1999 F50TLRX Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

What is the WOT rpm range for that model? Is the motor trimmed up at all?

WOT.JPG

Comment

I went with an 11 pitch. When the engine is trimmed all the way in, I can now reach 6000 RPM, but when level, the RPM's will exceed that. Also I dropped about 4 MPH. The boat was doing about 28 into the wind. I'm thinking I should have went with a 12 pitch, which I might just do. The take off to reach plane is fairly decent, but slower speeds are annoying because the bow is high. I was going to go with a fin for the engine, but after reading the mixed reviews, I decided against that. A boat that is being salvaged by a neighbor has some high end pneumatic trim tabs which he said I could have. They are small but are on a much larger boat. I wish I had the brand and model number, but I have misplace it. Would be nice If they will work on my boat.

Comment

If you need to run with the motor trimmed down all of the way to keep the bow down, you need a tail or some transom wedges maybe.

my C40 came with a tail on it.
        I took it off and could not keep the boat from porposing even with the motor trimmed in all of the way.
        I put the tail back on and hove no problems with it.
        But then you are not complaining about that happening.
        boat should run on plane with 1/2 or 2/3 of hull out of water

I would hate to drill holes in the boat to mount tabs

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          If you need to run with the motor trimmed down all of the way to keep the bow down, you need a tail or some transom wedges maybe.

my C40 came with a tail on it.
          I took it off and could not keep the boat from porposing even with the motor trimmed in all of the way.
          I put the tail back on and hove no problems with it.
          But then you are not complaining about that happening.
          boat should run on plane with 1/2 or 2/3 of hull out of water

I would hate to drill holes in the boat to mount tabs
          I went and took the tab system off. It is in very good condition. Turned out to be a Zipwake 300S. It is electric, not pneumatic as I had thought. Unfortunately it is too big for my boat. Mine is a 15 footer and this system was designed for 20-60 feet hulls.

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckB1954 View Post
            I went with an 11 pitch. When the engine is trimmed all the way in, I can now reach 6000 RPM, but when level, the RPM's will exceed that. Also I dropped about 4 MPH. The boat was doing about 28 into the wind. I'm thinking I should have went with a 12 pitch, which I might just do. The take off to reach plane is fairly decent, but slower speeds are annoying because the bow is high. I was going to go with a fin for the engine, but after reading the mixed reviews, I decided against that. A boat that is being salvaged by a neighbor has some high end pneumatic trim tabs which he said I could have. They are small but are on a much larger boat. I wish I had the brand and model number, but I have misplace it. Would be nice If they will work on my boat.
            I am not sure what you mean by slower speeds and high bow.
            can you explain .
            you should have the trim all the way in when you take off which would push the bow down.
            once on plane you need to pull back on the throttle a little (no reason to be running WOT all the time)and bump the trim up some to get the bow up a little, but not where it rides too high
            Last edited by 99yam40; 10-13-2019, 03:49 PM.

Comment

I am not sure what you mean by slower speeds and high bow.
              can you explain .
              you should have the trim all the way in when you take off which would push the bow down.
              once on plane you need to pull back on the throttle a little (no reason to be running WOT all the time)and bump the trim up some to get the bow up a little, but not where it rides too high
              I want the bow lower at slower speeds..say 1/4 throttle. I shouldn't to have the trim all the way in to do so.

Comment

the higher you trim a motor up the higher the bow will go, that is just the way it works.
                never heard of someone using smart tabs on a 15 ft boat, but maybe that is what you will need if you do not use the motor trim

Comment

the higher you trim a motor up the higher the bow will go, that is just the way it works.
                  never heard of someone using smart tabs on a 15 ft boat, but maybe that is what you will need if you do not use the motor trim
                  Yes, I guess I will have to get use to it. It might improve when I put the trol ling motor up front.

Comment

Maybe part of my planing problem is the weight of the 4 cylinder Yamaha 50HP 4 stroke. This boat came originally came with a 2 cylinder Yamaha 55HP 2 stroke, about 50 pounds lighter.

Comment

50 lbs does not seem that bad, but if batteries and gas tank are also toward the back it all adds up.
                      *****ing batteries ( those extra batteries for your electric motor)need to find a home not in the very back.

but then you do not want to beat those batteries around too much too
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 10-13-2019, 07:27 PM.

Comment

50 lbs does not seem that bad, but if batteries and gas tank are also toward the back it all adds up.
                        *****ing batteries need to find a home not in the very back
                        20 gallon gas tank under center deck, but battery in the back.. then two, 200 LB guys sitting in the back, me and my friend.

Sure wish the Zipwake would work on my boat! It's so cool and cost over 2K new!

Capture.JPG

Comment

I’ve seen guys use smart tabs on these 15 ft heap o sht Boston Whalers around here. Look like little yacht tenders. Ride like crap without them.

Comment

back in the good old days we just set the pin on the motor angle and ran it.
                            the T&T made a big difference in the way we run smaller boats.
                            they even made some outboards with only tilt. could not trim under load.
                            you have the T&T so use it.

Comment

back in the good old days we just set the pin on the motor angle and ran it.
                              the T&T made a big difference in the way we run smaller boats.
                              they even made some outboards with only tilt. could not trim under load.
                              you have the T&T so use it.
                              I do use my trim. My trim gauge is operational and accurate. I have always had a full understanding of how using the trim switch affects the plane. Using the trim does not resolve what I feel is a problem. It's annoying having to practically go WOT (with the tilt all the way forward) to get the bow down with two people on board and in the back.
                              Last edited by ChuckB1954; 10-14-2019, 12:50 AM.

Comment

When I re-powered to the 4 stroke, that little bit (probably 50lbs) of extra weight made porposing(sp?) an issue.

Before, it wasn't an issue. Now, it's much more an issue and proper trimming is essential to not porpoise.

With that said, the boat (20'4" CC) does get on plane very quickly (3 seconds maybe-as quick as the old V6 Evinrude) but it does take 3/4 to full throttle. It'll stay on plane as slow as 25MPH. Cruising speed is 35-40 MPH with WOT at 44MPH(GPS)
                                Scott
                                1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                                X