Fuel additive question..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fuel additive question..

I am currently using seafoam in gas on 150 four strk , I hear good things about ring free , does ring free do something different that seafoam doesn’t? If I decided to use ring free would seafoam still be required as a stabilizer for ethanol

Ring free plus i what you need to use.

Comment

So ring free stabalizes the fuel also.? No need for seafoam too ?

Comment

I believe the plus is what does the stabilizing.

and I never heard the Seafoam was a stabilized for e fuel

Comment

Chevron Oronite Additives, makers of Ringfree and Techron is introducing a new Techron Marine Fuel Additive this fall, sold through West Marine and some other retailers....I'm confident it's similar to Ringfree and Techron and the dosage is the same at one ounce per ten gallons of gas....and it does have the stabilizer built into it....The key ingredient is called Polyether Amine....I'll personally just continue to use Ringfree in my C90 2 stroke with an extra dosage of Stabil in the gas for extended lay-ups of several weeks or more....

Comment

Ring free and marine stabil is all you need, sea foam is a cleaner and adds more alcahol to e 10 fuel.

Comment

Robert, what Staybil do you use(red or green or maybe it is blue) and what kind of gas?

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
                Ring free and marine stabil is all you need, sea foam is a cleaner and adds more alcahol to e 10 fuel.
                kind of what I was thinking about seafoam

Comment

Ring Free is NOT a stabilizer, period: https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...-motor-company

It IS designed to clean the fuel system, top end, etc...

I currently have 3 quarts currently and in the instructions(on the bottle), states "can be used with Yamaha's fuel stabilizer".

IME, Stabil is junk. Just flushed a generator fuel tank out and got huge globs of black "goo" out of it. The ethanol also literally ate all the original rubber fuel lines.

Again, IME, use either "Gas Shok" or K100. I originally used Gas Shok many years ago (and still do on my other machines) as the carbs kept varnishing up on my old Evinrude V6 150.
                  After putting that in (recommended by the marina), no more yanking carbs( had to clean them twice in TWO weeks)

The K100 I use exclusively in the boat (with non ethanol). As this engine sips fuel, and I have a 50 gallon tank, I can literally run all summer on one tank. I can vouch pulling fuel out, that was easily 1.5 years old, smelled like new, ran fine in my friends boat/ car, etc. (Issue was a bad spark plug, NOT FUEL related)..

BTW, Seafoam is good but not nearly as effective as RF. My injectors are original(never cleaned) as is the VST. Runs like a top...

I'll put RF in my customers engines (mowers, chain saws, weed eaters, generators) and will come back the next day and re-tune (with a portable Echo tach). I'll often tune in another 300 to 3,000 RPMs with doing NOTHING ELSE, just let the RF do it's work..
                  Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 09-22-2018, 06:55 PM.
                  Scott
                  1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

are you talking about ringfree plus?

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                      are you talking about ringfree plus?
                      Yep, its the only RF there is. Been using it for literally decades..

The Yamaha stabilizer bottle looks just about the same..
                      Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post
                        Ring Free is NOT a stabilizer, period: https://www.shopyamaha.com/product/d...-motor-company

It IS designed to clean the fuel system, top end, etc...

I currently have 3 quarts currently and in the instructions(on the bottle), states "can be used with Yamaha's fuel stabilizer".
                        Well that says it all, you will still need a stabilizer

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          Robert, what Staybil do you use(red or green or maybe it is blue) and what kind of gas?
                          I use the Ringfree plus, with the stabilizer built in, and the red Stabil and the gas with 10% ethanol....87 octane....never had a problem now after 19 years and carbs never been off...

Comment

Originally posted by robert graham View Post

I use the Ringfree plus, with the stabilizer built in, and the red Stabil and the gas with 10% ethanol....87 octane....never had a problem now after 19 years and carbs never been off...
                            Robert, read the back of the RF container.

It states it can be used with Yamaha's stabilizer. What it says is it does clean the fuel system and top end, (see below)..

*The newer Stabil I suspect is different than the older stuff (hopefully), but my experience with it and with K100, I know what works for me (as you do for you)..

(No pic's of the back of the bottle)
                            Scott

Comment

I just read the back of Ringfree container and you're right!....guess the bozo at Yamaha dealer told me wrong. Anyway I still use the Stabil all the time.....

Comment

Working...
                              X