No announcement yet.

SX225TXRZ - Ignition troubles

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The manual provides a range instead of a minimum.
    Assuming the red wires are the positive, the readings (while cranking) are above the spec

R(+) to Br(-) = 117v
    B/R(+) to L(-) = 124v

When above spec the manual calls for checking the pulser coil output.

Pulser Coil Peak output (each wire to ground while cranking):

First test: W/R - 10v | W/B - 9v | W/Y - 15v | W/G - 9v | W/L - 9v | W/Br - 6v
    Second test: W/R - 5v | W/B - 7v | W/Y - 5v | W/G - 4v | W/L - 4v | W/Br - 4v

All reading are slightly above spec which points, following the manual, to the CDI unit.

Here is the CDI output again for reference (measured while cranking):

Cyl 1 - 82v | Cyl 2 - 84v | Cyl 3 - 90v | Cyl 4 - 103v | Cyl 5 - 85v | Cyl 6 - 85v

Am I looking at this correctly?

Comment

look, your testing an AC output.
      does not turn into DC until it is stored in a capacitor.
      meter polarity should not matter.
      but anything much below a CDI output of 60Vpeak wont make a spark.

Comment

so when the OP gets a good reading (124 V) on one charge coil, but reverses the meter leads and gets a 14.7 V reading , what could cause this?

Seeing how the CDI outputs read lower than the charge coils, is that a problem?

OK I had to go back to see what this whole thread was about to start out with,
        and it seems there should enough CDI outpu voltage to spark all cylinders while cranking.
        so what are you looking for
        Last edited by 99yam40; 09-03-2018, 12:28 PM.

Comment

This whole ordeal started after reassembling the motor which was not sounding right, I notice no spark in multiple cylinders. Most recently, with the spark gap tester set at 9 mm, I have no spark at all on any cylinder while cranking.

Comment

if the motor will start and run, there must be something wrong with your spark testing,
            or will it not start anymore?

have you thought about testing voltages unloaded to see if that makes a difference?

Rod said they should spark until 60 V but those 85s sre getting close
            Last edited by 99yam40; 09-03-2018, 02:05 PM.

Comment

Following. Mine are and have been above range.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                look, your testing an AC output.
                does not turn into DC until it is stored in a capacitor.
                meter polarity should not matter.
                but anything much below a CDI output of 60Vpeak wont make a spark.
                Hey Rodbolt,

I'm still chasing this ghost... I measured peak voltage of the stator with the meter in DC, should it be in AC? And the DCI output in DC?

Comment

Working...
                X