2004 200 OX66 Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Comment

To quote the Eagles "The more I know, the less I understand".

Comment

Boy oh boy! Im sorry. Im using my phone and keep hitting the wrong keys add-Im frustrated. The spec on the fuel pump resistor in my manual is .53-.57 my reading is .6-.7.
        my manual has the fuel pump resistor part but I cant find the atmospheric pressure sensor test.
        Ill proof read from here on out!

Comment

Looks like atmospheric pressure sensor is dead. 0.0v black to pink. (To verify my harness I checked black to pink and got .458ohm) of course it has to be a $230 sensor! Lol

Comment

Don't run off and buy a pressure sensor. A wire could be broken. Or a bad connection.

Why are you reporting an ohms measurement when you are supposed to be testing for voltage?

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
              Don't run off and buy a pressure sensor. A wire could be broken. Or a bad connection.

Why are you reporting an ohms measurement when you are supposed to be testing for voltage?
              As noted in my post, I found it odd that I got a flat 0.0v reading. In order to verify I had a good read I tested for continuity to see if I got a reading. I got .458ohm, while this doesnt say anything for the condition of the sensor it confirms that I was making some level of contact with the connector, thereby, eliminating the chance that the 0.0v reading was due to a poor test probe/connector situation

Comment

dude
                put da meter down.
                back away slowly.
                this stuff aint hard or I would be outta job.
                it DOES require one to understand.
                when was the last time you had your meter met/cal'd?
                my bet is the fuel pump resistor is ok.
                my other bet is you atmospheric sensor is ok.
                with the engine running simply unplug it and see how the ECU reacts.

Comment

Sent both meters to Transcat to be calibrated about 3 months ago. Fluke 115 and 179, didnt send my Southwire out but it is giving me the same reading as the Flukes. I like the Southwire a because the leads are longer.
                  Pulling the APS raises the idle of the engine to 1600-1800rpm. Quite frankly unplugging any of the sensors raises the engine idle to 1600-1800rpm
                  Last edited by Benwa Balls; 12-17-2018, 12:56 PM.

Comment

did you test the 5Vreference input to the sensor?
                    did you check the sensor ground path?
                    typically if that sensor fails it idles high.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                      To quote the Eagles "The more I know, the less I understand".
                      Don Henley solo song...."heart of the matter"
                      Of course Don Henley is still part of the Eagles and performs that song with them quite often.
                      But you probably know that... The Eagles are my favorite band and have seen them twice, best band I ever seen do a live performance by far.

Back to regular scheduled programming.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

Don Henley solo song...."heart of the matter"
                        Of course Don Henley is still part of the Eagles and performs that song with them quite often.
                        But you probably know that... The Eagles are my favorite band and have seen them twice, best band I ever seen do a live performance by far.

Back to regular scheduled programming.
                        True story. No BS.

1972. I had just gotten out of the Navy. Back home in Columbus, Ga. My cousin got tickets to see the group YES at the Omni in Atlanta, Ga. The warm up act was The Eagles. Only song I knew at the time was Witchy Woman. Who knew they would go on to be as big as they are. All time number one Album seller I understand.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          did you test the 5Vreference input to the sensor?
                          did you check the sensor ground path?
                          typically if that sensor fails it idles high.
                          Yes, Im getting 4.67v. (Orange to Black at the APS sensor connector)
                          as far as the ground goes, I think I did the correctly by checking the ground at the connector to the block and get 0.0ohm. I am unsure if this is the correct manner to test the ground path though. On that note I did test all the ground connections on the block and also tested for power to ground and all grounds were good.

Comment

Benwa Balls, you did raise whether your measured resistance of .6 or .7 Ohm is acceptable when .53 to .57 Ohm is specified.
                            It is difficult when measuring such low resistance, as it requires that the meter cables resistance needs to be known, AND extremely good connection needs to be made when taking the reading. Temperature also can have a significant affect.

I raise this, as I over 50 years, can't recall been able to match exactly to what is specified in those part of one ohm resistors, in various resistors in various equipment. Most notably in audio output circuits. And it did not matter.

If you were to do it properly you would need to thoroughly clean a connection and "hardwire" your meter into the circuit. But who would do that? You develop a technique that requires some cleaning around the resistor and your probes, and apply significant pressure.

I raise this bit of trivia, as not only do you need to able to use a MM correctly, but there is also important physical technique to it also.

Comment

Zeno: Here is my process using the Fuel HP Resistor:
                              -clean mounts to ensure clean componant to block or mount.
                              -clean connectors to be tested with 400 grit emory board
                              -test ohm of leads by holding together, read MM, in this case 0.0 ohm
                              -clamp connector to block instead of in hand while trying to take reading
                              -firmly hold leads to connector posts, reverse leads read again. Do three times each

in this case I took readings in the early am, noon and evening. To your point, This is why I believe I got a range of readings between .6 and .7 but never within the factory manual spec at .53-.57
                              I got one today from a buddy who “collects” old motors and it tested out at .54ohm. I will install on Thursday night and report. Reading the wiring diagram and trying best I can to understand the operational therory of this engine Im not sure, even if this resistor is faulty that this is primary reason for the stalling and poor idle. I believe it is running rich at this point. Im positive this is an electric or sensor issue as Ive tested the fuel system from cap on gas tank to the reeds 4 times with no issue. I also ran on a known good 3gallo. Remote with fresh fuel and the problem persisted.

Comment

At .6/.7 ohms the resistor is not faulty.

Comment

Working...
                                X