150 TXRC a bit hard to start

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 150 TXRC a bit hard to start

Just had the carbs re-built and rest of fuel system replaced (fuel pumps, filter & housing, and a new fuel/water sep)

Motor runs great after starting, and will restart right at the crank after the first "cold" start, even if it has set 30-60 minutes.

But when I get to the boat "cold", I pump the primer bulb hard, then turn the key and press in the electric choke. Motor turns right over, but it seems like it takes me three or four cranking tries of 10 secs each, then finally a sputter or two, then she fires up and runs great the rest of the day.....

Really seems like there's no fuel......until there is fuel!

Suggestions???

only thing your missing is you MUST advance the throttle lever to PROPERLY start that motor.
    pump primer to fill fuel bowls.advance lever to start at about 1500 RPM,turn the key to on, push to choke, turn the key to start while remaing to push.
    when motor fires adjust throttle as nessasary to maintain 1500-1800 RPM for 30 seconds or so.

Comment

Originally posted by rodbolt17 View Post
      only thing your missing is you MUST advance the throttle lever to PROPERLY start that motor.
      Ok, I'm an idiot. My old MERC had a neutral throttle lever right next to the regular shift/throttle.

However, the custom throttle/shifter on my boat with the Yamaha doesn't. So I stupidly assumed it didn't require extra throttle to start.

IT DOES however (i just found out), have a button right where the throttle pivots that allows for neutral throttle adjustment.......but I didn't realize that! So Rodbolt, thanks, I re-looked at the throttle, re-read the manuals, and am 99% sure the answer is just give it some gas to get it to start quicker. I was starting it at idle speed. Guess I'm lucky it would even start that way!

Comment

Actually you are adding more air when you move the throttle during start up, it opens the throttle plates to allow more air to go with the extra fuel while using the choke

Comment

Working...
        X