1985 Yamaha 150 hp oil resivior not refilling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1985 Yamaha 150 hp oil resivior not refilling

I'm looking to fix a problem on my 1985 Yamaha 150 hp. The engine is supposed to mix the 2 stroke oil with the gas on its own, which it does. The problem is that there is an oil resivior on the engine that is supposed to stay full by turning on a pump that pumps oil from the oil tank to the resivior. The pump won't turn on automatically though. However there is a manual switch on the engine that when held up turns on the pump, and that part works.

okay.
    that means the key on power to the transfer pump and most the ground path is intact and working.
    now its going to most likely be the engine tank switch, the remote tank switch or the oil control module or the trim sensor.
    what tachometer package do you have?

looking at the digital tach shortens troubleshooting time.

Comment

I'm not quite sure, how do I check?

Comment

What type of tachometer do you have? Digital display or analog needle and dial type?

Are there lights on either? If so, what color light is illuminated?

A switch on the main tank sensor tells a module to turn on the electric pump to transfer oil. If that switch is not functioning correctly, no oil will transfer automatically because the module is not being told what to do.

The main tank sensor switch might be just fine but the module has failed. Failed module means no oil transfer.

A switch on the remote tank sensor tells the module that oil is available in the remote tank so go ahead and turn on the pump. If that switch has failed the module may be getting incorrect information that says I don't have any oil to send. The pump will not run.

The module also looks for information from the trim sensor. If the trim sensor is not telling the module that the motor is trimmed down then the module will not turn on the pump.

Trouble shooting is needed. Get a service manual and learn more about what does what. And when.
        Last edited by boscoe99; 02-27-2014, 06:35 PM.

Comment

I have the analog needle and dial type, and it is illuminated with a small regular condessent light bulb

Comment

8354000-250.jpg

I have a similar problem, and have the above instrument. What is the 3 bulbs for? The 2 on each side monitoring level on the engine tank, is this right?

The one in the middle?

Comment

Does no one read their owners manuals any more?

Comment

whuuuut???
                READ????
                aint there an app for that ??
                its also why periodic maint is required on stuff.

Comment

I don't actually have an owners manual because I purchased the boat used

Comment

YAMAHA MANUAL STORE

you will have a hard time finding a owners manual for a almost 30 year old motor, but you can find a service manual

Comment

Of course, downloaded the owners manual from the US Yamaha website. Don't have it myself, old outboard...

Excellent!

Prior owner had cut the wires on the engine, have to find out which goes where. Green/red and green/black to the warning lamps on the tachometer i guess.

The trim sensor is broken, I just removed it. What happens to the automatic filling of engine reservoir then?
                      Last edited by gbraen; 02-28-2014, 06:00 PM.

Comment

if the trim sensor is broken you have 3 options.
                        replace it
                        cut in a set of resistors to mimic full down all the time.
                        remove the oil system and pre-mix at 50/1.

Comment

New one coming up then. Expensive part! I can see several on Ebay, but I don't fancy used parts.

Comment

resistors are like a buck fifty for 5 at radio shack.

Comment

489 ohm between pink and black?

Comment

Working...
                              X