2008 Yamaha F250 TXR Trim and Tilt Assy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chuckberg2 View Post
    thanks on the uproar reply, but got it, not an uproar, just a tangent.
    It can keep this place lively.

Just like the country (the USA) you can see that we are unified in our position.

Comment

If the oring is not gone hard , it is still soft, and is still sticking up above the surface it's supposed to seal when in the holding groove on the part. I would reuse it. But if in doubt about it....replace it.

No uproar here, just a good debate and different opinions on stuff.

Scott I use loctite on some fasteners on snowblowers as they vibrate like crazy. Also as you mentioned, some very critical parts inside motorcycle engines that you definitely do not want to come loose..and destroy the engine.

Comment

We love loctite and tangent debates!!!!!
        Dennis
        Keep life simple, eat, sleep, fish, repeat!

Comment

Thanks to everyone, you are life savers, i gotta go back to work now.

Comment

What I like about the inner web is that if someone has a mind to do something, in a particular way, they can ask how to go about doing what they want to do. Particularly on the other website. THT. They will get 10, 20, 30 or maybe more different ways to do something. They can then pick the answer that agrees with what they wanted to do in the first place. Then, if that way does not work out they can blame the guy on the inner web that gave them crap information.

Comment

Blame it on the Russians *****s! They gave bad info.
              Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

Scott I use loctite on some fasteners on snowblowers as they vibrate like crazy. Also as you mentioned, some very critical parts inside motorcycle engines that you definitely do not want to come loose..and destroy the engine.
                I recall reading about some Suzuki outboard motors that used a screw to hold a throttle valve, or maybe it was a choke valve, to its shaft. The screw would vibrate loose and get inhaled by the engine. Doing significant damage. That might have been a good place for red loctite. Or some mechanical way to prevent the screw from coming loose.

We got vibrating outboard motor piston pounders with not much regard for fasteners coming loose. Then we got relatively vibration free air craft gas turbines with all sorts of means employed to prevent damage due to fasteners coming loose. But given the completely different application, and the exorbitant cost of gas turbines, it makes sense to err on the side of caution. Think lock wire. Lock tabs. Lock Nuts. Loctite.

Comment

Not fasteners coming loose but when I was in the Navy some malcontent (there were a lot of us draft dodgers in the Navy at the time) taped a roll of nickles way down into the intake of an F8 Corsair. It was not a pretty sight when the engine inhaled the nickles. It was not a pretty sight when some guy got inhaled by an F8 either. Or maybe it was the A6.

Comment

Think about the big difference there. The outboard you are already on the water if something happens, you can hopefully call for help. The aircraft engine you may hit the water pretty hard if something happens!!!! And then as you mention the cost.
                    Dennis

Comment

Originally posted by panasonic View Post

People take your stuff often?
                      No, and actually, I'm in a very, very good neighborhood...

The aluminum straps are so I can run the machine in the middle of a storm and it's NOT blowing away. The HD chain and lock, that's a deterrent...

However, a lot of folks down here don't have generators...(I don't go W/O electric & A/C-when needed). (currently have THREE.)

When you have no A/C, lights, fans, etc, for say a week, it can be tempting, hearing a generator running to abscond with it.
                      Being bolted down and chained to a 350lb slab of concrete delays things a bit...

Had no electric for about 28 hours with Irma. That generator ran the whole time, 3/4 of the block left.

I had A/C, TV internet, lights, doing great till the sea -wall failed.. That of course didn't affect the house/boat, just my wallet and back yard

*Being a retired PO in the "bad side" of the county for 25 years, I've seen LOTS of stuff "walk away" real quick.

Hence my propensity to make sure "my stuff" stays my stuff.
                      Scott
                      1997 Angler 204, Center Console powered by a 2006 Yamaha F150TXR

Comment

I borrowed a generator from a cousin after a hurrican. was heading to return in 1st thing in the morning so had a neibor help me load it up into my PU the night before.
                        backed the truck up to the garage door where the tail gate could not be dropped.
                        cranked it up and ran a cord into the garage and house to run a fan over night.
                        woke up during the night and fan was not running.
                        when out to check and the generator was gone,' had to be several people involved to lift it out over the side.
                        I hate thieves

Comment

Originally posted by 99yam40 View Post
                          I borrowed a generator from a cousin after a hurrican. was heading to return in 1st thing in the morning so had a neibor help me load it up into my PU the night before.
                          backed the truck up to the garage door where the tail gate could not be dropped.
                          cranked it up and ran a cord into the garage and house to run a fan over night.
                          woke up during the night and fan was not running.
                          when out to check and the generator was gone,' had to be several people involved to lift it out over the side.
                          I hate thieves
                          That's EXACTLY why my Generator is secured as such. It's also behind a 4' chain link, locked fence, on the side of the house(master bedroom side)..

.If they want it, they'll be working for it..

What's also been known to happen is as the machines are so noisy, they'll put a RUNNING LAWNMOWER in it's place, so you don't hear it stop running.

Scott

Comment

Originally posted by TownsendsFJR1300 View Post

That's EXACTLY why my Generator is secured as such. It's also behind a 4' chain link, locked fence, on the side of the house(master bedroom side)..

.If they want it, they'll be working for it..

What's also been known to happen is as the machines are so noisy, they'll put a RUNNING LAWNMOWER in it's place, so you don't hear it stop running.
                            Your neighbors aren't going to be the issue.
                            The cruisers will be. The reason for the curfews after these disasters. There were about five of us that didn't evacuate in houses in a neighborhood of 56 homes. We figured we were ready. Scoped high powered rifles and shotguns. We would have probably shot each other. But we felt in control that night of the storm.

Comment

Originally posted by pstephens46 View Post

Your neighbors aren't going to be the issue.
                              The cruisers will be. The reason for the curfews after these disasters. There were about five of us that didn't evacuate in houses in a neighborhood of 56 homes. We figured we were ready. Scoped high powered rifles and shotguns. We would have probably shot each other. But we felt in control that night of the storm.

I did not think it was my neighbors , but am not sure if one of
                              their 50 some year old sons and buddies were not responsible
                              there has been some strange things that happen around here seeing the police showing up from time to time to talk with them.
                              glad to not see them around here much anymore
                              one of the neighbors is raising their great grand child
                              Last edited by 99yam40; 01-25-2018, 10:59 PM.

Comment

Folks (and thieves) really get desperate when basic necessities are not there.. Especially if over a long period of time..
                                (I had three customers generators to get running in two days right before Irma-all carbs clogged)

They forecast of 18' storm surge (lowest part of my home is 8.5' from mean high tide). So most folks left.
                                It was super dark that night and "desolate" if you would..

The tide, with Hurricane Charlie and recently Irma, has NEVER gone more than a foot above (pictured below).
                                Been here since 1985.

The highest tide, picture below with Irma:

(High tide is usually 3-5' BELOW the pictured under water cap)

Hurricane Charlie (per my neighbor was about a foot higher).
                                Last edited by TownsendsFJR1300; 01-26-2018, 07:48 AM.
                                Scott

Comment

Working...
                                X