2015 F115 abrubt shut off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
    are you sure the mount does not have corrosion pitting along the sealing surface?
    which side of the WS did you put the primer bulb this time?
    and did it prime the motor and get firm?

It did not have pitting or what I would call corrosion on the mount sealing surfaces bit it did have some kind of residue that I could not see when it was mounted. After taking it apart, I cleaned it with acetone and used some 1000 grit wet/dry to clean up anything that was left.

I put the
    bulb between the filter and the outboard which was where it was originally. All arrows pointing in the right direction.
    I only put the bulb before the filter once to test the bulb.

The bulb does indeed now get hard and pump fuel. Charging my *****ing batteries now for back up and will take the boat out in the morning if the weather is ok. Can't really test it under load in the barrel.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by b.e. coyote View Post

It did not have pitting or what I would call corrosion on the mount sealing surfaces bit it did have some kind of residue that I could not see when it was mounted. After taking it apart, I cleaned it with acetone and used some 1000 grit wet/dry to clean up anything that was left.

I put the
      bulb between the filter and the outboard which was where it was originally. All arrows pointing in the right direction.
      I only put the bulb before the filter once to test the bulb.

The bulb does indeed now get hard and pump fuel. Charging my *****ing batteries now for back up and will take the boat out in the morning if the weather is ok. Can't really test it under load in the barrel.

Thanks!
      well it sounds like something has changed for the better, let us know how it goes

Comment

Little known fact about primer bulbs !! The arrow should point towards da motor, its also be pointing up, as in skywards.. there is two check valves in them (Shutter) and like the weight of the gas to work 100 percent.. next to deep cycle batts on a outboard,, it's the most common "oops" I sea daily on a outboard. Grrr !! Remember the simple fact::: the boat maker's are fiberglass boys,, not engine experts...this Sooo past OLD for me. 38+ YRs in the biz and still have get up on the soapbox.. LOL

Comment

Originally posted by Keithbaja View Post
          Little known fact about primer bulbs !! The arrow should point towards da motor, its also be pointing up, as in skywards.. there is two check valves in them (Shutter) and like the weight of the gas to work 100 percent.. next to deep cycle batts on a outboard,, it's the most common "oops" I sea daily on a outboard. Grrr !! Remember the simple fact::: the boat maker's are fiberglass boys,, not engine experts...this Sooo past OLD for me. 38+ YRs in the biz and still have get up on the soapbox.. LOL
          Getting off track a lil, but to throw this in there.

My primer bulb is sideways (correct direction, Genuine Yamaha, due to space constrictions) but I do have a transom mounted fuel filter/water separator.(see below)

I don't see, how, with the filter, fuel would empty /flow back to the tank with that large cartridge there. Even with the cartridge removed, fuel doesn't empty and go back to the tank.

Obviously, the two check valves are an additional "back up" to the system..

Thoughts?

BTW, been this way since 1997..(re-powered in 2007)

Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

the primer bulb has check valves to open and close while you are pumping it by hand.
            other wise it would just do nothing as far as pushing fuel toward the motor. he was just saying the check valves work better with the aid of gravity.

I too have never had a problem with a bulb sitting horizontal while priming

Comment

Hi, your boat also has a anti siphon valve. Aluminam. ( Never get that right) screwed into the gas tank pick up tube discharge fitting. They are very problematic. U remove/valve and turn upside down, then using a punch inside to remove ss ball and spring.. aka,no restriction issue. Replace hoses camps (2) with Oetiker clamps thu out you fuelsystem. never,ever use worm screw hose clamps on outboard fuel systems.. the screws are not SS. And rust out. Always double clamp all fuel lines when possible.with Oetiker clamps. You now have been enlighted about outboadfuel systems. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST or don't touch it !!

Comment

Hi, your boat also has a anti siphon valve. Aluminum. ( Never get that right) screwed into the gas tank pick up tube discharge fitting. They are very problematic. U remove/valve and turn upside down, then using a punch inside to remove ss ball and spring.. aka,no restriction issue. Replace hoses camps (2) with Oetiker clamps thu out you fuelsystem. never,ever use worm screw hose clamps on outboard fuel systems.. the screws are not SS. And rust out. Always double clamp all fuel lines when possible.with Oetiker clamps. You now have been enlighted about outboadfuel systems. DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST or don't touch it !!
                Apparently aluminum and brass: https://www.amazon.com/marine-anti-s...i+siphon+valve

I wasn't aware of this anti siphon valve. Good to know (as I've never accessed this area). I could see see this valve, if faulty, causing issues.

Again, with a transom mounted filter filter/separator, I'm not sure (don't think), even if that tank valve failed, and the rest of the system(as the engine) was good, it'd pull fuel back to the tank.
                The upper end (engine, line, filter, etc) is higher and "sealed"(not the correct word), most likely NOT allowing fuel to empty from the system..

Scott
                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

When I first started trouble shooting I did not know that the bulb should be held vertically with the arrow pointing up, but after some quick googling I found that and it did not make a difference.

Was hoping to get the boat out yesterday but it didn't happen. Hopefully Thursday.

Comment

Coyote, I keep a new primer bulb in my truck to show folks how they work.. even old timers are blown away with the simple fact that when pointed up, they work (as designed) much better. Big difference on carb motors. Not so much on fuel infected.

Comment

Finally got the boat out today. Ran great. Couple 1 mile runs at WOT and everything in between.

Hoping that a leak in the filter or line somewhere was all that it was.

Thanks everyone!

Comment

Working...
                      X