Quick connect to check for water in fuel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quick connect to check for water in fuel

I have a 1993 130HP that I don't get to run nearly as much as i would like. I continue to have problems with fuel/carb issues. I have recently gone ahead and added an inline fuel filter/ water separator . I added a bulb on each side of filter so that I can it easier to make sure it is full. Couple of questions when you have time.

1. I do use ethanol free fuel. It is better to keep the fuel tank filled completely full between uses correct?
    2. Stabilizer along with some type of cleaner since using ethanol free correct?
    3. I am interested in having a quick connect on the inlet side of the filter so that along with the bulb in front of the separator I can take out some fuel to check for water before pushing through filter. Do you see any problems with that setup? Any recommended quick connects as long as they are not set up to have to be connected to be open?
    4. I have seen many post on here about recommended stabilizers, cleaners, and shockers. Will someone give me a explanation of differences other than the names? Are they truly that different of products?

thanks,
    GLS

You can purchase a filter cartridge that has a clear plastic bowl with a a drain pet**** on bottom for inspecting/draining water....I use the Yamaha Ringfree and Stabil fuel stabilizer in my fuel all the time....and I run the 10% ethanol fuel all the time without issues. I also drain each carb float chamber( brass 10MM screw) at bottom/side of carb a couple of time a year to be sure no water/debris in the float chamber....never a problem and mine is a 1999 C90 2 stroke....

Comment

I would do as Robert suggests. Just get a Racor fuel filter with the clear plastic bowl at the bottom. No need to drain fuel although you can if you want to. The clear bowl allows you to see any water that might have made its way to the filter. If you see any water then you can simply open the drain valve to facilitate removal of the water. Easy peasy.

Comment

Having two primer bulbs's is a lot of fuel restriction.

Comment

Where is all the water coming from? Find the source.

Comment

This will toss some rocket propellant on the "tank full or empty?" discussion.

http://www.yachtsurvey.com/myth_of_c...fuel_tanks.htm

I add this to my fuel,

https://www.amazon.com/Star-Tron-Enz...reatment&psc=1

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
              Having two primer bulbs's is a lot of fuel restriction.
              I agree, bulb should be after the filter. One bulb.
              2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
              Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

Where do you buy K100? I've heard good things about it. May swap from Startron if I can buy it in bulk, and/or its realistically priced.

The fuel problems that I am having seem to be from the fuel itself, not from it growing old and funky.

Comment

Originally posted by Operaman View Post

I agree, bulb should be after the filter. One bulb.
                  Why?

Having the bulb before the filter makes it so much easier to refill the filter element upon replacement of same. It can be a PIA refilling the filter if the ball is after the filter. The primer ball pushes fuel a heckava lot better than it pulls fuel.

Comment

Pulling enough fuel to run a 130 HP motor is one thing. Pulling enough fuel to support a 300 HP motor is something altogether different.

Comment

I always fill the filter first before installing.

Comment

I always fill the filter first before installing.
                        I do too. I think some people like to squeeze their balls.

Comment

Boscoe? Most boat manufacture's put the bulb before the filter, but some like there balls in the splash well.

Comment

Boscoe? Most boat manufacture's put the bulb before the filter, but some like there balls in the splash well.
                            Having ones balls splash in the well is not all bad.

Either, either, tomato, tomato, ball before or ball after, all the same same.

Just personal preference but I like my ball below deck and out of the elements. Only time I ever used it was after changing the filter. Easier for me to fill the filter using the ball than to go and get some gasoline to pour into the filter before installing the filter. Less mess.

To each his own. Find what works for you and go for it.

From a restriction standpoint it does not, and can not, matter.

Comment

Here's a site I just found. Looks interesting.

http://www.fuel-testers.com/review_g..._products.html

I read once that the major component of many of the fuel additives is naphtha. Which, of course, can be purchased by the gallon at Home Depot. Might be worth considering.

Comment

Working...
                              X