No announcement yet.

Stuck prop shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep that is what was confusing me, I could not find the o ring retainer plate in parts

Comment

Look up 1986 30, #49 are shims 50 is the washer and 51 is the o ring.

Comment

the one I posted up a few posts ago was for a 2002 I think. it shows the same.
        but none show an o ring retainer plate, that was what I was looking for

Comment

It is the same as you posted #50
          Last edited by walleye1; 09-02-2018, 11:26 AM.

Comment

so what is the proper name of that #50 part?

Comment

The service manual shows it as a shim associated with the reverse gear bStill stuck. I have it soaking in penetrating oil and will attack it with more violence and fire tomorrow.. If that fails I'll cut a hole in it. Maybe that will put some manners on it??!! Anyone with an experience of welding a similar housing?

Comment

lots of machined surfaces in the lower unit

#49 shows up as the shims

Comment

50 is the washer

Comment

another Yamaha service manual with something out of place I guess

Comment

shims go against the case,50 goes between the oring and seats on the shim to allow adjustment of REV gear backlash.

Comment

Just a final post to let you all know how things went. I soaked the unit in hot penetrating oil for 2 days and then made a metal sleeve and plates to go over the prop and using the castellated nut exerted pressure against the housing. After a long struggle the prop shaft eventually came loose !! ( Make sure to use all the threads on the bronze nut as otherwise you will strip the threads). Although solid with rust all the gears, shafts and dog clutch appear to be serviceable with no signs of damage. All the bearings and seals need to be replaced. A Winter project to rebuild the gearbox!! Many thanks to all who contributed.

Comment

Working...
                        X