Upgraded to 2020 VF225 Trim gauge not working

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Upgraded to 2020 VF225 Trim gauge not working

I recently had my 04' HPDI on a skeeter swapped out for a 2020 SHO and the trim gauge isn't working. There seems to be power to the gauge. Any ideas on what to check first?

Standalone trim gauge or integrated within the multifunction tachometer?

Comment

Standalone trim gauge! I think it is a teleflex gauge?

Comment

A 2004 HPDI used a Yamaha 8 wire harness to get engine data up to the tachometer and the trim gauge. A VF225 uses a Yamaha 4 wire harness to get engine data to the tachometer and trim gauge.

Now since your boat is not using Yamaha gauges it is anyone's guess how the boat (and motor) is wired. You might want to inspect the motor to see if the four pin connector (that would normally be connected to a Yamaha 4 wire harness) is being utilized. The pink wire attached to the connector is the wire that conveys the motor trim angle to the gauge.

Comment

Looks like they plugged the green with a red stripe into the pink wire on the 4 pin connector on the new engine. The four pin connector contains a solid pink wire (they plugged the green with red stripe into), 1 pink with white stripe and 2 pink with black stripe (all of which are blank).

Comment

What ever wire colour in the harness that connects to the pink wire connector on the engine side connector needs to be connected to the trim sender.
            zpnk.jpg
            Last edited by boscoe99; 03-27-2020, 10:43 PM.

Comment

The only green w/red stripe wire under my console goes to my Low Oil light? The trim gauge has a solid green wire. I'm thinking they just grabbed the first green wire out of the 4 pin connector and hooked it to the pink trim wire in the new motors 4 pin connector?

Comment

I really appreciate your help with this! Would you happen to know what the other wires in the new motos connector are for? Not getting a warm fuzzy feeling about my installers yamaha technician at the moment.

Comment

Originally posted by kennyb118 View Post
                  Iwhat the other wires in the new motos connector are for?

Comment

Thanks!!! That gives me something to work with! Taking it out again tomorrow to finish the first 2 hours of break in. Then i'll work on wires and if lucky take it out again before they close all fishinig in the state.

Stay safe!

Comment

Working...
                    X