thanx again, I'll pick it tomorrow.

Comment

Dan,
                  When I installed the Teleflex temp gauge on my C115, I only had to use one wire from the sender on the motor to the gauge - the signal wire. In fact, I picked up an unused wire in the harness that was open both at the motor and under the console.
                  The second wire, black, just hooks the common ground of the cranking battery and the motor. You can pick it up under the console, unless that Yamaha gauge requires a "floating" signal return, in which case you will have to run two wires to the sender.
                  Hope this helps [img]smile.gif[/img] ,
                  Ken K

Comment

Thanx Ken, thats a good idea. I remember seeing one unused by the trim soleniods. Going to do it today. Thanx again everyone.

Comment

Working...
                    X