Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha V4 115 BETO Starter Motor Cone sheared

Morning,

I have a V4 115BETO acquired recently I have worked through some major starting issues over the last few weeks and now after 5 attempts at launching and problem solving we had a successful run at the weekend.

The next day when trying to start on the slip way the starter motor nose cone sheared off completely after two attempts at starting, the engine fired and ran, then died as the bulb was soft.
    On the second attempt the nose cone sheared off.

I have sourced a new starter motor but am concerned about a possible underlying problem that caused the starter motor to shear.

Is it likely there was too much pressure on the 25 year old starter motor as it received heavy use trying to start the engine these last few weeks when the carbs were dirty and fuel line blocked or whether it is an indication of another underlying problem?

The engine is not ceased and the flywheel moves freely.

Thanks
    Stop8

What year motor and can you post a close up picture of the damage?

I suspect if it cranked fine all those times (and years), you probably didn't have any clearance (between the flywheel and starter) issues.

If the flywheel is un-damaged, mounting points for the starter fine, I'd think the starter just failed, worn out inner bushings, etc..

Scott
    1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Thanks I can post some pics in a few days. It looks to me like it just sheared off as a result of age

Comment

Do you know the year engine, I'd like to look up the parts diagram.
        Scott

Comment

its a 1991 Yamaha V4 115 BETO, pic of serial number attached

Comment

Thanks.

Can't find it listed, must be an out of US model...
            Scott

Comment

yep BETO is not from this area

Comment

It's hard to find solid info on the early arrival 115's but I was able to find a complete replacement after a lot of digging
                i can tell ya that some early tahotsu starters work, I put 1 on mine and went fishing until I got the correct one
                I will see if I can find my old one and get the shipping receipt out and post the place I got it
                in the mean time I'll post what pics I have

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  yep BETO is not from this area
                  If I had a motor with BETO in the model description I would grind it out. BETO no bueno.

Comment

I bought the engine in Mallorca, Spain not sure if it travelled from further away over its life but is a European model I believe

Comment

Just curious, can you post a pic or two, fairly close up of where the damage is exactly?
                      Scott

Comment

The new starter arrived yesterday and I fitted this morning. Engine started so all good. I have attached two pics of the damage to the old starter.
                        Thanks

Comment

The armature shaft broke!

Your post sounded like the external mounting housing had broken..

Looks like the armature failed from fatigue- Doesn't happen often but it's machined down considerably right where it broke

Anyway, you should be fine
                          Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 08-10-2019, 06:46 AM.
                          Scott

Comment

Thanks and yes it looks like it was just old. Its surprising how much heat the starter generates when turning over and the heating and cooling over 25 years plus the work it has to do turning an engine this size is probably the root cause.

The local Yamaha dealer her in Mallorca said 800€ for a new starter and 2 weeks minimum to come from Japan as the supplier in Holland was out of stock.
                            The replacement part I sourced was new with a 12 month warranty for £135 from a place in Wales, UK but its not Yamaha, its made by Arrowhead.

Hopefully it will last a good few years.

Cheers

Comment

Working...
                            X