Yam99- what is wrong with this meter?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yam99- what is wrong with this meter?

I have a "not so top of line" led electrical meter. Not auto ranging...checking a 12 volt car battery. Reads 0.40 volts. Set on 20 volt setting for D.C.
    Reads 3.8 volts when checking household voltage on the 200 AC setting. Assuming this POS is toast. Shame on me for buying a POS.

Make sure the leads are plugged into the proper holes? Show a pic of your meter?
    2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
    1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Harbor Freight maybe????

Comment

Pics not working. Com is black and red above that. Not in the 10 amp connector.

Comment

If the red is in the hole associated with V, then it should be working. You can try replacing the battery, just for giggles. Other than that, it could be an issue with the leads of the meter, itself. Or... your car battery is totally dead and your house wiring is FUBAR. I'm thinking it's one of the first two things...

Used Post Images as a test for picture...

Last edited by DennisG01; 01-28-2018, 04:20 PM.
          2000 Yamaha OX66 250HP SX250TXRY 61AX103847T
          1982 Grady Weekender/Offshore (removed stern drive & modded to be an OB)

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post
            If the red is in the hole associated with V, then it should be working. You can try replacing the battery, just for giggles. Other than that, it could be an issue with the leads of the meter, itself. Or... your car battery is totally dead and your house wiring is FUBAR. I'm thinking it's one of the first two things...

I replaced that 9 volt two months ago. I can't remember if I bought the two pack battery set. The outdoor light fixture seems to be working fine. Which is the project that made me realize something was amiss with this fine instrument.

Comment

The site is acting up today....

Comment

how old is the meter, and has the leads been used a bunch?
                might be just a bad connection in the leads, like a broken wire.

9 volt battery will not last for 2 months in a cheap meter if it is left on.
                expensive meters will turn them selves off after a set time if left on .

Comment

I think I need a good autoranging meter. Maybe I can "grow" into it. I didn't leave it on. My dad always kept his hidden because he figured someone would leave it "on".

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post
                    I think I need a good autoranging meter. Maybe I can "grow" into it. I didn't leave it on. My dad always kept his hidden because he figured someone would leave it "on".
                    If dads were smart they would hide all of their "stuff" from their kids.

Those same kids that screwed up their dads stuff however get their payback when they have kids.

Took me many years to realize that "because I said so, that's why" was a sufficient answer.

Comment

need to get another meter so you can check out (troubleshoot)the leads and non working meter

ever once in awhile I get to looking for tools or other stuff I use to have but cannot find anymore.

With 2 boys around years ago you never knew what happened to a lot of things.
                      Last edited by 99yam40; 01-28-2018, 04:58 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                        need to get another meter so you can check out (troubleshoot)the leads and non working meter

ever once in awhile I get to looking for tools or other stuff I use to have but cannot find anymore.

With 2 boys around years ago you never knew what happened to a lot of things.
                        I will wager a bet that neither one of them knew anything at all about the disappearance of your stuff.

My dad had a small outboard motor that went missing. We presumed it was stolen although there was nil theft back in the day where we lived. Never locked the house at all. Left the keys in the car over night so we knew where they could be found. Turns out that my brother gave the motor to a fisherman friend of his. We found out about it well after the fact. Long after he denied knowing anything at all about it going missing.
                        Last edited by boscoe99; 01-28-2018, 05:49 PM.

Comment

After I grew up.... lol and moved out of the house my dad always just came over to my house and located his tools! Knew exactly where to look! He passed away three years ago so now I have his tools for keeps.
                          Dennis
                          Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Originally posted by dray0151 View Post
                            After I grew up.... lol and moved out of the house my dad always just came over to my house and located his tools! Knew exactly where to look! He passed away three years ago so now I have his tools for keeps.
                            I'm sure he would be happy knowing you now have his tools. He knew he would have to keep them long enough for you to learn to keep up with your belongings. Growing up and the associated facts stink. First you learn to deal with losing pets. Then grandparents. Then parents. Here's hoping our kids catch on quicker than we did....

Comment

Originally posted by DennisG01 View Post

Used Post Images as a test for picture...

Hope buddy In the picture got a stainless steel prop on his engine....Aluminum ones don't like chunks of ice passing through them when backing up. Looks like he is backing up to get another run at the ice....

Comment

Working...
                              X