1993 115TLRR no start............

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1993 115TLRR no start............

Learning about outboards and how to work on these demonic things so please bear with me.

Issue started off as a cold start issue, once it started the first time, it would start back up no problem the rest of the day.

It devolved to no longer being able to get it to start at all. I have verified fuel flow past the mechanical fuel pump on the starboard side of the engine (installed a new primer bulb, new filter element and new pump).

Verified that I have spark (yellow in color in the day but batteries may have been a bit weak from a lot of start attempts). I put new wires on the coil packs when I first got the boat, but there was no immediate change in the motor's temperament.

Old primer bulb stayed rock hard after priming, new bulb is losing pressure with a quickness. I'm going to change the fuel hose from my separator to primer and from primer to fuel filter to eliminate any chance that they're shot. I'm replacing battery terminals to make sure that I'm getting all the juice I need tomorrow.

I'm just wondering if y'all can think of anything that would cause a no start issue when I appear to have fuel, spark and compression.

Originally posted by beachedredneck View Post
    I appear to have fuel, spark and compression.

Measure things and post the readings,
    do not just assume anything

A spark tester that is adjustable will show if it can jump the proper gap
    but a DVA adapter and a meter will give you the voltage readings to the CDI and out of it if the spark is not up to parr
    compression is simple
    timing is also

If all that is OK then you are left with a fuel to air ratio problem that will need addressing

That motor has a choke so make sure it closes properly and you are using it and the fast idle lever properly
    Last edited by 99yam40; 04-22-2014, 08:44 PM.

Comment

Didn't have a spark tester, but visually verified spark. compression is on the low side (90-95) but even across all cylinders. Choke closes fully manually or with the switch. Fuel/air makes a fair amount of sense, timing would have to be FUBAR for it not to start at all (at least from my limited knowledge of engines). I'm pulling the Carbs this afternoon and starting the teardown.

I'll see what the good word is following this little exercise.

Comment

Instead of pulling carbs, I decided to try spraying fuel/oil mix into the carb and low and behold she jumped right off. Definitely need to clean the carbs. Figure I just changed the original (20 yo) fuel line from the primer to the filter so I've probably got some pretty gummed up jets.

Appreciate the ideas.

Comment

Update: Carbs are off the motor and about to get torn down/rebuilt. Had the boat out running last week and got it down to about 1/2 a tank.

Today when I pulled the carbs, I hit my primer bulb to verify fuel flow all the way to the carbs and noticed that the fuel is as orange as an Oompa Loompa. I couldn't begin to say when the last time this boat had the fuel tank empty. The guy I bought it from filled it back up with non-ethanol before parking every time he took it out and I've been filling it up with ethanol before each trip (never had to put in more than 18 gallons).

I plan on draining and flushing my fuel tank but I'm not sure how necessary it is. Also not sure what to do with the 30 gallons of gas in the tank. Think it'll hurt the Jeep to run it?

Comment

ethanol is a very good solvent and will clean all sorts of stuff out of the tank and line walls ending up in the carbs and cylinders as the fuel burns off leaving bad stuff behind.

Some burn it in their vehicles or lawn mowers, etc
            It is up to you as what you do with it

Comment

Update

Re-checked compression in the 115-120 psi range on all 4 cylinders.
              Rebuilt carbs - replaced needles, floats, gaskets. Fully closed fuel/air screws and have been playing with those for adjustment, fully seated main nozzles and verified they were clear of blockage.
              Haven't checked voltages to/from CDI for my spark yet (if anyone has the values I should be looking for, it would be appreciated).

Still won't start. I have noticed that my starter is beginning to drag on the initial crank (poor guy's gotta be exhausted from all the work he's been getting), but don't think that would be my issue.

I've got fuel flow to the carbs, but even after cranking for 20-30 seconds with fast idle lever in full up (also verified throttle plates were opening) and fully choked, not getting fuel into the carbs. I know it's not a precise measurement but I smelled for gas and they didn't smell like gas.

Comment

Working...
              X