2002 90hp water spraying in bottom cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

water leak 3rd cylinder

Had same problem there is a hole in the Exhaust Inner Cover part # 688-4111-00-1S be sure to replace both gaskets and torque properly.

Comment

I found the problem everyone!!! I pulled off the head cover a found a good size hole in the water jacket lower port side... Stuck a wd-40 straw in the whole gave it a quick spray and what do you know it starts spraying out of the spark plug hole.... I took a pic for everyone to see... Just want to say thanks for all the help!! So I'm gussing I have to buy a new head right??? Shouldn't be to expensive I hope
      Attached Files

Comment

Here is the money shot
        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by ajpumo01 View Post
          I found the problem everyone!!! I pulled off the head cover a found a good size hole in the water jacket lower port side... Stuck a wd-40 straw in the whole gave it a quick spray and what do you know it starts spraying out of the spark plug hole.... I took a pic for everyone to see... Just want to say thanks for all the help!! So I'm gussing I have to buy a new head right??? Shouldn't be to expensive I hope
          Excellent, just what I thought...

I had the same issue with a Mercury given to me decades ago. I trimmed down a piece of aluminum (head was part of the block) and had it heliarced in. Ran great after that..

You may be able to do the same but the surrounding area needs to be cleaned out of ALL CORROSION and see how big the hole really is.

Keep in mind, if you have a hole there, there's likely another hole corroded elsewhere on the head not leaking yet. IMO, I'd get a new or used head(in excelent condition).
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Yea the overall inside is pretty corroded and most likely will fail me again so I think I'm just going to fix it right and buy a new head and head cover... Did a quick parts lookup and everything should total to about 250 bucks... Not to bad,,, a lot cheaper than taking it it to a shop... Glad I was able to fix it on my own with your guys help... Thx again

Comment

Its likely the cylinder water passages are crappy too (salt build up) and often the reason for overheat issues.

I would clean them really well, and if the one bank is crappy, the other side will be the same.

Again, IMO, pull the other head (same as before-pull the water cover too) and clean those out too, (cylinder water passages, head/cover).

Future fresh water flushing (if used in salt water) ASAP after use is the best thing you can do to slow that corrosion
              Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                Its likely the cylinder water passages are crappy too (salt build up) and often the reason for overheat issues.

I would clean them really well, and if the one bank is crappy, the other side will be the same.

Again, IMO, pull the other head (same as before-pull the water cover too) and clean those out too, (cylinder water passages, head/cover).

Future fresh water flushing (if used in salt water) ASAP after use is the best thing you can do to slow that corrosion
                How many heads does a Yamaha 90 have?

Comment

must be one of those new v3 cylinder motors

You know we can not let you slide on that

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                    must be one of those new v3 cylinder motors

You know we can not let you slide on that
                    Haven't ya all heard of the very rare, Yamaha, V3 90hp???

You can't even find it in the parts fisch!!!
                    Scott

Comment

Working...
                    X