No announcement yet.

yamaha 200 saltwater series stalls when put into gear slow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm going to start with some port, instead.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I shifted to an aged rum on ice .
      however I simply don't understand why you cannot understand why a shift cut switch is needed.
      maybe its because I have done this type of work for almost 40 yrs.
      like the alpha drive, the OMC cobra drive and most other fairly modern large HP drives the shift clutch dogs AND the gear dogs are NOT cut straight.

they are cut at an angle called a back draft.
      typically at 7*.

once these two back draft cut dogs are mated its 14*.
      means as long as the dogs are loaded they tend to lock together.

in order to move the clutch away from the gear the drive shaft OR the propshaft has to be UNLOADED.
      the ONLY way to unload the propshat would be to remove it from the water,not practicle.

so they placed a shift cut switch to misfire,or cut off, the ign system thus unloading the drive shaft.

mercloser was the only one to CUT OFF the ign.(the dock buster switch)
      the rest either cut off certain cylinders or misfired all.
      the VOLVO and the bravo and king cobra don't need a shift switch as they used a cone clutch.

but no Virginia, the shift switch is NOT used to place the clutch in any gear position.
      only to get it out of gear.

next your gonna start asking about the shift position switch .

Comment

That makes sense about the type of gears, it was one of the things I was wondering about. Thanks.

"Dock buster"... yup!

Do you happen to know if I was on the right track with "why" the switch doesn't activate going into gear (the part after "or..." in post #25)? Of course, this is only in regards to my engine, or others with a similar design. I'm just curious to know the "why" part!

Comment

as its a slam shift design like ALL other dog clutchs there is NO need to modify propshaft load going INTO any gear.
          it just snaps in with a thunk.

going out of gear you have 3 to 6 dogs mated at a 14* back angle to UNLOCK and move away from the gear.

if you watch the shift slide doesn't wiggle nor trigger going into gear, if it does you have an issue.
          same with your alpha mercloser.
          if the switch triggers going into gear there is an issue.
          don't confuse a shift cut switch with other models using a cut switch AND a position switch.
          certain 3.3L Z motors used two shift position switches and a cut switch.

bend the fingers on both hands at the second knuckle to about a- 7* angle,interlock both hands and pull, try it again with both hands fingers at 90*

works the same with the back draft angle cut on the gear and clutch dogs.
          with smaller HP motors you could use 90* faces on the gear and clutch.
          as HP went up they started back draft cutting them.
          that's when shift cut switchs were mandatory.
          I have seen folks dissconct the cut switch and snap shift handles off.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            if you watch the shift slide doesn't wiggle nor trigger going into gear, if it does you have an issue.
            same with your alpha mercloser.
            if the switch triggers going into gear there is an issue.
            don't confuse a shift cut switch with other models using a cut switch AND a position switch.
            certain 3.3L Z motors used two shift position switches and a cut switch.
            Good points. It's been a few years since I had an issue like this with a Merc Alpha, but now that you mention it... The last time was trying to get the boat off the trailer - it would stall immediately as I put it in reverse. Jumping off of what you mentioned, if I remember correctly the shift cable was out of adjustment and a fixing that solved the problem.

Thanks for the extra explanation on the gear meshing - that was VERY helpful!!!

Comment

salt water series

thanks for all your help and all of the others i will see if my model has those switches.sorry not got back to yous sooner to much rum over chrissy thanks again

Comment

Working...
              X