For you gun owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
    Roscoe knows how to get something started and then disappear doesn't he.
    Not trying to get anything untoward started.

I was reading about the Southwest Air Lines problem where the press said a lady was almost sucked out of the cabin through a hole that was left when the window was taken out by a rogue fan blade. I was thinking that high pressure inside the cabin was trying to blow her out the window. It then got me to thinking are there some folks who think a bullet is sucked out of the gun barrel?

Words! Why is it "last night" but "this morning". Both are in the past. Why isn't it last night and last morning? This Friday is tomorrow so why isn't this morning Friday morning?

Comment

I'm going to come over "this morning" is in the near future if said at 8 am. You are correct you could also be referring to something in the recent past as "it happened this morning".
      Dennis
      Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

History of injuries is an interesting concept. Not sure how that would work. Will be part of the conversation for sure. Thanks.

So stay away from stallions???
        You can get a Veterinarian Check done. They can tell and do tests that involve the full (extent of) movement of all the joints. They also watch how they go through their paces: walk, trot, canter.

Often past injuries are excused as not affecting the horse, and often they do actually catch up, just like in humans. Here we can afford to be picky as there is an abundance of good horses, sure, if your pet has injuries there may be no reason not to ride them. It's just common sense to avoid when there is a lot of choice in buying.

Stallions usually no. Mares also can be problematic. Young horses you have to be careful with. Older Geldings (six years onwards) are the safest bet. Depending on the use a horse less than twelve ideal. You need a balance between willingness to learn, and experience. Horses take many years to train, so for a young or lesser experienced rider a horse with atleast four years training ideal. Older horses particularly found in riding schools, or those that have had many owners tend to be set in their ways. Often they have strong strategies in getting out of doing what the owner or rider wants. And you may find an ideal horse that does things nicely, only to go sour down the track. This happens when the new owner is not experienced or bad, as horses pickup on weaknesses well.

Remember every experience a horse has with humans good or bad, is training to them, they have good memories. Bad habits must be overtrained with good habits. Humans must provide leadership but they must get on with their horse, that relationship must be trust.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Not trying to get anything untoward started.

I was reading about the Southwest Air Lines problem where the press said a lady was almost sucked out of the cabin through a hole that was left when the window was taken out by a rogue fan blade. I was thinking that high pressure inside the cabin was trying to blow her out the window. It then got me to thinking are there some folks who think a bullet is sucked out of the gun barrel?

Words! Why is it "last night" but "this morning". Both are in the past. Why isn't it last night and last morning? This Friday is tomorrow so why isn't this morning Friday morning?
          There is nothing wrong in using this night or last morning. It is common the way you express because with last night it often occurs that there has been a break in between, namely the speaker had gone to sleep until morning before telling his tale. This morning means there hasn't been such a break, and indeed it is still the same day. And this morning is Friday morning!

As I earlier said suck , sucked, sucking etc. describes the action rather than the correct physical action. We are allowed to have words for things that don't exist or are imaginary.
          Last edited by zenoahphobic; 04-20-2018, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by zenoahphobic View Post

You can get a Veterinarian Check done. They can tell and do tests that involve the full (extent of) movement of all the joints. They also watch how they go through their paces: walk, trot, canter.

Often past injuries are excused as not affecting the horse, and often they do actually catch up, just like in humans. Here we can afford to be picky as there is an abundance of good horses, sure, if your pet has injuries there may be no reason not to ride them. It's just common sense to avoid when there is a lot of choice in buying.

Stallions usually no. Mares also can be problematic. Young horses you have to be careful with. Older Geldings (six years onwards) are the safest bet. Depending on the use a horse less than twelve ideal. You need a balance between willingness to learn, and experience. Horses take many years to train, so for a young or lesser experienced rider a horse with atleast four years training ideal. Older horses particularly found in riding schools, or those that have had many owners tend to be set in their ways. Often they have strong strategies in getting out of doing what the owner or rider wants. And you may find an ideal horse that does things nicely, only to go sour down the track. This happens when the new owner is not experienced or bad, as horses pickup on weaknesses well.

Remember every experience a horse has with humans good or bad, is training to them, they have good memories. Bad habits must be overtrained with good habits. Humans must provide leadership but they must get on with their horse, that relationship must be trust.
            Thanks.

I was was kidding about the stallion.

Most likely a thoroughbred gelding. She needs to move up and also get a few years out of the horse. My poor boat may suffer....

Comment

Thanks.

I was was kidding about the stallion.

Most likely a thoroughbred gelding. She needs to move up and also get a few years out of the horse. My poor boat may suffer....
              Thorough breads are athletic and possess endurance.

Two things to look out for particularly if from a racing stable. If you live in a cold climate they can have difficulty holding their condition, they use up a lot of energy keeping warm. They also could have compromised digestive systems as they would have been feed rich food from birth. Feed less and hay/ grass only if they are not being used. The caution is also that they must be wormed, and may have infestation or even gut holes stopping them from keeping on weight.

The second thing is TB's tend to have poor hooves (light bred for racing), so a good look at including underneath.

And thirdly feel their legs and joints and around tendons. There should be no swelling or puffiness at all, you should be able to feel all the structures. Of course tendon damage will show up as thickening or bowing. These should be absolutely smooth and even all the way down. Apart from a horse being slow, it is usually the legs and feet that retires them.

Happy to advise as I've seen many horses and unhappy owners that have not taken the time and effort to do these things.Many pitfalls.

One more thing, get your daughter to ride the prospective horse under close supervision by an instructor. Of course get the owner to ride it in front of you first.

Good luck and happy horse ownership. Horses and boats don't mix, although I used to take mine for a swim where I also drive my boat.

Comment

Panasonic:
                While we wait on Zeno to have his morning coffee/tea.....when will the boating season begin up there? We seem to be stuck on balmy weather during week and NE cold winds on weekends.
                Here the ice is gone in ponds and Lakes...but it snowed last night a bit.

My home, where I do most boating in the sea...different story.

A few determined fellows trying to get at FB_IMG_1524322484585.jpg the seals....hahaha

Comment

need an air boat with a strong bottom to slide over all of that stuff

Comment

Working...
                  X