No announcement yet.

Stuck prop shaft

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey. Thank you for all the helpful comments and suggestions. I tried brute force with a slide hammer without success. I made a device to go over the prop shaft and using the nut on the prop shaft to exert considerable downward pressure tried to pull the prop shaft out, again without success. I am now thinking that something has come loose in the gearbox and is jammed in the prop shaft preventing it from being extracted. The shaft and attached bearing are quite wobbly in the housing but cannot be pulled out. The drive shaft is also seized which seems to confirm something jammed in place. My next plan is to carefully cut a hole in the housing to expose the area of the dog clutch and gears and see if anything can be freed up. I can weld the patch back without difficulty in that area. any comments on this plan of action?

Comment

look for a used or new lower unit

you can cut it up if you like to see what all happened in there, but the housing is trash in my opinion.
      shafts ride in bearings, gears are meshed.
      shafts either welded to bearings or gears welded to each other
      , bearings are loose in housing.
      machined fits are no longer good

Comment

Based on the little bit I read about this motor, it appears to be fairly popular down there in Australia or wherever op is located. Betting a lower can be found. Cost? Who knows?

Comment

nothing is welded nothing but the oring retainer plate is stuck. same desighn for all Yamaha units that use a claw nut to retain the carrier.
          nothing magical or mystical here.\

Comment

Rodbolt. he has already remover the carrier
            Last edited by 99yam40; 09-01-2018, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I am trying to understand what this o ring retainer plate is.
              here is a 30 2 stroke part breakdown, but have no idea if it is close to what he has

Comment

This is exactly what I have. I have the service manual as well.. I have Nos 51-55 removed. except 48 ( the bearing) is still in the housing but the shaft rotates slightly so the bearing is not stuck to the shaft, but because of poor access I cannot get a puller on that bearing. The prop shaft rotates a small amount but cannot be pulled from the housing. I am inclined to believe that something in the gearbox is jamming and resisting the pull. It's now a contest of wills between me and an inanimate object and I must get to the bottom of the matter irrespective of expense or effort. Thanks for all the input and all further suggestions are welcomed.

Comment

I would account for every component. Where is 42 and 56?

Comment

42 was removed with the bearing carrier. 56 is still retained in the housing and may be the component preventing removal?
                    if I cut a hole to ascertain the problem has anyone any experience of welding these units? Is it made of aluminum or an alloy? Is TIG welding the way to go?

Comment

42 is a pin through the clutch, 56 is a key way should have came out with the carrier.

Comment

yep I think he confused the 42 and 56.
                        42 should still be in the shaft

I am still confused as to what Rod was calling the o ring retainer plate

Comment

not that I have ever disassembled that desighn case.
                          50 is what is jamming the works.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            not that I have ever disassembled that desighn case.
                            50 is what is jamming the works.
                            OK now I see what Rod means
                            that thrust washer #50 and shim #49 are in between the bearing and gear when they are pressed together and then that is pressed into the carrier.
                            he got the carrier out but the thrust washer is stuck in the housing and it is keeping the gear from coming out.
                            the shaft is pinned to the clutch dog with #42, so it will not allow the shaft to slide out either

Comment

it is not a thrust washer.
                              it simply pinchs the oring to force it against the housing and carrier. it accepts no thrust from anything.

Comment

Parts look up call's it a thrust washer, also there are shim behind the washer.

Comment

Working...
                                X