Need new engine, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
    IF a water line is NOT secured with a tie strap the potential for line blow off is there.
    why ALL water lines were not secured on ALL motors is a mystery to me.
    but it happens.
    from the F350 to the F25.
    that I have personally seen so far.
    call the Yamaha number and ask them what to do.
    The US YAMAHA gave me the Canadian Yamaha which were no help at all. To summarized it's not their fault if there was no kind of zip tie on those hoses

Comment

Typical. Yamaha US passing the buck to Yamaha Canada who is generally of no help to anyone.

I would go back to Yamaha Canada one more time and try and convince them there were no blockages in the line and that Yamaha Japans failure to secure the hose to a hose barb with any kind of a clamp at all is a defect. And it is that defect which caused the damage to your motor.

Give Yamaha Canada a call at 416-498-1911 and maybe, just maybe, you can get to someone that cares. Sometimes it helps to talk to someone in person. I presume that you have only contacted them via email.

One more thing, if you get stiffed again by Yamaha Canada ask them what their appeals process is. That is, you want to send a letter to Yamaha Canada management to petition them for a review of your denied warranty claim.

Do you have a legal friend? It would not hurt to have a letter sent to Yamaha Canada from a lawyer.

You can bet your ass that if a fuel hose had leaked and caused a fire then Yamaha would have been all of the problem trying to get it fixed and out of the publics eye.

Comment

I had a somewhat similar issue with my old Honda ****wing motorcycle.

It had a known defect in the alternator bearing (which did let loose) and requires the engine to be pulled (a very big job). The dealer did the work, left all kinds of parts loose, missing and I now had a substantial oil leak....

The dealer fixed what I found and didn't touch the oil leak, "keep an eye on it". I complained to no avail. Called Honda, they basically said if a parts broke, its under warranty, if its the mechanics fault, I had to dealwith them (sue). I explained it was a HONDA dealership, didn't have a leak before and now it does. No change in their position.

Took the bike to another dealer 2 hours away, told them the story and to just fix it. They got a hold of Honda, Honda's position was the same. I told them I would pick up the tab if Honda didn't and just SUE EVERYBODY (the original dealer and Honda Inc).

The Honda rep for the SE USA happened to be in their shop when they found the main issue (there were others problems they found also). The original mechainic nicked the clutch cover (sloppy work) and the leak ensued. The bike was fixed, some pinched o-rings replaced, etc.

Honda picked up the entire tab without me contacting them. Just from them seeing what had happened in its entirerty.

If you can document that clamp issue, re-call, etc, I would go this route, Yamaha won't want to screw with a case their going to loose once you have all your ducks in a row...
        Scott
        1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I did talk to Scott Harrison over the phone and he pick up the first time. After that, he wouldn't pick up but simply email back. Scott Harrison is supposed to be a supervisor there and after searching his name on google, I also found out that I wasn't the only one who got screwed by Yamaha. He wouldn't warranty any other work for other individual with other Yamaha stuff.

Comment

The price of a new block, head, miscellaneous parts and labor is going to be very high. Might be better off buying a new motor.

I would consult with a legal firm and maybe for a few dollars you can get them to intercede with Yamaha Canada on your behalf. I think you will have a much greater chance of success. That or I would file a small claims suit on my own here in the USA, against Yamaha USA if necessary, to see if you can get relief. I suspect that Yamaha Canada may then sit up and take notice.

I am normally a Yamaha advocate. In this case they are doing you wrong. They left the damn clamp off of the hose. It was nothing that you did or did not do that contributed to the problem. Correct?

Comment

I have not done anything to cause this. I believe it is due to all the vibration which over time cause things like this to happen. This is the 2nd dealer I am taking this motor to. The first dealer put zip ties on all those hoses that he already knew about, then took all the spark plugs put then tried to crank the engine but nothing, it would only crank a quarter turn. Then he told me about how that would not be under warranty. Then today, I took it to another dealer which called yamaha to check on warranty; they told him that this motor wasn't cover under US Dealer. Now, I'm trying to find out how much it's going to cost me to get another engine vs driving to Canada to have a Canadian dealer take care of this. And Canada is like 14-16 hours drive for me from Georgia.

Comment

Got the engine back up and running $3000 later. My whole setup is for sale if anyone is interested.

Comment

What no report on what all they found wrong with the motor?

I would not think it would have cost you $3K to drive up to canada
                  Last edited by 99yam40; 10-13-2014, 09:22 PM.

Comment

I have the old block with me and I will take it apart myself for educational purposes. I'm pretty sure I can rebuild the old block myself if the parts can be purchased individually. I will post some pictures whenever I start on this project so people have an idea of what can happen to a Yamaha engine when it Hydrolock.

Comment

So was there any warranty help from Yamaha?

Comment

Nah Yamaha didn't help. None of the dealer offer any help. Got fed up and wanted it fix so I can sell it and go with a different brand outboard for the new boat I bought.

Comment

Working...
                        X