• Time
  • Show
Clear All

makes you wonder what whipper that kid was snappering on

actually he said snipper not snapper

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
      actually he said snipper not snapper
      Ha! You're right - I read it as "snapper"! Maybe I'm a Jedi master - mind over matter and all that... Or maybe I just read too quickly...
      2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
      1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Yeah everyone I know in Oz calls it a Whipper Snipper instead of a weed wacker.

I actually had to get a dictionary to understand many things my relatives said. The rhyming slang is especially tough.
        My mother in-law told me to put something in the harbor bridge. Well harbor bridge rhymes with fridge, so what she really meant was put in the fridge.

Comment

Originally posted by ChevyKeith View Post
          Yeah everyone I know in Oz calls it a Whipper Snipper instead of a weed wacker.

I actually had to get a dictionary to understand many things my relatives said. The rhyming slang is especially tough.
          My mother in-law told me to put something in the harbor bridge. Well harbor bridge rhymes with fridge, so what she really meant was put in the fridge.
          The rhyming slang is slowly disappearing, it came about because Australia was made up from illiterate convicts and was used as a code between them (not that the harbour bridge was around then). Funny though, it sometimes is easy to work out. Eg. If at the dinner table someone says pass me the dead horse, not many people here would hesitate handing over the tomato sauce (ketchup).
          Sounds near enough, is good enough in our easy going nature, we sometimes are not too worried about using correct words or proper English.
          I am old enough to remember the imperial measurements and in some ways we have multiple systems still in use. I still use the term 4 x 2 (four b two), more now as something I would use to hit someone with: maybe to whack some displeasing whipper snipper or whipper snapper (I use either term) behind the head with!

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

The rhyming slang is slowly disappearing, it came about because Australia was made up from illiterate convicts and was used as a code between them (not that the harbour bridge was around then). Funny though, it sometimes is easy to work out. Eg. If at the dinner table someone says pass me the dead horse, not many people here would hesitate handing over the tomato sauce (ketchup).
            Sounds near enough, is good enough in our easy going nature, we sometimes are not too worried about using correct words or proper English.
            I am old enough to remember the imperial measurements and in some ways we have multiple systems still in use. I still use the term 4 x 2 (four b two), more now as something I would use to hit someone with: maybe to whack some displeasing whipper snipper or whipper snapper (I use either term) behind the head with!
            It's interesting to hear the differences in, basically, the same language, from one geographical area to another. For example... you said "4x2". Here in the States it's a "2x4"... but often used for the same purposes -- Expecially in NJ...
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Working...
            X