Drive shaft question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drive shaft question

I need a 30" driveshaft for a 2003 Z150TLRB HDPI motor... but, none of the parts diagrams show one... so, I was wondering if any of the driveshafts from a different series would fit? Anyone have any experience with this?

what am I missing here, the TLRB uses a 20"
    '

Comment

My current motor has a 25" (it's the XL version)... but, my boat needs a 30" (26" transom)... I bought one of those Bay Mfg extension kits - but, the drive shaft extender won't fit into the driveshaft hole in the mid-case. So, I was hoping to find a 30" shaft that I can fit instead.

Comment

someone on iboats did this:
        If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

description:

What that is is a 1" hole saw turned backwards and locked into place with a 1/2" jam nut. This acts as a pilot. And the 1 1/8" hole saw turned to cut/ream the hole to the size I wanted. It is all mounted on a fine thread drill rod. Hope this helps some one here with a similar problem some day.
          If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Something like that may work... and, I could pull off the mid-case and just bore the top part where the extender goes...

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Nice Guy View Post
              My current motor has a 25" (it's the XL version)... but, my boat needs a 30" (26" transom)... I bought one of those Bay Mfg extension kits - but, the drive shaft extender won't fit into the driveshaft hole in the mid-case. So, I was hoping to find a 30" shaft that I can fit instead.
              If your motor is the X version then it would be a model Z150TXRB. Not a Z150TLRB.

A Z150 was never offered in a Z150TURB configuration. U being the designation for a 30" shaft.

You may have to remove the mid-section bushing in order to fit the existing drive shaft with the Bay Mfg. extension to install the lower unit.
              Last edited by boscoe99; 05-21-2019, 05:52 PM.

Comment

Yeah - it looks like someone retrofitted a 25" mid-section/lower unit on this at some point (the model doesn't match)...
                Yes, you are absolutely correct - will have to do some modification to make it work.

Comment

question,
                  is it the bushing it is not fitting thru?
                  if so could that be removed and modified and out back in or would it need to be left out completely?

Comment

It's the entire shaft length - the entire hole is too small of a diameter. But, I'm thinking I can just bore out the top part for the 5 or 6 inches needed. Just a little time on the milling machine.

Comment

we are asking what hole is it not fitting thru?
                      is it a bushing or not

boring out a hole is different than turning a shaft on a lathe
                      which are you talking about doing?
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 05-22-2019, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X