F60 2006 slight prop movement up and down

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
    I'm guessing that bearing #45, 49 and seals is what'll be needed (that's W/O inspecting):
    https://www.boats.net/catalog/yamaha...casing-drive-1

Your carrier obviously needs to come out and those bearings replaced.

**That video goes WAY deeper than you need to. Their tearing the entire unit apart.

Do a search on You Tube for "Danger Marine". He has a bunch of videos there, explained in plain English for the layman..

Yes, that's what I was planning to do, I realize that yamaha video is taking a part the whole lower unit, I did concentrate on the bearing carrier but what I'm afraid of is being able to get old bearings and the gear out, then pressing the new in.
    I actually watched danger Marine videos as well, unfortunately he doesn't show how to on those bearings.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HRpf...w&index=3&t=0s

Comment

If it's not moving around, up/down, side to side enough to cause the seals to leak then maybe just old/loose/warn bearings.....maybe run it like it is....how much is the movement?... Like a few thousandths of an inch?... More?

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
        If it's not moving around, up/down, side to side enough to cause the seals to leak then maybe just old/loose/warn bearings.....maybe run it like it is....how much is the movement?... Like a few thousandths of an inch?... More?
        Thanks for reply Robert!
        The movement is not enough for the prop even to touch the bearing carrier, I would say paper thickness.

I just called local shop that fixes Yamaha bikes and they placed the order for me. Parts 44, 47, 46,46,48,49,49
        They do not work on outboards, but I just hope
        if I'm in trouble taking the old bearings out they should have the proper tools if they are Yamaha certified repair shop.
        Last edited by lifeisfun; 08-02-2019, 12:11 PM.

Comment

You shouldn't need a press to get those bearings out of the carrier.

Knocking them out a socket slightly smaller should work fine or working with an extension back and forth (evenly to the bearing) should be ample..

Installing you can't smack the inner part of the bearing, strictly the outside of it.. Freezing the bearing will shrink it some, that would make it a little easier pushing back into the carrier(but have to work quick)..
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
            You shouldn't need a press to get those bearings out of the carrier.

Knocking them out a socket slightly smaller should work fine or working with an extension back and forth (evenly to the bearing) should be ample..

Installing you can't smack the inner part of the bearing, strictly the outside of it.. Freezing the bearing will shrink it some, that would make it a little easier pushing back into the carrier(but have to work quick)..
            Thanks for the tips, still not sure how to remove the gear first
            https://youtu.be/BmoDIegkA8M?t=509

Comment

I think you need a shop.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                I think you need a shop.
                Nice to have specific tools for that LU.
                But if you look carefully, an appropriate drift, modified long puller and a standard bearing (wedge) puller is about all that is needed.

Nice to use a press but taping method can be used - noticed that the removal of a ball bearing had a standard puller on the outside race with the press pushing the inside race. Not a good practice as the bearing cannot be used again. Popping bearings that way also exposes the parts to damage, as the inner race will wobble around with balls trying to find centering on the INSIDE edge, that they are really is not designed to do.

But daunting task to be sure; at first you can't see what you are doing and very possibility you will be stumped at the first hurdle trying to undo that carrier nut!

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

Nice to have specific tools for that LU.
                  But if you look carefully, an appropriate drift, modified long puller and a standard bearing (wedge) puller is about all that is needed.

Nice to use a press but taping method can be used - noticed that the removal of a ball bearing had a standard puller on the outside race with the press pushing the inside race. Not a good practice as the bearing cannot be used again. Popping bearings that way also exposes the parts to damage, as the inner race will wobble around with balls trying to find centering on the INSIDE edge, that they are really is not designed to do.

But daunting task to be sure; at first you can't see what you are doing and very possibility you will be stumped at the first hurdle trying to undo that carrier nut!
                  The motor is taken out of water every time after use and is used in fresh water only so I hope the carrier won't be seized.
                  I purchased new bearings so damaging the old on removal would not be a problem.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    I think you need a shop.
                    It could end that way, but I will give it a shot ....

Comment

Will this kit should make my life easier?
                      Opinions please
                      https://www.amazon.ca/8milelake-Bear.../dp/B073ZB3SQ9
                      Or would you recommend something different?

thanks

Comment

it does say mini

do you realize 1 inch = 25.4 mm

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          it does say mini

do you realize 1 inch = 25.4 mm
                          Yes, I do operate in metric and standard I have no clue what size of parts expect inside tho .
                          So, good idea just go bigger ?
                          https://www.amazon.ca/8milelake-Bear.../dp/B06XZMR5L7

Comment

I have no idea what size the bearings and gears are in your lower unit,
                            but I am fairly sure the mini set was too small

Comment

F60, here is how it looks like, too bad he doesn't show how to replace the bearings
                              https://youtu.be/HRpfaOiXxWo?t=509

Comment

Got the tools need, should get parts tomorrow.
                                I can't believe this but actually looking forward doing the job

Comment

Working...
                                X