1998 115 2 Stroke won’t feed oil HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1998 115 2 Stroke won’t feed oil HELP

Hello everyone im pretty new here and to boating as a whole.

Me and my wife were out off the kelseytown break wall in clinton CT over the weekend when my squel alarm started squeling.
    I first noticed that there was a single black box flashing near the low oil portion of the tach/gauge.
    I checkes my remote (main) oil tank and it was half full.
    I then pulled the cowl off to notice the small engine mounted reservoir was at the low mark.
    I limped it back with the alrm blairing the whole time. The engine was smoking a little so i knew it was still feeding oil.
    I was aggrevated after taking the boat out for yhe first time this your and having it go south aftet an hour .

A day or so later I went down to the docks to play around with it to find out that the pump is not sending oil to the engine mounted tank.
    I pulled the sensor from the engine reservoir and slid the float up amd the alarm went off.
    I then tried the manuel over ride toggle on the oil injection computer and it DID NOT fill the engine tank. I tried the manuel toggle with both engine running and switched ignition on only with no oil fill at motor tank.
    I then proceeded to hook up the pump direct to 12v to hear it turning.
    I then pulled the hose nipple off the oil line running to the engine tank from the remote tank/pump amd kicked the pump on amd it DID spew oil out.
    At this point the pump is working correct ???? Not quite.
    I then pulled the line on the remote tank between the pump and filter and kicked the pump on and it dribbled some oil out onto a rag i had on the deck..

I then put the hoses back together and ran the pump again with leads to 12v and the tank on the engine still wont fill !!!!

Heres my questions.

A. Does the little electric pump internally bypass somehow and is this happening somehow ? Maybe the line is clogged ?

B. If the line is clogged why wont the manuel overide switch turn the pump on ?

C. Whats the beat way to clear a clogged line ? I was thinking putting 80 psi or so of air thru it and see what conea out the other end. Could the little tank filter on the remote tank still be clogged and be caising issues ??

Many thanks in advance !!!

I also forgot to mention today I went and pulled the oil line from the remote tank and the main tank and put 80 psi of air to it from my compressor and it would not flow out the engine end. Could it be possible the oil line is completely clogged or blocked ? I think I have multiple issues happening.

Comment

Were you blasting air through your filter? Maybe the clog is here.

Comment

You have already said "I then pulled the line on the remote tank between the pump and filter and kicked the pump on and it dribbled some oil out onto a rag i had on the deck."
        this tells me you have a problem before the filter

I would be pulling, draining, and cleaning the remote tank
        and putting in a new filter and cleaning/flushing the lines

pulling the main tank float while there is oil still in tank will let any trash in there get into the gear oil pump on motor. make sure you find the foam filter seal in there and replace with a new one when putting back together

Comment

Originally posted by dubber View Post
          Were you blasting air through your filter? Maybe the clog is here.
          No, The air was introduced to the oil line after the filter and pump etc. Unless there is an orifice or something inline there must be a major obstruction in the line to the main oil tank on the engine.

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
          You have already said "I then pulled the line on the remote tank between the pump and filter and kicked the pump on and it dribbled some oil out onto a rag i had on the deck."
          this tells me you have a problem before the filter

I would be pulling, draining, and cleaning the remote tank
          and putting in a new filter and cleaning/flushing the lines

pulling the main tank float while there is oil still in tank will let any trash in there get into the gear oil pump on motor. make sure you find the foam filter seal in there and replace with a new one when putting back together

When I power on the pump (after the filter) it moves oil. this tells me there is no issue at the remote tank. Possibly the sensor but no fluid transfer issues I can see. I have uploaded an attachment, if you take a look I put air into the line after item # 12 and it did not come out where it connects to the tank or right at item # 32.

Image.gif

In addition to the OP I ohmed out most of the recepticles on item # 38. Most of them are reading at 0 ohms, the only one that seems to do anything is the port switch circiut however its out of spec.

I also checked for power at the remote tank from the harnes and it did in fact have power at the end of the harness that plugs into the remote tank to power the pump and ground the alarm sensor.

This makes me feel like the issue is at the engine side of the system and in the hose possibly.

Im still scratching my head on the no flow issue in the hose .....
          Last edited by SoundShark; 06-07-2018, 11:35 AM.

Comment

Just so I'm clear...the pump works but will not transfer oil from reserve to main tank? If so, you've either got a sensor issue or signal issue or both. Had the same issue, same year and hp engine. Required me to replace oil harness, despite the harness sending volts. The signal wire within the 4 wire harness was bad...and ya have to replace the entire harness. But first check sensors are properly functioning.

By the way, should you experience the same scenario while underway....empty a water bottle and cut it in half. Dry it out. Manually transfer oil from reserve tank to water bottle to main tank. Doesn't take much oil to get level in between the low and high marks. Then you can motor normally back to dock.
            Jason
            1998 S115TLRW + 1976 Aquasport 170

Comment

Originally posted by Jason2tpa View Post
              Just so I'm clear...the pump works but will not transfer oil from reserve to main tank? If so, you've either got a sensor issue or signal issue or both. Had the same issue, same year and hp engine. Required me to replace oil harness, despite the harness sending volts. The signal wire within the 4 wire harness was bad...and ya have to replace the entire harness. But first check sensors are properly functioning.

By the way, should you experience the same scenario while underway....empty a water bottle and cut it in half. Dry it out. Manually transfer oil from reserve tank to water bottle to main tank. Doesn't take much oil to get level in between the low and high marks. Then you can motor normally back to dock.
              That is correct.
              However no oil is getting to the tank aven when the pump is overidden with 12volts. Eveything was working fine then all of the sudden not working at all. Not sure why.
              Cant get oil to the tank on the motor.
              The control unit is also not ohming out. I am aware there is an issue on the elcetonics side. However there is no oil getting to the tank even when I manually activate the pump !
              THis is straining my brain. I think oil injection system delete is in my very near future.

Comment

You wrote that compressed air would NOT flow through the tube, correct? I would think there is something blocking it. Normally those systems work well. Your motor is pretty old and needs some attention. I wouldn’t be in a hurry to start mixing gas and oil.

Comment

This was covered on the other site, starting again without completing steps advised will not fix the issue, I am not clear on wether the over ride lever actually made the pump run, but no oil transfer, or the pump did not run at all, I am sure Rodbolt will be along soon and will give you some rather stern advice, BUT, you need to follow what you are told, don't just jump all over the place, the full model number is necessary, as all systems are very different.

Comment

Originally posted by SoundShark View Post
                    I also forgot to mention today I went and pulled the oil line from the remote tank and the main tank and put 80 psi of air to it from my compressor and it would not flow out the engine end. Could it be possible the oil line is completely clogged or blocked ? I think I have multiple issues happening.
                    follow the line all the way back to motor.
                    line must be pinched or something

Comment

this is rather stupidly funny.
                      had to read it twice due to laughter.
                      I guess everyone is aware there is a filter that can clog between the remote tank and the pump. it never clogs cause folks do the REQUIRED maint on it.
                      there are NO sensors in the circuit.
                      there are 4 SWITCH'S.
                      on or off.
                      just like the switch for the lamp in the refrigerator.
                      I have beat PBS to death on this and another forum.
                      it is a stupidly simple system with 4 switchs and a hose.

Comment

If you read B in the first post, he says "why won't the manual switch turn the pump on" from that I read that the pump is not working, but when he applies another 12v wire, it does pump oil, so, that kind of reads it's not a blockage, but then, as on the other site, no clarity was forthcoming, and no suggested tests were done.

Comment

he said he has 12 V + at the pump and the manual switch will still not run the pump with the motor running or with motor not running but key to the on position.

If that is true then either the power wire gives a voltage reading, but cannot carry a load due to a bad connection or the negative/ground is not making up.
                          But then he may just think the pump is not running because the oil is not transferring

but then he cannot get 80 psi air the flow thru the line after the filter to the tank on motor, so no oil will flow if air will not

he has to go after one thing at a time and correct them

yes following advice given will be good and report back he did it and what was found
                          Last edited by 99yam40; 06-08-2018, 09:35 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                            this is rather stupidly funny.
                            had to read it twice due to laughter.
                            I guess everyone is aware there is a filter that can clog between the remote tank and the pump. it never clogs cause folks do the REQUIRED maint on it.
                            there are NO sensors in the circuit.
                            there are 4 SWITCH'S.
                            on or off.
                            just like the switch for the lamp in the refrigerator.
                            I have beat PBS to death on this and another forum.
                            it is a stupidly simple system with 4 switchs and a hose.
                            But doesn’t it kick a lot of tech’s asses on the Master Tech exam???

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

But doesn’t it kick a lot of tech’s asses on the Master Tech exam???
                              Yes, the stupidly simple automatic oil transfer system is the number one reason that wannabe Yam mechanics fail the master exam.

Now pity the poor layman who has not a clue.

Comment

Working...
                              X