1999 F50TLRX Noise

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1999 F50TLRX Noise

I did all the fine tuning on my recently installed carbs, other than the synchronizing and for the first time I heard this unknown noise. All I have done to this engine was to adjust the valves and replace the carbs. Never heard this noise before.Here are some videos. Hopefully someone can tell me what is is. I am willing to accept the bad (or good) news.

Comment

Comment

Comment

Sounds almost like an intake/silencer sound....maybe run the motor with the silencer removed to try to identify source of sound?

Comment

popping back into the intake maybe.
            seems pushing on the front made a difference
            might try redoing the valve adjustments.

did you have to do a lot of adjusting to them ?

did you try a mechanics stethoscope or long screwdriver to your ear to see if you can find a sorce
            Last edited by 99yam40; 08-20-2019, 09:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
              Sounds almost like an intake/silencer sound....maybe run the motor with the silencer removed to try to identify source of sound?
              I would have to pull the carbs off again and use spacers. The silencer is an critical part of the assembly.

The silencer has always been on there. This noise just started today. I mentioned in another thread that I could take the flywheel(crankshaft) and rock it slightly back and fourth indicating play in the small or big end. I asked it it was normal but never got a solid answer. Was told basically to not worry about.. Jut put the boat in the water and run it. Maybe it is showing up now because the carbs aren't synchronized?? Maybe I am jumping the gun though.
              Last edited by ChuckB1954; 08-20-2019, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                popping back into the intake maybe.
                seems pushing on the front made a difference
                might try redoing the valve adjustments.

did you have to do a lot of adjusting to them ?
                Not really.. I should have left them alone, but I did adjust them in the middle of the range and did a careful job since I had already took the cover off.

Comment

thinking about it more, could a 4 stroke pop back thru the intake due to lean cylinders?
                  I do not think so.

I guess it is time for a leak down test to see if all of the valves are seating properly.

hope a valve did not hit a piston or valve sticking in a guide

Comment

Sounds like some loose in the intake box or somewhere else on the engine..not an engine knock. It seemed to have stopped in one of those videos briefly.

Comment

thinking about it more, could a 4 stroke pop back thru the intake due to lean cylinders?
                      I do not think so.

I guess it is time for a leak down test to see if all of the valves are seating properly.

hope a valve did not hit a piston or valve sticking in a guide
                      Maybe I should check the valve adjustment again.. it's a pain, but it only takes about 1/2 hour. Only thing I messed with other than the carbs..but, I know they are correct.. plenty of play.

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                      Sounds like some loose in the intake box or somewhere else on the engine..not an engine knock. It seemed to have stopped in one of those videos briefly.
                      I will consider that and do an inspection. When I block the opening with my hand as shown in the video #3, it seems to stop. I sure pray it is not an engine knock.. thanks for the hope.. maybe I should put the kool aid away!

Last edited by ChuckB1954; 08-20-2019, 10:43 PM.

Comment

maybe it is a screw from the throttle valve to shaft that is beating on the top of piston.

only 2 things were done carbs and adjusting valves, take your pick

Comment

maybe it is a screw from the throttle valve to shaft that is beating on the top of piston.

only 2 things were done carbs and adjusting valves, take your pick
                          No way..Could never happen..

Comment

Bore-scope just to rule out the pistons hitting something inside the cylinders.

you have to wonder why those carbs were sold
                            someone parted out a motor due to some bad thing happening to it.

Did you go thru the carbs before installing on your motor?
                            was this the 1st time the motor was started with these carbs?

I found out My C40 closed up the gap on #2 spark plug last week.
                            not all of the way, but it started an erratic miss firing .

I will run it out on the water today after cleaning and regapping the plugs.
                            I may need to find a bore scope and inspect my cylinders also

Comment

I'd pull one plug wire at a time (ground to engine) and see if the noise lessens...

That noise is too regular and sounds as if it's being amplified thru the air box..

And nothing would last that long bouncing around the combustion chamber..
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X