GPS Connection for 6yc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post

Why not? Power the GPS receiver with 5 volts. Supply the 6YC display with the GPS speed output. Voila, GPS speed will appear on the 6YC display.

What model Garmin do you have by the way.
    My garmin is a simple striker 4 cv plus...

Comment

Originally posted by walleye1 View Post
      Should'nt the gps receiver [antenna] be powered off of the electronics [depth finders]?
      One would think so but according to the manufacturer's literature it uses a 5 volt power supply.

Comment

Seems the system requirements sound like a computer system

System requirements • Linux ex Kernel 2.6, Mac, Windows 98SE/ME/2000/XP/Vista/7/8,
        Windows Mobile 2003/5/6, Android ex V2.1
        • MD6 connection cable

Comment

I’’m not sure if it works on a computer system or if you need a computer for the first setup and for advanced settings...
          in any case I guess how to connect both devices if the GPS receiver can be connected only by a MD6 cable.

Also: even on the USB port I see written 5volts. But it’’s powered by a 12v system... I think 5v is the voltage for any device plugged in (i.e. battery charger...).
          could it be the same for the GPS receiver?
          Last edited by PlutusMarine; 04-29-2018, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Hello folks! I finally decided to buy a GPS antenna for my Yamaha 6YC and I found the Garmin GPS 19x HVS (NMEA 0183).
            Now, I was wondering how to connect both devices since I got two wires (blue - and white +) coming off the back of the 6YC.
            Maybe with some pics it could be easier...
            IMG_3998.jpgIMG_3999.jpgIMG_4001.jpg
            Actually, I don't understand exactly what garmin manual says at pag. 5... GPS19x_HVS_INST_ML_.pdf
            Hope you guys can help me... Thanks!

Comment

The Garmin 19x is an excellent device - but the wiring is confusing. Lets work it out

To get GPS data to the Yamaha, we need to connect the transmit (Tx) of the Garmin to the 6YC (which is receive (Rx)

So the Garmin gray (Tx+) connects to the Yamaha white (Rx +)
              the Garmin white/red (Tx-) connects to the Yamaha blue (Rx gnd - which is -)

that's it for the Yamaha connections.

However, you also have to provide power for the Garmin, so it can operate

So you need to connect the Garmin black to ground,
              and the Garmin red to 12V+ power
              (which you can switch off, so as not to run down the battery when you don't need it)

There are lots of way to provide that switched power for the Garmin -
              if you have an available yellow wire connector
              on your Yamaha keyswitch/remote control/gauge harness -
              you could tap into that for the garmin
              then it would work whenever your 6YC is on - but go off with it.

Comment

That’s a good news! It seems quite easy... now I’m looking forward to receiving the gps that I bought yesterday.
                thanks for your help!

Comment

I’ve finally connected the garmin 19x to the Yamaha 6yc gauge...
                  in addition to the two tx wires you must connect the orange one to the ground. Hope it could be helpful for someone else!
                  thanks folks

Comment

Working...
                  X