No announcement yet.

1997 Yamaha 225 Saltwater II Battery question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You're going too fast... back up and keep it simple. Did you run the engine and try the simple tests as listed above? You may be chasing your tail with these diagrams for nothing - it may already be hooked up properly. If the tests are negative, then let's figure it out - but for now, it might all be for not.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by fairdeal View Post

the layout seems a bit odd to me, also - I modified a Blue Sea diagram.

But simply for getting the engine current to the house battery,
      it doesn't matter at all whether you connect the Aux lead direct to the battery,
      to the battery side of the switch, or the 'load' side of the switch.
      I can’t remember sht these days. Trying to remember how many terminals my switch has. All I am sure about is that the house red and aux ring connector are on the same terminal. Terminal/post, whatever the correct term may be.

Yam must be working at the farm.

Comment

Since I have never owned or wired up a rig with a battery switch, I have stayed out of this.

But common sense would say that the battery switch should be able to be turned off so nothing could drain the batteries.

Should or could the Yamaha motor depend on the diodes in the Aux lead to keep that from happening, I do not know.

I plan on heading to the farm to work on fence tomorrow tho

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          Since I have never owned or wired up a rig with a battery switch, I have stayed out of this.

But common sense would say that the battery switch should be able to be turned off so nothing could drain the batteries.

Should or could the Yamaha motor depend on the diodes in the Aux lead to keep that from happening, I do not know.

I plan on heading to the farm to work on fence tomorrow tho
          Not in the aux lead but rather in the rectifier/regulator.

Comment

Originally posted by dmwascher View Post
            My Model number is S225TXRV and I have uploaded the diagram from my book. I will be looking today and see if I can find the port or the red wire that everyone says I should have and get back to everyone.
            Thanks to everyone that is commenting

. 20190327_224325.jpg
            There is a much, MUCH simpler diagram in the Yamaha service manual under "charging system" that easily shows the charging leads coming off the two main fuses. Don't know if matters, but none of the wiring diagrams in the Yamaha service manual look like that.
            2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
            1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

AUX connector.jpg Do you have a round milk white connector with a seal cap on the STBD side of the cowling? I believe that is the connection for the AUX charging circuit if I remember correctly. Mine is a year 2000 ox66 150.

Someone proposed that the two red wires on this both go to the positive of the recipient battery (that Yamaha chose to use two lighter wires as opposed to a single heavier gauge wire) Can anyone confirm this?
              Last edited by FabricGATOR; 04-01-2019, 11:29 AM. Reason: Stole picture from THT
              If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

I remember trying to source the other end of that connector to make a harness that I believe is NLA.

Actually, I believe that this installed [seal plug] can be used as the connector if only we could find the correct contact pins.... I forget if we require male or female pins to fabricate this.

PS: I buy Yamaha type connectors and terminal pins from an Canadian living in Japan through a motorcycle enthusiast Eastern Beaver
                https://easternbeaver.com/
                Last edited by FabricGATOR; 04-01-2019, 11:47 AM.
                If its got teats or tires, you bound to have trouble with it....

Comment

Folks, don't forget the rule of Yamaha. If there is one way or one part to get something done then why not use many ways or many parts?

It appears that the battery cables (aka wire harness) for the OP's model seem to have the isolator lead built in.

Has the OP checked out?

Comment

Working...
                  X