2002 90hp water spraying in bottom cylinder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2002 90hp water spraying in bottom cylinder

hello, i have a 2002 90hp yamaha 2 stroke. I recently received an overheat alarm. I came down until the alarm cleared ( about 8 min) then i went home at a slow speed and did not receive the alarm again... changed out water pump and thermostat... no more overheat.... but after my first trip i was not able to get my boat on plane and it would only make about 2500-2800 rpms. after some trouble shooting i noticed number 3 cylinder wasn't firing... i hooked the eng up using the flush hose with the spark plug removed and noticed a small stream of water spraying either into the cylinder of in the vicinity of it... hard to tell with the cover on... the water is spraying from the lower left hand side if you standing behind the boat looking forward... i though it was a bad head gasket so just got done changing that but still have the same problem.... anyone have any ideas on what it could be... when i had the head of i didn't see any warping or holes or cracks anywhere... cylinders looked good with no rust or scoring what so ever... Please Help!!!!!!!

Did you check both surface flatness's were within tolerance?
    With the spark plug in does water leak externally?
    Last edited by greasyshaft; 11-12-2014, 12:16 AM.

Comment

its either the gasket for the head, the head or the ex divider has a hole in it.
      that's about all that will allow water into the cylinder.
      and the ex is on the port side.

we actually like using terms like PORT and STARBOARD rather than as your standing on the dock barking at the moon.
      cuts confusion.

Comment

If I am standing in the boat, looking at the motor, and the problem is on my port side, is that the left or right hand side of the motor?

Too bad that the motors are not mounted in front so that boaters would not get confused about left, right, port, starboard.

Now, if I am upside down with my head in the bilge, what is really up and what is really down?

What if I go down under to Australia? What is up and what is down?

How does low pressure become known as vacuum?

Does current flow from positive to negative or from negative to positive? If current flow from negative to positive, why are diodes shown backwards in electrical diagrams?

How can adding more resistance to an electrical circuit actually decrease electrical resistance and cause more current flow?

Why do folks/Yamaha refer to switches as on or off when really they are open or closed?

Why do folks panic when their alarm goes off? An alarm being off is a good thing.

Why do folks refer to a Yamaha alarm as beeping when really it is a steady tone?

How can Yamaha say that a Yamaha SHO/Offshore cylinder wall has plasma peel when plasma is the fourth state of matter?

This physics stuff can get confusing. With all of this confusion, how is it possible that we can communicate with each other?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          If I am standing in the boat, looking at the motor, and the problem is on my port side, is that the left or right hand side of the motor?

Too bad that the motors are not mounted in front so that boaters would not get confused about left, right, port, starboard.

Now, if I am upside down with my head in the bilge, what is really up and what is really down?

What if I go down under to Australia? What is up and what is down?

How does low pressure become known as vacuum?

Does current flow from positive to negative or from negative to positive? If current flow from negative to positive, why are diodes shown backwards in electrical diagrams?

How can adding more resistance to an electrical circuit actually decrease electrical resistance and cause more current flow?

Why do folks/Yamaha refer to switches as on or off when really they are open or closed?

Why do folks panic when their alarm goes off? An alarm being off is a good thing.

Why do folks refer to a Yamaha alarm as beeping when really it is a steady tone?

How can Yamaha say that a Yamaha SHO/Offshore cylinder wall has plasma peel when plasma is the fourth state of matter?

This physics stuff can get confusing. With all of this confusion, how is it possible that we can communicate with each other?

Can you repeat that?
          I only caught part of it

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
            its either the gasket for the head, the head or the ex divider has a hole in it.
            that's about all that will allow water into the cylinder.
            and the ex is on the port side.

we actually like using terms like PORT and STARBOARD rather than as your standing on the dock barking at the moon.
            cuts confusion.
            Yea I don't think it's he head gasket because I just changed... What is the ex divider??

Comment

exhaust is what he was talking about
              But if you are saying water is spraying out of the block/ head conection I do not think that would be the problem

Comment

the guy has a problem and he gets douchbag replies .....sad

Comment

I think the original description of the water spraying someplace was not specific enough, I sure cant work out where he means, after reading it 5 times, also, just because you replaced the head gasket, does not eliminate it as a suspect, the water wasn't spraying before you replaced the head gasket was it? maybe a picture would make things easier to grasp?

Comment

I Did answer.
                    on the flush device with the plug out if you can see water spraying in the cyl then either the head,head gasket,ex divider plate is leaking.
                    the ex on the 2 stroke 90 happens to be on the left as your standing behind the motor looking fwd barking at the moon.
                    this also happens to be the PORT side of the boat.
                    the pointy end is the BOW and the mostly square end is the STERN, the last side is STARBOARD.
                    keeps confusion down.
                    if the leak is external to the cyl it could also be a leaking head cover but an external leak wont kill a cyl.

Comment

We're assuming you replaced part #2(the actual head gasket, correct)?;

2002 90TLRA Yamaha Outboard CYLINDER CRANKCASE Diagram and Parts

Not just the cover gasket, part #36
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by jb123 View Post
                        the guy has a problem and he gets douchbag replies .....sad
                        And you helped him a bunch

Comment

Yes I changed the actual head gasket not the cover gasket... I didn't remove the head cover because I did not have a gasket to replace it.. I'm thinking of trying to replace that gasket as well because the more I look at where the water is coming from, it looks more and more like its not actually sparing into the cylinder but external of the cylinder... Like I said from my original post the cylinder it self looks to clean to have water intrusion... I will try and post some pics if I can get a good one... Thx for the ideas everyone...

Comment

Originally posted by ajpumo01 View Post
                            Yes I changed the actual head gasket not the cover gasket... I didn't remove the head cover because I did not have a gasket to replace it.. I'm thinking of trying to replace that gasket as well because the more I look at where the water is coming from, it looks more and more like its not actually sparing into the cylinder but external of the cylinder... Like I said from my original post the cylinder it self looks to clean to have water intrusion... I will try and post some pics if I can get a good one... Thx for the ideas everyone...
                            Thanks.

I know you inspected but under that cover may be some corrosion to the head itself allowing water (with the low PSI of the water Pump) to get into the combustion chamber.

If you have access to a Leak down tester and air compressor, get that cylinder to TDC and lock up the flywheel or motor so it doesn't turn over.

Pressurize that cylinder and check for leakdown. If the head/block, has a hairline crack, corrosion, it will show up on the leak down test.. Air will blow out of the combustion chamber and likely into the head itself (if that's the issue) and into the area (water jacket under that cover).

A spritz with soapy water, etc will show bubbling/leaking and pin point down the area..

Good luck
                            Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 11-13-2014, 04:02 PM.
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I read it as an external water leak, not internal, so to find it shouldn't be that hard?

Comment

Working...
                              X