yamaha 115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
    would you believe how many times I have heard" I only overheated it once.
    I only started it without water once.
    I only ran it on that nasty gas tank once.
    I only ran it out of oil once.

sometimes ya get lucky.
    sometimes all it takes is once.

I don't gamble, I lose.
    that's why I try not to play the odds.

I could bet on a horse in a one horse race and that horse would drop dead and lose.
    I bet you see and hear lots of crazy stuff, just when I thought I had seen it all, this past winter I watched a guy load his boat, never cut off the motor or trimmed it up, hooked up the front got in his truck and pulled it out of the water, up the hill and parked his truck, his motor is still running, all of this just to make sure he got the water out of lower unit

Comment

dude
      I actually have a better story.
      another man named Jed.
      we sold him a new F60.
      took him to the ramp, launced and water tested with him.
      his buddy met us at the return, I left the boat and they went back out.

now is where it gets funny.

they recovered the boat at the ramp in wanchese NC.

drove to his house in manns harbor.
      about 18 miles.

never shut the motor off.

lucky for him all it did was destroy the water pump.
      that was about 5 yrs ago and the motor is still running well.

Comment

You have to wonder how some folks survive...

My across the canal neighbor (don't even know his name), will start BOTH of his two stroke 200+ HP Yamaha's while on the lift, OUT OF THE WATER. Not for long but just to make sure the engines run.

I couldn't take it any more. I finally hollered across the canal, "you know your destroying your water pumps doing that, right!"? "But its just for a couple of minutes", his reply. He did stop doing that after that....

Re the Racors, their not making water, their catching it.

If one's collecting more water than the other, I suspect there may be an issue with maybe the fill cap picking up rain water, or??? My neighbor had an Angler, little bit bigger than mine, did the same thing. Collected water bad in the tank (new boat, 22'). I offered to look at it, he said no, he was sueing Yamaha and Angler and eventually got a new boat with a V tec (which he doesn't use)

I do fire mine up on the muffs on at least bi-weekly if I don't go out, just to keep the WP from taking a set too..
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
          That's right Townsends. The RACORS aren't making the water, but the tank in that old WellCraft Scrabe sure did.

Running the engines at the dock won't burn off much gas. Just check your fuel meters while the boat is running at the dock some time if you don't believe me.

I can run one of my F225s for two hours at idle speed when we deep sea drop fishing off Andros and it burns about a gallon of gas every two hours. Amazing but true.

While checking an engine's fuel problem at the dock, I watched the fuel meter for that engine very carefully one day. It burned about .1 of a gallon (1/10th) every 15 minutes, just about enough to burn up the gas in the lines and Racor. Soo.... to get new gas in my Racors (after sitting in the hot Bahamian sun for a month), I like to run the boat at 5,000 RPMs for few miles. I get 1.2 miles to a gallon of gas on 3 F225s. After 5 or 10 miles of running there's all new gas in the Racors and the fuel lines and I'm more comfortable with that..

Fuel problems are the most serious problem I've had with these 3 F225s (2005s)(and only on the port engine), now almost 9 years old (and 600 hours) later.

The middle engine lower unit went bone dry at 300 hours and I had to buy a NEW one from Yamaha for about $2,500. Don't ever buy a rebuilt gear box/LU for $1,800 or so, as I did as they don't last like a new one from Yamaha. I got 85 hours out of a rebuilt and than 15 hours from the rebuilder after he replaced the one he sold me FREE. My two outside engines have about 600 hours on their LU/gear boxes.

Cheers! Happy Memorial Day.. All....
          PM sent and PLUS 1^^, Thank you to all who have served /are serving in the military!!
          Scott
          1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
          X