No announcement yet.

1985 Yamaha 150 hp oil resivior not refilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

your going to end up with at least two resistors.
    orange wire,pink wire then another resistor from pink to black.
    remember its a pick off voltage type setup.
    5V reference is the orange wire,pink is picked off voltage from the resistor and black is the resistor ground.
    its a simple potentiometer setup.

Comment

I just ordered a new one here at Boats.net, got a trim meter too so I guess this will work now.

Comment

Alright well i believe that my trim sensor works just fine, because theres a trim gauge in my dash that works just fine

Comment

typically looking at the trim meter is the fastest way to see if the sender works.
          if the meter works the sender works.
          however you also need to make sure the oil control module sees it as well.

on the pre 1995 V4 and 2.6L v6 the engine oil tank connector wires can be jumped with the key on engine off to activate the module.
          white to black pump on,brown to black pump off, black to red pump on,rpm reduction, audible alarm and visual indicate far left bar or red lamp.

a quick test to see if the module is working is to drain the engine tank,make sure the remote tank is about 1/2 full and turn on the key.
          pump should run 180 seconds,aduble will sound until the engine tank lower mark is reached and the 3 bars or all lamps flash.

if this happens you just tested the remote tank,transfer pump and wiring between the tank and engine.

typically takes less than 1 hour to compleatly test V precision blend electrical.

Comment

I forgot.

On motors through 1989 a mercury switch was used to tell the CDI if the motor was in the vertical position. The trim sensor on your motor was employed and utilized for this purpose from 1990 until 1995.

Check your mercury switch.

Damn, there are too many Yam configurations to keep up with.

Comment

Mine is an 1996, is there an mercury switch or do it use trim sensor? Or none of these? Tried and testet the remote tank, everything works without the trim sensor.

Comment

V4 and V6 Yamahas from 1984 thru 1989 used a mercury switch to detect degree of engine tilt. Below a certain degree auto oil transfer was allowed to happen. Above a certain degree auto oil transfer was inhibited.

V6 models from 1990 thru 1995 used the trim sensor to detect degree of tilt. V4's continued to use a mercury switch.

In 1996 V4's and V6's the auto transfer of oil was tied to operation of the motor. If the motor was not running auto transfer was inhibited. Auto transfer was allowed if the motor is running. But, there are exceptions to most all rules.

From 1996 onward there can be a time when auto oil transfer is allowed with the motor not running. If the main oil tank is empty, and if the remote tank has sufficient oil (say for example when the motor is brand new out of the box) then when the key is turned to the ON position auto transfer is allowed and will commence. This auto transfer will occur until (1) three minutes time has passed or (2) the main tank fills up, in which case the float sensor switch will close and the CDI will stop auto oil transfer.

This is useful is checking the system. Simply drain the main tank and reattach and secure the plastic sump. Make sure there is oil in the remote tank. Turn the key on. The pump should start running and oil should fill the main oil tank.

This is why it is helpful to know the model and year of the motor having a problem. Two motors can have the same symptoms but the core problem may be completely different.

Comment

gbraen

this is also why it is a good idea to start your own thread instead of posting on someone elses, as this one is about a 1985 model 150.
                  We have no idea what your motor is except it is a 1996 according to you

Comment

It's quite alright, I just bought an trim sensor anyway, it doesnt matter.

My engine is a different one than they been selling in the states. European model, 1996, old style CDI with screw connection and oil injection. Downloaded a workshop manual from USA, no one there is similar to my engine. Engine nr 6E5-368182. To find the right parts for that model I have to go to Yamaha UK for the parts no.

Comment

Start a new thread of your own and we will get you fixed up. This one is too confusing.

Be very precise as to what is going on and when it is happening.

Comment

Alright I'm going to check the mercury switch later today, but can you give me an idea of where it's located at?

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          typically looking at the trim meter is the fastest way to see if the sender works.
                          if the meter works the sender works.
                          however you also need to make sure the oil control module sees it as well.
                          Does the opposite logic hold too?

If the trim switch is not showing a value is this giving the pump a bad signal (1991 225TXRP)?

Comment

Working...
                          X