Carb Problem on 2003 F60TLRB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Carb Problem on 2003 F60TLRB

Two of the carbs keep flooding out on my motor. From what I can tell there must be some type of a check valve in at least one of the passage ways in the carb body itself that is sticking. Is there anyway to service/replace these without replacing the entire carb body or does anybody have any ideas to keep them from sticking? The same two carbs flood no matter where they are placed in the stack. They have been cleaned multiple times and put back on. The motor will run fine until one of them sticks and then it immediately floods and won't run. If you are looking at the carb stack you can see gas running down the sides when it happens too.
    Thanks in advance

sounds like the needles are sticking, when you took the carbs apart did you inspect the needles and seats. and or replace them.. you should have.

Comment

float sticking because it got bent, not adjusted properly, trash getting in the seat not allowing needle to seal, damaged needle or seat are just some of the possible problems causing flooding.
      You need to inspect, clean, and adjust everything to spec.

Also, it is not a good idea to move the carbs from their designated location.

Some have different jets in them for the different cylinders on some motors

Comment

How were they cleaned? Was a heated ultrasonic cleaner used?

Was the float height checked and verified as being to specification? Were new floats installed? Was a new inlet valve installed? Was the system verified to be working properly upon installation?

You should have noted an inlet valve that is actuated by a float. The float rising closes the valve. The float dropping opens the valve. The float height being out of specification, the tip of the needle valve being damaged or the valve seat being damaged or contaminated can prevent the valve from fully closing.

As noted, mark all of the carburetors before disassembly so that you can keep them in their proper order. They look alike but can have some differences. Maybe clean them one at a time so as not to get them confused. Don't ask me how I know to do this.

Comment

Needles all replaced and isn't floats. Do any of you know about the check valve in one of the passages in the carb body. We have opened it by blowing air through it but it will run a time or two and stick again. I may be stuck with buying new carb bodies but trying to prevent if anybody knew any secrets.
          Thanks

Comment

A check valve in the body may be stuck/clogged but I don't think that is the issue. If you can pump the primer ball and the carburetor over flows with fuel it has to be the inlet valve.

Inlet valve closed, no fuel into the carburetor. Inlet valve open, when it should be closed, the carburetor will flood. Been there and done that.

Did you use a heated ultrasonic cleaner with an acceptable carburetor cleaner? If not, you may be wasting your time. Been there and done that.

After a thorough cleaning I like to blast all of the orifices and passageways using either brake cleaner or throttle body cleaner to make sure any crap gets out of there.

For some carburetors, Yam has published a modification so that any crap that gets into a carburetor can get back out. Of course they would love to sell you a new carburetor or two.

Comment

are you sure you didn't damage the float when you were doing the carbs as if you did it will sit on the bottom and flood your carbs as it wont be doing what it supposed to do ,or you would have put the clip wrong way and it will start doing the opposite

Comment

Did you clear out everything upstream of the motor? For less than the marina's cost of cleaning the tank, I replaced it, bulb, fuel hoses and filter. If you're tank has "contaminated" gas (same as old 10% ethanol), you could be undoing your expensive rebuilt at the first start.

Comment

Originally posted by madharchod View Post
                  ,or you would have put the clip wrong way and it will start doing the opposite
                  I do not understand this statement,, what clip and how can it do the opposite,, a float floats, if it doesnt float it is stuck or cracked and full of fuel,,, Im sure he appreciates your willingness to help, but please clarify..

Comment

Working...
                  X