Electric oil pump?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electric oil pump?

As noted above, I'm looking for an excellent quality (12 volt or 110 volt) oil pump for changing specifially oil from my engine.

I had purchased a hand pump set up, with (very high reviews and not cheap) however the comments were way over rated. It does work, if you don't mind constant pumping and taking easily an hour to pump 5.5 quarts of engine oil.

I currently have the steel container, the long thin tube to slip into the dip stick hole, etc.

Now, just a good electric pump that'll last more than a couple of changes without burning up..

Recommendations from personal experiance anyone?

(and yes, I did do several searches on-line)..

Thanks..
    Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Do you have an electric drill? I bet that you do.

Go to Home Depot and you can get a pump that fits on the end of the drill. Here is something similar though not the exact one that I got.

Milescraft 1314 Drill Pump 750-13140103 - The Home Depot

Get the right size tubing for the outlet of the pump and the inlet of the pump. Route the outlet hose to a five gallon plastic bucket.

That is a very effective pump. I seem to recall that it would empty my F200 oil pan in about a minute.

Comment

An old window ac or frig/freezer compressor makes a good Vacuum pump.
      Of course you have to rig up a vessel to pull the vacuum through to catch the oil before it gets into the compressor.
      Have not tried this on an outboard motor before, but have used it to suck out liquid from tanks before

Comment

We have a little pump at work, works great(only tried it once the other day), have no idea what brand but.....

it's yellow and cheap

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/New-P...862040125.html

Just change the input hose to 8mm otherwise the thing is a slug.
        Last edited by greasyshaft; 02-01-2015, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Thanks guys.

Yes, I have a Dewalt cordless drill and well several other corded drills. Just the pumping head would be fine.

As noted, I already have the oil tank/hoses, this is what I currently have;

Amazon.com: Air Power America 5060 Topsider Multi-Purpose Fluid Removing System: Automotive

It has a high rating but is slower than snot and requires much manual pumping and easily takes 30 minutes for 5 quarts.

I have a small metal lathe and could easily make up something to fit the hose ends..

I just checked my local HD and its not in stock but can be shipped to the store (I was just there this am)...

I'll post again, once I get something.

*The fridge compressor sounds like a good idea, unfortunatly, metal objects, (put out for re-cycle) disappear by guys out for re-cycle parts the night before the city comes..
          Scott

Comment

I think this is the one that I used.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...89-c-10155.htm

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              I think this is the one that I used.

http://www.menards.com/main/tools-ha...89-c-10155.htm
              Thanks Boscoe,

I looked up the one you posted at HD on Amazon and it had a lot of good reviews. It also has a two year warranty.

The main issue I read about is lubing the impellor initially (like our water pumps, not good to run dry). So I'll squirt a little oil before spinning it over inside the impellor housing initially. (It won't likely be used for anything else anyhow)

I just ordered it on-line, ship to store. Should be here in a week or two..

Thanks again..
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                Thanks guys.

Yes, I have a Dewalt cordless drill and well several other corded drills. Just the pumping head would be fine.

As noted, I already have the oil tank/hoses, this is what I currently have;

Amazon.com: Air Power America 5060 Topsider Multi-Purpose Fluid Removing System: Automotive

It has a high rating but is slower than snot and requires much manual pumping and easily takes 30 minutes for 5 quarts.

I have a small metal lathe and could easily make up something to fit the hose ends..

I just checked my local HD and its not in stock but can be shipped to the store (I was just there this am)...

I'll post again, once I get something.

*The fridge compressor sounds like a good idea, unfortunatly, metal objects, (put out for re-cycle) disappear by guys out for re-cycle parts the night before the city comes..
                Never hurts to keep your eye out for one

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  Never hurts to keep your eye out for one
                  Agreed, never really thought about it.

I've never had a fridge compressor apart but wouldn't mind yanking it apart just for S&G's!
                  Scott

Comment

Do not need to take apart, just cut the tubing in and out. One side is vacuum and the other pressure. Need to keep oil inside for it work. Oil vapor does tend to come out the pressure side though
                    Keep capped off or valved on both ends so you can close them when not using it.
                    Poor mans A/C vacuum pump to suck all or most of the air and moisture out after repairing A/Cs
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 02-01-2015, 04:09 PM.

Comment

Do not need to take apart, just cut the tubing in and out. One side is vacuum and the other pressure. Need to keep oil inside for it work. Oil vapor does tend to come out the pressure side though
                      Keep capped off or valved on both ends so you can close them when not using it.
                      Poor mans A/C vacuum pump to suck all or most of the air and moisture out after repairing A/Cs
                      Neat! Thanks!
                      Scott

Comment

gotta laugh but its not the first automotive AC that I have evacuated with the refridgerator compressor.

my oil extractor uses an air pressure powered vacuum pump,similar to an AC vacuum pump, mounted on a 5 gallon steel tank.
                        similar to an air tank.
                        has a drain valve at the bottom and a oil inlet valve on the top.

to operate close both valves, simply attach 150PSI air.
                        watch the watch the vacuum guage till its at least 20-25"Hg then disssconnect the air.
                        take it to the boat or drive across country.
                        place one end of the oil line in the sump or over the dip stick tube.
                        open the oil intake valve and about 2 min late 6 qts have been evacuated.

unit is NOT required to be on the boat,can be left on the dock.

brand name of mine is the slurrper.
                        was made in searspoint maine.
                        I understand the place went out of business.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          gotta laugh but its not the first automotive AC that I have evacuated with the refridgerator compressor.

my oil extractor uses an air pressure powered vacuum pump,similar to an AC vacuum pump, mounted on a 5 gallon steel tank.
                          similar to an air tank.
                          has a drain valve at the bottom and a oil inlet valve on the top.

to operate close both valves, simply attach 150PSI air.
                          watch the watch the vacuum guage till its at least 20-25"Hg then disssconnect the air.
                          take it to the boat or drive across country.
                          place one end of the oil line in the sump or over the dip stick tube.
                          open the oil intake valve and about 2 min late 6 qts have been evacuated.

unit is NOT required to be on the boat,can be left on the dock.

brand name of mine is the slurrper.
                          was made in searspoint maine.
                          I understand the place went out of business.
                          I looked on-line at the air operated ones at well. All I saw were commercial grade units, nothing under $400.00 and up way into the thousands of $...

Got all my hose ends set up(females to the pump) with the "dumping end" tied (has a screw on end for the manual pump) into the "Topsider tank".

I also used their long, thin extractor hose that goes thru the dip stick, shimmed it to the larger hose using another short piece of plastic hose. Just need a pump now!
                          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 02-02-2015, 07:44 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

From what Rodbolt wrote you can just put a hose over the dip stick tube,
                            I guess that would get most of then oil out without having to run a smaller restrictive tube down inside the dip stick tube

I bet an empty one time use freon tank or helium balloon filling tank could easily be modified to work like rodbolt is talking about with that vacuum pump(compressor) I mentioned. The valve on top of those tanks have a one way check valve, so you should be able to pull a vacuum through it. Would need to drill and mount valves for a drain and a vent.
                            That way there is no need to carry the pump to boat, just the container with a good vacuum pulled inside.

May not have enough volume if tank is too small though
                            Another project to look into
                            Last edited by 99yam40; 02-02-2015, 08:39 AM.

Comment

I bet an empty one time use freon tank or helium balloon filling tank could easily be modified to work like rodbolt is talking about with that vacuum pump(compressor) I mentioned.
                              That way there is no need to carry the pump to boat, just the container with a good vacuum pulled inside.

May not have enough volume if tank is too small though
                              Another project to look into
                              That "Topsider" manual pump tank is 2 gallons. The pump is fairly well built. It just does NOT perform as advertised. And I'm not going to pump it several times, and still have to wait upwards of 30 minutes, just a PIA.

Between the electric drill pump, this tank, the fittings with the tank, this should work good. As noted earlier, a little bit of oil on the impellor (as its dry new) should save some/most initial wear and tear on the unit.
                              Scott

Comment

Working...
                              X