No announcement yet.

Fuel additive question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

So your saying if using ring free plus a stabilizer is still recommend?

Comment

Originally posted by Mailman62 View Post
      So your saying if using ring free plus a stabilizer is still recommend?
      If using Ethanol fuel and IF the fuel is going to sit for any lenth of time (more than a month / built in tank, etc) I would definitely use a stabilizer.

Carbed engines are much more susceptible to varnish (fuel sits in the bowl and evaporates) vs FI :

A BAD case of varnish in a float bowl:

Just for S&G's, pour a little bit of fresh fuel (ethanol) in say a clean tuna fish can. With humidity of over say 50%, you literally watch the nice clear fuel NOW turn cloudy as it sucks up moisture from the air. That moisture eventually separates and you can see the water separate and go to the bottom as droplets..

This is what I run in my boat, original tank, from 1997: http://k-100.com/why-k100/eliminates-water/
      Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-23-2018, 12:04 PM.
      Scott
      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

Yep, its the only RF there is. Been using it for literally decades..

The Yamaha stabilizer bottle looks just about the same..
        This is my formula since I discovered Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer. Been using Ring Free for years with first the blue stuff, then Quickclean by Mercury and
        now My stabilizer is exclusively Yamaha. I go pretty heavy on both.
        2000 Wellcraft 270 Coastal Tournament Edition
        Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

Mercury quick clean is not a stabilizer, just a good cleaner.
          Quick store is Mercury's stabilizer.
          Last edited by walleye1; 09-24-2018, 01:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
            Mercury quick clean is not a stabilizer, just a good cleaner.
            Quick store is Mercury's stabilizer.
            AH, well it was the one that is the stablizer. One of the quicks, I know there are 2 or 3 available
            Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

If you can run down your fuel tank to empty within 30-40 days, you don't need a stabilizer. If you can't run it down to empty within that time, then use Yamaha Fuel Stabilizer whenever you put gas in the tank.

If you run ethanol gas in it, you should rarely need a cleaner like Ring Free or Seafoam.. about once a season, if that. If you run non-ethanol gas, maybe use a cleaner once every other month.
              2011 F50TLR, 2010 G3 V167C

Comment

I burn Startron Enzyme. I buy it by the gallon on Amazon. MUCH cheaper that way.

Reason - Buddy has a twin-engine (GM 350's) Luhrs that sits and sits and sits. Yet, on those uber-rare occasions when he fires it up, the engines run fine. And, his fuel sumps clean and uniform.

Is it snake oil? Perhaps.
                Last edited by oldmako69; 09-24-2018, 10:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by oldmako69 View Post
                  I burn Startron Enzyme.

Reason - Buddy has a twin-engine (GM 350's) Luhrs that sits and sits and sits. Yet, on those uber-rare occasions when he fires it up, the engines run fine. And, his fuel sumps clean and uniform.

Is it snake oil? Perhaps.
                  Oh, it does a lot of good. Without it, he would have huge issues fuel related if using ethanol. I switched to Mercury then the Yamaha because I like to use manufacturer supplied products and was
                  assured results the same or better then the Startron. So far, no issues.
                  Twin 2000 200 OX-66

Comment

Working...
                  X