V4 115 Lower Unit Install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V4 115 Lower Unit Install

Looking for help installing a used lower unit I purchased on eBay.

This unit will not shift into F N R consistently. I installed the unit in Forward. After the drive shaft was inserted into the powerhead, and shift shaft lined up, I rotated the prop with my hands, slipped immediately into halfway neutral... clicks and then sometimes picks up Forward again when continuing to rotate prop. I disconnected the controls and shifted manually to ensure full stroke, symptoms did not change. I can get into reverse but Neutral and Forward seem to have issues. probably a clutch dog or gear wear I assume.

Any other tests I could do to make sure?

Remove lower unit and put it in neutral by turning shifter with pliers....put remotecontrol in neutral..then re-install and you should be good to go..

Comment

Do you know for sure if the new gear case is good? just because the seller says it is, does not always mean it's good.

Comment

With the drive removed, does the propeller act appropriately when manually shifting the drive and rotating the prop? If so, you may have just knocked the shifter out a bit on install.
        2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
        1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

I'm sure the LU is not good. With the drive removed I cannot find neutral to save my life. While turning the prop and the shifter at the same time I cannot feel any distinction between gear change.

Comment

How much did you pay for this used unit?....does the shifter feel like it's doing anything when you move it?

Comment

I am just guessing here, but if it is a twist shift and not a push pull, then you have not turned it far enough to get to neutral and rev

Comment

Robert: This was a $700 dollar unit after shipping. I'm returning it so the company is taking responsibility, I'm just trying to educate myself to the symptoms. The unit is a shift unit.I can move the shift shaft on the LU by hand.. I do not feel anything while turning the shaft while rotating the prop.

I cannot get the unit to shift into neutral when on the bench. when installed, I cannot keep the unit in forward... the unit will shift into a semi neutral..click click.... jump in and out of gear... I'll get another and go form there.

Comment

the shift shaft can be rotated 360 degrees, but not all that way with the fingers.
                  it should move easily by hand but stop at some point and need to use pliers to move it farther into neutral and reverse

Comment

My lower unit does not rotate 360 degrees maybe 90 deg or a little more.
                    I have an extra shift shaft I"m using by hand, no pliers. like the picture. I do not feel any difference between locations while rotating the prop. I tried to turn the shifter rather hard but I don't think its going any further.

Comment

Long story short I tested another lower unit, I can clearly identify each gear when turning the shaft. 100% Something is wrong with this one, I appreciate everyones help.

Comment

yep, the 115s I looked up are different that my C40TLRX

by the way it is best to give a complete model # when asking questions about a motor, so the proper parts break down for your motor can be looked up

Comment

Working...
                        X