yamaha 115

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• yamaha 115

I have a 2001 Yamaha 115 2 stroke model TLRZ - I had a miss show up at around 4000 rpm while headed to ramp, next day headed to Guntersville and fished sun til thur, lake is very shallow and had to idle a lot, while fishin I noticed the miss and ended up fouling a plug, changed plugs and took the fuel/water separator loose as I did not have a spare filter, miss got worse after returning home and even had some cough/sneeze issues, changed fuel pump and plugs today, while doing this I checked the factory filter located near the fuel pump, it had dirt and trash in it so I decided to take the whole filter off the motor and hook fuel line straight to fuel pump, after everything was put pack together took it to the lake for test run, primer would not get hard, took fuel line loose from motor and pumped it and gas came out I guess it had air in it hooked it up and on for the test, I did let it idle longer than usual due to the air, the motor ran excellent and I am still amazed how much better it ran than any other time before, should I replace the factory filter or just leave it on the fuel/water separator?

well should I replace the factory fuel filter assembly or forget it

Comment

I would clean and replace

Comment

cleaning is not an option, the clear bowl is swelled and will not thread back together, this assembly is $46 not sure it is worth it and no dealers carry the replacement filter, I have a 10 micron filter on the boat should this be enough

Comment

I would replace the motor mounted filter....it's a back-up filter for your 10 micron unit....I have both filters on my boat/motor and clean/check that motor mounted unit regularly....sometimes there are just a few particles in the bottom of it....maybe tiny pieces of fuel lines or other?....but it never made it to my carbs, and that's the main thing. Also whenever you replace your 10 micron canister maybe some small particles or trash get shaken loose and end up in motor mounted filter....

Comment

I have read that letting it sit out and dry well and it will shrink back to fit, some have said putting in freezer helps too.

It is a screen from what have heard , so cleaning is all that is needed. That is why they do not normally stock replacements

Comment

I am sure the element filter is trashed and truth be know I doubt it has never been changed since new, I got the boat less than a yr ago

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post
                I would replace the motor mounted filter....it's a back-up filter for your 10 micron unit....I have both filters on my boat/motor and clean/check that motor mounted unit regularly....sometimes there are just a few particles in the bottom of it....maybe tiny pieces of fuel lines or other?....but it never made it to my carbs, and that's the main thing. Also whenever you replace your 10 micron canister maybe some small particles or trash get shaken loose and end up in motor mounted filter....
                I took your advice and just finished ordering the filter assembly, 50 bucks is well worth a smooth running motor, thanks for the advice!

Comment

mmmmm
                  lemme tink a bit.

mmmmmm
                  trash in the bowl.

mmmmm
                  lemme just bypass that and we can feed trash to the carbs.

sounds like a good idea jethro, hand me anodder beer.

let me tell ya bout a man named Jed.

and his boy that's a supposed auto tech.

the water separator kept clogging with a gritty snotty stuff.
                  so he bypassed the filter.
                  2400 dollars later I had the boat running again.

cleaned the injectors,replaced the hp pump and cleaned all the fuel lines and injector rails.
                  replaced the failed fuel tank.
                  tank was about 1000 dollars of the bill.
                  the rest was self inflicted.

the fact that your cup had debris in it should clue you that the water separator wasn't doing, or could not do, its job.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                    mmmmm
                    lemme tink a bit.

mmmmmm
                    trash in the bowl.

mmmmm
                    lemme just bypass that and we can feed trash to the carbs.

sounds like a good idea jethro, hand me anodder beer.

let me tell ya bout a man named Jed.

and his boy that's a supposed auto tech.

the water separator kept clogging with a gritty snotty stuff.
                    so he bypassed the filter.
                    2400 dollars later I had the boat running again.

cleaned the injectors,replaced the hp pump and cleaned all the fuel lines and injector rails.
                    replaced the failed fuel tank.
                    tank was about 1000 dollars of the bill.
                    the rest was self inflicted.

the fact that your cup had debris in it should clue you that the water separator wasn't doing, or could not do, its job.
                    thanks for all your help sounds like you had a few too many bentrod

Comment

nope
                      but bypassing a filter is never a good idea, tempting but its not.
                      especially when you visually see debris in the cup.
                      but it does happen.

the man named Jed story is true, the name was changed but the story happened.
                      it was a grady with a pair of F225's.

the issues was with a failing tank with watery snotty stuff in it.
                      the water seperator kept clogging so the mans son, an automotive tech, bypassed it and test ran it again.

so instead of clogging the water separator it wiped out the HP pump,600 bucks, gunked the injectors,50 bucks x6, and generally made a mess of the fuel lines and rails.

we pulled the tank and had part of the top cut out for cleaning and found the tank failing so we had another made.
                      about 1000 bucks tank and labor.

I deal with tech induced and self inflicted issues everyday.

just yesterday I had to figure out how to reassemble the quick connect components on an 8.1L crusade HP fuel line.

the tech did not buy the 5 dollar line removal tool and attacked it with a screwdriver.
                      brought me the line,two orings,two retainers one guide and the lock.
                      none of this is avalible seperatly.
                      45 dollars in my pocket later he was ready.

so ya see why I poke a bit of fun occasionally .

Comment

I only ran it once and I am replacing that assembly, thanks for the sound advice!

Comment

would you believe how many times I have heard" I only overheated it once.
                          I only started it without water once.
                          I only ran it on that nasty gas tank once.
                          I only ran it out of oil once.

sometimes ya get lucky.
                          sometimes all it takes is once.

I don't gamble, I lose.
                          that's why I try not to play the odds.

I could bet on a horse in a one horse race and that horse would drop dead and lose.

Comment

Agreed 100 % with Rodbolt. (ain't that a change!)

Should of dumped that crap out and re-install the filter, its absolutly better than nothing. What ever crap is in there is now headed straight for the carbs, and possibly a lean carb.

I would at this point, besides what your already now doing, drain the carbs at least, there's crap in there too.

Plus 1 BIG time on an aftermarket 10 micron fuel filter/water separator somewhere on the transom. The see thru bottom style allows you to drain any watwer right there with just a twist of a knob.. I carry a spare filter (the full size) in a sealed baggy in the center console too.

On my 06 F150, that YAMAHA fuel cup also swelled due to ethonol.

*It'd be real nice if folks could FOCUS on the issues at hand and stop (or cut down) on the personal SA attacks. They don't help anyone. *This is no one's personal forum and I think most of us are here to help other newbies and some to learn(myself included)

Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 05-25-2014, 03:58 PM.
                            Scott
                            1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by CaptSolo
                              Nice boat..

I carried backup Racors in a sealed baggie on the boat and they rust up bad and fast - inside and out.
                              Better to leave them at home.

Fully agree with the see-through plastic bottom to drain off water in gas. I check for water every trip (70 miles).

Since my last water in Racor filter problems in May 2013, I've gone 1,300 gallons and over 1,600 miles on 3 F225s without one drop of water in any of them 3 Racors - and have had no engine problems associated with fuel or anything else for over 1 year.

If you ever buy bad fuel at the marina fuel dock, you'll see what a problem it can be first hand. They closed a gas station down here where I fill up over customer complaints by many customers. I didn't believe it until it happened to me. OUT OF BUSINESS THEY WENT!

I had an engine go down and it cost me $3,500 for a Yamaha dealer mechanic to get it up and running right - similar to the Rodbolt story about poor Jeb.
                              Thank you..

I've had a little bit of moisture build up in my 1997 Angler fuel tank (built in 50 gallon tank-never been out, NEVER been drained). That was with ethonol and of course, old age.

Changed over to Non-Ethonol and been using K100 for two and half years. Between both, ALL the moisture is gone, not cloudy, no droplets, nothing... Check for crap by draining the drain plug in the VST and watch for improement.. Did replace the Yamaha (under cowl) filter once. Original, small filter in the VST actually too.

The more filtering IMO, you can do, the better...

Before Yamaha re-power and lift canopy:
                              Scott
                              1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Working...
                              X