No announcement yet.

1999 Yamaha 4 stroke F50TLRX running rich

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here are all the loose, unconnected wires under the cover (maybe I missed some). I am hoping they are the ones I need for the missing components. My neighbor just happened to have a nice Clymer Yamaha outboard shop manual and just gifted it to me. I should be able to figure the wiring out.

20190521_165538small.JPG

20190521_165543small.JPG

Comment

looks like a new trailer that would cost that.

has to make me wonder if the person you bought it from ever ran the boat if the pieces are long gone

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
        looks like a new trailer that would cost that.

has to make me wonder if the person you bought it from ever ran the boat if the pieces are long gone
        It's a long story.. to make it short, this is what the boat looked like not too long ago. His son blew up the 2 stroke shown and bought the four stroke. He put it on the boat and said it never ran right. He decided to just get rid of it and buy a new boat. He never really used it with the "new" motor. He rebuilt and painted the trailer right before he got rid of it.

boatSmall.JPG

Comment

Some of the mounting parts may not be available now. I would go to the scrap yard and see what they got.

If worst came to worst I would rig a choke cable out to the engine pan and manually operate the choke plates. You are not far from the engine in that boat.

You guys kill me with the prices on boats down there...I wouldn't get the used trailer for $1500 up here. Nice boat, how long is it?

Comment

It is 15' 2"

No, don't feel bad.. this was a rare opportunity.. Owned by a friend of a friend. My friend called me out of the blue at about 6 PM and said "Stop what you are doing.. go buy this boat.. NOW!!" I owned it by 9PM

I Think I am going to bite the bullet and buy this now for $324.00.. all parts look to be there including the obsolete ones.. Plus many extra carb parts.. Am I crazy? I haven't even checked the compression yet..

Capture.JPG
            Last edited by ChuckB1954; 05-21-2019, 08:09 PM.

Comment

What is the exact model/serial number on the ID tag which is on the transom bracket? I think I have the proper Yamaha manual PDF...

Have a fire tonight on the beach and light it with the Clymer manual.

Comment

this must be one of those motors that Rodbolt said was a nightmare/overly complex

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                  this must be one of those motors that Rodbolt said was a nightmare/overly complex
                  Rube Goldberg comes to mind.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    What is the exact model/serial number on the ID tag which is on the transom bracket? I think I have the proper Yamaha manual PDF...

Have a fire tonight on the beach and light it with the Clymer manual.
                    I would love to have a better manual if this one sucks!

The transom bracket has a lot of corrosion. The only numbers I can read on the tag clearly are the last 2 that show the year. RX=1999..

Comment

You guys kill me with the prices on boats down there...I wouldn't get the used trailer for $1500 up here. Nice boat, how long is it?[/QUOTE]

He got some kinda deal. Pricing has gone wacko here too. I priced a new aluminum trailer couple years ago. $4200. Boat trailer is basically nothing, a rail job. Used horse trailer? $11000.
                      22 ft Sportsman Bay Boat? $68000 New. Sportsman mind you....

Comment

Originally posted by ChuckB1954 View Post

I Think I am going to bite the bullet and buy this now for $324.00.. all parts look to be there including the obsolete ones.. Plus many extra carb parts.. Am I crazy? I haven't even checked the compression yet..
                        As all but carb #4 is NOT available anymore (and that one is over $400), I'd jump on that set. As long as they fit..

Heck you can part out your old carbs (I'd keep as spares) as you know they work to offset the $ of replacement ones. You still have the old motor you can part out too!

I'd probably leave your carb's on and just swap over the solenoids, etc....

Where abouts in Florida are you?
                        Scott
                        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

As all but carb #4 is NOT available anymore (and that one is over $400), I'd jump on that set. As long as they fit..

Heck you can part out your old carbs (I'd keep as spares) as you know they work to offset the $ of replacement ones. You still have the old motor you can part out too!

I'd probably leave your carb's on and just swap over the solenoids, etc....

Where abouts in Florida are you?
                          Thanks! I purchased that moments after posting the picture. I added up the cost of all the parts from Yamaha and saw I was well ahead. Not to mention there were many small pieces that were no longer available.

it's a long story on the two stroke engine that originally came off the boat. My friend who turned me on to this Key West boat had taken the engine and was going to repair it. It was beyond economical repair so he bought a powerhead somewhere that was in very good condition. He sold it to another friend but still they cannot get it running right. It is also missing some pieces. Only the previous owner's son knows what happened to the parts from both of these engines.

I currently reside in Loxahatchee Florida. I have another place in Inverness that I go to on the weekends. This boat will probably stay down here for now as I have a 12ft Jon Boat with an eight horse Yamaha on it up there. That little 12-foot is quite scary! Nowhere near as stable as that Key West boat!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

You guys kill me with the prices on boats down there...I wouldn't get the used trailer for $1500 up here. Nice boat, how long is it?
                            He got some kinda deal. Pricing has gone wacko here too. I priced a new aluminum trailer couple years ago. $4200. Boat trailer is basically nothing, a rail job. Used horse trailer? $11000.
                            22 ft Sportsman Bay Boat? $68000 New. Sportsman mind you....
                            [/QUOTE]

A few of my friends are jealous and cannot believe the deal I got on this boat.

Comment

Key West is a very good boat. My friend had one, a little larger than yours, decades ago...

You got a great deal...
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

The parts should be in within a few days. I will let you know the results.

Comment

Working...
                                X