C40TLRX crank removal and install procedure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Got the new check valves in and installed them,
    and opened up the only working old one I pulled out.
    there was a plastic looking piece crimped into the little brass piece pressed into the unit.
    It came apart when I screwed the sheet rock screw into it to pull it out of nipple housing.
    So there was not a BB or ball inside the check valve just a small piece of plastic held close to the opening in the brass piece by a crimp in the brass.
    I hope the new upgraded ones will hold up even better than the old ones, even though I have no idea how long they held up before
    Last edited by 99yam40; 02-12-2015, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Just to do a final update on my motors winter project.
      I got it all back together with new check valves, gaskets, and the refurbished crank shaft .
      I put in new stat & gasket, water pump kit along with new rubber dampener and guide.
      Also had a corrosion pocket welded up on the outside by the stat and used JB weld to fill the crater on the inside.
      I have ran it for a few hours out and about with no problems.
      Compression is right at 120 still on all cylinders. with the #1 a little higher
      Pulled the carbs back off and went through them as it was not idling too well, but did not see anything inside the bowls.
      I did find the ground connection on the Prime start heater had come loose (bolt vibrated out), I apparently failed to torque it down properly.
      Could explain why the idle was not right with the over rich condition.

Seems to idle a lot better on muffs in the driveway now.

Just waiting on the weather to warm up so I can sight cast to some reds in the shallow water of East Matagorda Bay here in Texas.

May take awhile though before I find them on the flats and shore lines.
      But as always I will look too early in the year.

happy fishing to all

Comment

without a ground path the wax pellet wont heat,the needle wont extend and the enrichment system stays ON.

so what happened is your running full cold enrichment on a warm engine.

Comment

I agree it was running too rich from the lack of ground continuity on the heater. I am sure that is what made it idle better after hooking it back up and cleaning the carbs.
          That is also why I said " Could explain why the idle was not right with the over rich condition."

I did find one little piece if black stuff in bottom of lower carb that could be sucked into jets, but the top 2 bowls were clean.
          Did find some spots of sticky stuff on floats that I cleaned up.
          probably left from fuel/oil mix evaporating leaving residue.
          I normally run the motor often enough to not have them dry out, but with running out with other friend on their boats means mine sits more.

I also hope the recirculation check valve replacements and new lower crank seals help stop the 2 stroke oil running down the drive shaft to water pump.

The impeller was getting well lubed with 2 stroke oil from what I saw when I pulled the pump apart and replaced it. Did not have to worry about burning up the impeller from lack of water lucubration the way it was if started out of water. Need to keep track of when I raise motor while poling across the shallow water better now
          Last edited by 99yam40; 02-28-2015, 05:49 PM.

Comment

One more thing I did not post about when installing the crank and pistons.
            It may help others if doing this the 1st time.

I had to get help from a friend to stab the pistons and crank ,as 2 hands just were no enough to handle the job.

He also showed me a little trick, we used plastic tyraps to compress & cinch down each ring on the pistons. As they were pushed out of the way as the piston and rings slid into the cylinders we just cut them and removed

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
              One more thing I did not post about when installing the crank and pistons.
              It may help others if doing this the 1st time.

I had to get help from a friend to stab the pistons and crank ,as 2 hands just were no enough to handle the job.

He also showed me a little trick, we used plastic tyraps to compress & cinch down each ring on the pistons. As they were pushed out of the way as the piston and rings slid into the cylinders we just cut them and removed
              A real mans man would have used his fingers to compress the piston rings. You cheated.

Comment

I usually use my fingers on small 2 stroke 1 cylinder motors like chainsaws, leaf blowers, and weed whackers, but just not enough room for me on these multi cylinder motors feeding from the back side.
                I am sure they make ring compressors for these motors, but who has them unless you do this stuff for a living.

I thought that this was a very good trick for the backyardiagan ,
                Actually I put it together in my living room, not the back yard

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  I usually use my fingers on small 2 stroke 1 cylinder motors like chainsaws, leaf blowers, and weed whackers, but just not enough room for me on these multi cylinder motors feeding from the back side.
                  I am sure they make ring compressors for these motors, but who has them unless you do this stuff for a living.

I thought that this was a very good trick for the backyardiagan ,
                  Actually I put it together in my living room, not the back yard
                  I call an infraction. You have insulted me.

Go to your room and don't come out until Rodbolt sez so.

Hope your wife has lots of carpet cleaner in the house.

Comment

After cleaning up the block and crank assembly outside there is not much of a problem to put one back together inside a climate con*****ed environment.

I did not make any mess that I did not clean up myself.which was nothing but throwing away a piece of cardboard I had over a table.
                    I have been divorced,without adult supervision( as a friend called it),
                    for a few years now.
                    I do what I want, where ever I want, when I want now that the boys are out on their own.
                    Life is good.
                    Almost makes me feel young again
                    Last edited by 99yam40; 03-01-2015, 08:07 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X