No announcement yet.

Quick connect to check for water in fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well it seems like a couple of these attachments have me rethinking what i always thought about types of fuel, full tanks vs not full tanks, and additives. After reading these responses and some other threads i think this is going to be my **** plan for now.

1. any water that i am getting in tank must be coming from an outside source (leaking fill cap, vent, bad fuel top start of with,...) and not from condensation in tank.
    2. continue to use non-ethanol gas to reduce chance of water absorption in fuel (not much of a chance to start with but less of a chance than with ethanol)
    3. add filter/water separator with site glass to be able to drain if needed.
    4. keep 2 bulbs on it right now just to be able to fill filter and check occasionally when not used in a couple months
    5.looks like ring free or seafoam is additive most used to clean carbon. can be used with every tank if wanted.
    6. use a stabilizing treatment product once in a while especially if not going to using for a couple months. sounds like marine stabile and K-100 are mentioned most often.

Am i reading things correctly that the stabilizers are not need as much in non-ethanol as much as ethanol but they still provide some protection to fuel, hoses, and carbs?

Do you feel that adding both products to tank after it is filled that it will get mixed and distributed well or should i estimate how much fuel i am going to need and add it to tank before adding fuel?

thanks for everyone's responses,
    GLS

Comment

Thanks TownsendsFJR1300. Sounds like my project for next weekend while off. While looking at filters/separators the Yamaha and seems to have 2 of them, a big one and a mini. I think the mini says 90HP and below. It seems like the other filters that are suppose to replace it made by Marpac, Sierra, Racor, ... are all sort of in between 2 OEM in size. As long as it is a 10 micron and 90 GPH are they just fine? Do you know what the filter number on your setup is? Looks like Racor is the filter of choice. Any thoughts on other filters brands other than OEM?

Gas Shok is an product that would compete with K-100 and Stabil correct as a treatment correct? It does not do the same as Ring Free or Sea Foam correct?

thanks,
      GLS

Comment

Depending on how many and how big the engines are alot of air containing moisture can be sucked in thru the vent which is almost always on the side of the boat where it might even get spray.. This summer the east coast saw record rain and humidity compounding the situation. Point is....there will be water in your gas tank to some degree.
        K100 has worked well for me in the past but lately been running Lucas Ethanol treatment. Less expensive and seem to be helping.....

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Pulling enough fuel to run a 130 HP motor is one thing. Pulling enough fuel to support a 300 HP motor is something altogether different.
          Probably not much if the OP's 130 is a two stroke and the 300 is a modern four stroke.
          I agree with your primer before filter argument.
          Stuck in Rome at the moment, bored shirtless, and have been checked in to Los Angeles, but want to go home to Australia. Love to stay but won't be allowed in. Some time in future.
          Dont fly Alitalia anybody!!!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

Probably not much if the OP's 130 is a two stroke and the 300 is a modern four stroke.
            I agree with your primer before filter argument.
            Stuck in Rome at the moment, bored shirtless, and have been checked in to Los Angeles, but want to go home to Australia. Love to stay but won't be allowed in. Some time in future.
            Dont fly Alitalia anybody!!!!!!!
            Love to stay where? LA?

Come visit the easy coast where all the normal people live. We even allow Rodbolt to live over here.

Flight attendants decent looking on this Alitalia airline? Delta is pitiful. They even have male flight attendants. Who’s idea was THAT?
            Last edited by pstephens46; 10-06-2018, 06:16 PM.

Comment

sounds like he is in Rome and they will not let him into Australia

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                sounds like he is in Rome and they will not let him into Australia
                Stuck in Rome after flight from Venice, after cruise, failed to meet connecting flight Etihad at Abu Dahbi to Australia.
                Problem was we could only get back via LA, and we required a transit visa. If we were only staying in USA our passports good enough........go figure that one out.
                Though absolutely love to go to all of USA, they will only let us fly over and transit at LA. Apparently We needed to arrange this from Australia???
                Probably nice to see from your point of view Trump has made it harder to get in. Including for those non terrorist Allies.

Comment

By the way plenty Yamahas in the canals of Venice and the Greek Isles. Don't look maintained by still run!

Comment

Working...
                  X