Yam99- what is wrong with this meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

Hope buddy In the picture got a stainless steel prop on his engine....Aluminum ones don't like chunks of ice passing through them when backing up. Looks like he is backing up to get another run at the ice....
    I never thought of that, but you're right! Chunks of ice wouldn't fair well! That's actually a picture from the little town in Maine where we vacation.
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

https://www.amazon.ca/Extech-EX330-A.../dp/B000EX0AE4

Nice meter for less than $100.00

I have Extech clamp meter that I am very happy with paid a couple Hundred for it....but about half the price of a comparable Fluke.

We used to only have Fluke Meters at work and they are really good meters, but in last year's we have slowly been getting Extech meters for a lot less money.

People tend to cheap out on meters...if you buy a decent one in the first place it will last a long time, money well spent.

Comment

I use Fluke 73III meter.

Comment

I use a Fluke 87, it is old but still working fine.
          also have a Fluke 337 clamp meter that will read AC or DC amps along with Ac and Dc voltage and ohms/continuity, and Hz.
          will also grab inrush and Min Max.
          good meters are important to some people if used often

Comment

SS wont matter.
            I am replacing the prop shaft on an F250 , ice bent it.
            duck guides that think they can crush through 10" of ice. I bet I make more than he did.

Comment

me. I use radio shack meters. they work well and don't cost near as much as a fluke. does not hurt so bad when they drown.

Comment

[QUOT=rodbolt17;n202248]SS wont matter.
                duck guides that think they can crush through 10" of ice. I bet I make more than he did.
                [/QUOTE]

At least the stainless prop just bent whereas an aluminum prop you can break the blades off in ice. Still get home with bent blades...bit harder when you got blades broken off.

As I said..you need to be careful operating in ice..pushing to hard especially backing up can destroy the best of props...

Comment

if it also checks resistance then put on ohms and touch the leads together, it the meter reads "0" the leads are good.

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post
                    [QUOT=rodbolt17;n202248]SS wont matter.
                    At least the stainless prop just bent whereas an aluminum prop you can break the blades off in ice. Still get home with bent blades...bit harder when you got blades broken off.

As I said..you need to be careful operating in ice..pushing to hard especially backing up can destroy the best of props...
                    [/QUOTE]

Did you read it was not the prop that bent?
                    running a bent shaft could mean hurting the lower even worse.

If it is only a prop, they can be swapped out with your spare to get you home.
                    A shaft not so easy

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post

Did you read it was not the prop that bent?
                      running a bent shaft could mean hurting the lower even worse.

If it is only a prop, they can be swapped out with your spare to get you home.
                      A shaft not so easy[/QUOTE]

No I missed the word shaft...my mistake. Bending prop shaft not so good.....

Comment

no damage to the prop. guy got lucky about 350 for the shaft and about 4 hours of my time and about 30 bucks worth of seals and orings. nothing but water in the case so it was a full strip down and cleaning.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
                          no damage to the prop. guy got lucky about 350 for the shaft and about 4 hours of my time and about 30 bucks worth of seals and orings. nothing but water in the case so it was a full strip down and cleaning.
                          Sounds like it was just under 1 boat unit
                          Do you think an aluminum prop would have saved the shaft from being bent?
                          at least some of the guys that run in rock infested waters say they will sacrifice an aluminum prop to keep from damaging other parts of the motor.

Comment

Working...
                          X