idle speed adjustment

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• idle speed adjustment

the manual says preliminary adjustment is to turn out the pilot screw 1-1/4 turn port side, and 3/4 turn out starboard. I use this method on the earmuffs and works perfectly. I also set the idle adjusting screw 1-1/8 turn out. When I put in water, it wants to die. I know how to adjust the pilot screws on a 3 cylinder outboard, but don't know where to start on the 6 cylinders, and the manual doesn't say anything about the final pilot screw adjustments. Where to start, adjust cylinder 1 and 3 together, then 2 and 4? I'm taking the boat to a Yamaha dealer for adjustments but I just like to know how they are adjusted? tks

keep in mund if your motor has sat for any length of time you will need to go thru the carbs or have your dealer do it. alwyas run motor under load to ensure your carb are operating correctly as muffs provide no load.

Comment

keep in mind that the idle will be 150 to 200 rpms higher when on the hose as there is no back pressure. Set your idle a little higher then water test it. You should be able to idle in gear at 500 - 550 rpms without stalling. However, the manual says it's higher (~700 rpms)than what I stated and that's fine as well.

Good luck!

Comment

Working...
      X