• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

Ok how is that done?
      Short and sweet

Comment

Captured using Snagit software. Posted to my photobucket.com account. Then copied and pasted as a link here.

Comment

thanks bosco99

guess I need to get a place beside my computer to put these pics

Also letting everyone know I got some verification that the lower unit top seal housing #30 part # I was talking about earlier has been superseded to 63B-Y429H-K1-00 and does include the housing,2 seals, and o-ring.
          And it is mislabeled as water pump housing assy and is cheaper than just the housing itself.

Now if I can get Rod to look at the pic and let me know about the groove in shaft I will be happy once again
          Last edited by 99yam40; 02-01-2015, 04:20 PM.

Comment

that's not a groove.
            its where a wear collar is pressed on the shaft.
            once you remove that seal carrier its more easily seen.
            its also why shaft seal surface failure is rare on Yamaha.

see I done tole ya ya worrins way too much.

Comment

oh
              easiest way I have found to remove the seal carrier is by drilling two 1/8th holes in it and inserting 2 #10 self tapping screws and use the screws and diagonal cutters to lift it out.

Comment

Well I am a happy camper once again.

Rodbolt Thanks for your info

Does the drilling holes mean automatic replacement of the housing or do you not drill that deep to need to replace?

If the motor runs well after putting back together I will be resealing the lower unit in the next year or so even if it is not leaking

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  Rodbolt
                  Is it just my pic that you cannot open or see or is it all pics?
                  I might be able to help you set your options to view pic

Click on Quick links at top right
                  Click edit options
                  Scroll to very bottom
                  At the bottom window Message Editor Interface
                  click on enhanced interface
                  and then save changes
                  I Hope that helps

Rodbolt,
                  thought I would ask again to see if this might help you see some of the thumbnail and other pictures on this site.

Also what thread sealer do you use on head and case bolts?
                  Manual calls for Loctite 572 and I am having a hard time finding it

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    Does the drilling holes mean automatic replacement of the housing or do you not drill that deep to need to replace?
                    g
                    From his description, it won't damaga the carrier's function, putting the screws into the carrier just gives you two places to grab the carrier and lift it out of the block EVENLY.

Just don't drill crazy deep as it isn't needed.
                    Scott
                    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yea, I just am not sure where to drill the holes without knowing how thick it is at different places. Getting a look at one out would help

Comment

My money is that its machined the same thickness to sit in the block all around.

I would drill where the notches are (in the case, for better access to the screws you insert).

How thick or deep that piece is IDK, looking at the exterior case may help. You shouldn't need approx 1/4" deep hole for the screws to work.

It'd have to be that deep just to hold the seal.

Obviously, Rod should be able to give a more detailed answer.. I'm sure he's busy on a Monday am at the shop..
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

typically any removal will destroy that seal carrier.
                          I use gel seal or 518 on the crank case halves and bolts.
                          I use pipe sealent with Teflon on the ex cover and cyl head and cover bolts.
                          but if the seals are not leaking why do ypou wish to remove the seal carrier from the lower unit?

Comment

Thanks again Rodbolt for the info,

That is what I was thinking would happen with the housing. Not much to pry against anyway

You are correct in that if it is not leaking I should just leave it alone.

I am just killing time waiting on parts and crank to show up so I can put it all back together.
                            Have not resealed this 1999 motor lower unit yet, and was gathering info on parts and procedure as I will need to do it sooner or later.
                            I believe this is the 518 you speak of that I ordered
                            http://www.boats.net/parts/detail/ya...TE5-18-31.html

I did find some Permatex 59214 listed at local auto part store that should replace the 572 I was looking for

Last edited by 99yam40; 02-02-2015, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Crank showed up yesterday
                              I picked up the thread sealant today,
                              but am still waiting for all the gaskets and seals to show up at my door.

I was messing with the power head doing final cleaning and decided to test the check valves pressed into the motor. 3 of the 4 failed to seal/check.

What normally causes them to fail?

Lean sneezes popping them, trash/carbon getting into them, or just fatigue?

I will try to flush them, but not sure if some cleaners in pressurized cans will hurt what they are made of.

Anyone have info on them and best way to flush out?
                              gas oil mixture is what I will try 1st as that is what runs through them.

Well that did no good.
                              So what is the best way to get them out?
                              Vice grips or some other way?

they show 2 650-11370-00-00
                              and 2 688-11370-00-00
                              Anyone know what the difference is between them?
                              Last edited by 99yam40; 02-04-2015, 06:18 PM.

Comment

FUUUKING old age dude
                                how long you want a high performance motor that really gets no maint to live ????

when was the last nascar sprint what the fook ever run you ever heard where the bragged about 4 yr old cooling systems and last years gas : ???????
                                \
                                you MUST and HAVE to understand.
                                your motor was and is still built to standards that even bubba nascar cannot match.

luckily ALL the engineering work is done.
                                all YOU have to do is reassemble your parts.

yep its that simple.

Comment

Working...
                                X