Need new engine, please help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need new engine, please help

I have a 2011 yamaha outboard, it is the F40JEA and I'm looking to get a price for a new engine. Pretty much, my engine has a bent rod and won't turn anymore . Below is a video of what happened:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EbRj...qHC6OOld0LnQBg

Does anyone knows what part number it is for a new engine? I know all the electronic are still intact, i just need to replace the engine itself. Please help if you can. I would really appreciate it.

Where are you located?

What is the warranty period for the motor where you live? Here in the USA it is three years if used for pleasure. If your motor is under warranty I would be talking to your Yamaha dealer about getting a new block installed.

Are you sure that the block is locked up? I note that you have a jet drive model. Sometimes a rock in the jet pump impeller will make you think the block is locked up when it is really the jet pump.
    Last edited by boscoe99; 03-25-2014, 01:05 PM. Reason: stupidity on my part

Comment

You're right, my engine was originally purchased in Canada. This engine still falls under the 3 year warranty and I have already talked to a dealer about it which they said yamaha wouldn't cover it under warranty because water got in it. Not only that, there was a service bulletin that came out which stated to keep zip ties on those small hoses, which should of been done when it come out of the manufacturer. I am located in Georgia btw. Do you know if that block comes with everything include the crankshaft already assembled in the block as well as piston? Thanks for helping me out.

Comment

wont be the first powerhead I have replaced under warrenty from the F350 on down due to a water line blowing off.
        IF you can prove that's what caused the failure and YOUR dealer doesn't want to mess with it, CALL the Yamaha consumer 800 number and explain what happened and why you think it should be covered.

some engines got out BEFORE the water line issue was caught and even though a bulliten was issued not all owners got notified nor did all motors get modified.
        still does not affect warrenty.

about the only way your going to bend or snap a rod due to water injestion is a line came off.

my advice?
        drop a dime.

Comment

This is a mess.

The motor is warranted by Yamaha Canada and you are here in the US. Yam Can is not as benevolent when it comes to warranty claims and goodwill as is Yamaha USA.

First thing I would do is to take the motor to a Yam US dealer and have them confirm the problem and what needs to be done to fix it. Tell them you heard about a bulletin and ask if it is applicable to your specific serial number. Ask them to call Yamaha US to see if they can work with Yam Can to get this taken care of for you under warranty. Perhaps they will say yes. Remind the dealer about the bulletin

If they say no to warranty ask the dealer to ask Yam US if the repair can be covered under goodwill. If they cover it under goodwill maybe they will pay the bill in full or maybe they will offer to split the costs with you. You never know.

In parallel with your dealer calling his POC at Yam US, you can also call Yam US Customer Support (866-894-1626) and explain the situation to them. Be polite. You catch more flies with honey than with vinegar. Ask about the repair being covered under warranty in coordination with Yamaha Canada. If they say no then ask about goodwill assistance.

Good luck and let us know what happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Scootzu Yamaha Jet View Post
            Do you know if that block comes with everything include the crankshaft already assembled in the block as well as piston? Thanks for helping me out.
            The block comes as an assembly. All of the parts shown below are included plus other parts. Pistons, rods, bearings, crankshaft etc. Those other parts are shown in the other figures that are referenced in the highlighted box.

You may also need a new cylinder head.

Comment

Thanks a lot I will try that this week

Comment

This is the response I got from Yamaha Canada after telling them about the issue today:

Comment

As you have learned, Yamaha Canada is of no help. They are keen to deny warranty even in the face of a defective motor.

You need to get a Yamaha US dealer to help you. From the drawing it appears that a clamp is not used to attach the hose to the block fitting. That to me is a defect. I would argue that the defect of Yamaha not securing the hose to the fitting caused it to come loose which in turn harmed the motor.

Comment

Is it hydro locked or bent rod? Did you remove sparkplugs and try to turn over?

Comment

Yea I removed the plugs and cranked it but no good. It's a bent rod

Comment

seems like if it is just a bent rod from hydro lock, the whole block would not be harmed and have to be replaced unless the bent rod hit block and damaged it.

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
                        Sometimes a rock in the jet pump impeller will make you think the block is locked up when it is really the jet pump.
                        How do you know it is a bent rod?
                        Have you taken it apart?

I would think that the water leaking in would drain out of the lower pan fast enough to keep the level below the intake, but maybe the 4 strokes do not have the openings the old 2 strokes had
                        Last edited by 99yam40; 03-25-2014, 02:02 PM.

Comment

You could drop/remove the lower unit and then try to turn over the motor, just to eliminate the possibility that the problem is in your jet drive....a piece of debris or rope can get wrapped up there....

Comment

I'm pretty sure it's a bent rod because I was at over 20 ft of water with no debris in the way. Also, I have seen water rushing out of the cowling when I removed it. I'm going to talk to the dealer before I take anything apart

Comment

IF a water line is NOT secured with a tie strap the potential for line blow off is there.
                              why ALL water lines were not secured on ALL motors is a mystery to me.
                              but it happens.
                              from the F350 to the F25.
                              that I have personally seen so far.
                              call the Yamaha number and ask them what to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X