No announcement yet.

NMEA2000 connection on a 2006 model F50

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The motor has not been modified in any way. I know that for a fact.

It is probably one of the first 2006 models out there and they must have used a different harness on the first production series and moved over to another a little later.

Comment

I have a similar issue on a FT60DET 2006. Where I'm trying to hook up my HDS Touch to the engine but I have the digital gauges which from my research and this discussion seem to indicate the engine is NMEA 2000 capable. However the gauges are not connected via a command link or J box. The wiring loam simply has termination plugs which are connected to the two gauges. It looks very complex wiring and way beyond my capability to work out and tap into.

There is no white 4 pin plug in the engine cowl (I have looked several times to make sure) there is an unterminated 3 pin plug though?

Freddel1972, Maybe you have the same wiring set up as me, where it can connect to digital gauges (using NMEA 2000) but has a completely different loom. Just have to work out how to tap in to it.

Whilst this doesn't solve your problem it still maybe something you can overcome.

I if find out more ill let you know.

Comment

The gauges have nothing to do with engine data being output via a Yamaha NMEA 2000 network. You can have no gauges, analog needle and dial gauges, analog gauges with a digital display (conventional multi-function gauges) or digital gauges with a digital display (Command Link), and still get engine data. But, from only those motors that have the appropriate wire harness and ECU.

All analog gauges (needle/dial and conventional multi-function) are connected to the motor via a harness to the key switch and a harness directly to the motor. The tachometers for example have four single wires and one or two nylon connectors with four pins in each connector.

With the digital Command Link gauge there is only one connector used. It goes to a Yamaha Command Link hub that is connected to a CL port on the motor.

Don't go confusing digital display conventional gauges with Command Link gauges. See below:

Comment

Originally posted by Wishicouldfisheveryday View Post
          I have a similar issue on a FT60DET 2006. Where I'm trying to hook up my HDS Touch to the engine but I have the digital gauges which from my research and this discussion seem to indicate the engine is NMEA 2000 capable. However the gauges are not connected via a command link or J box. The wiring loam simply has termination plugs which are connected to the two gauges. It looks very complex wiring and way beyond my capability to work out and tap into.

There is no white 4 pin plug in the engine cowl (I have looked several times to make sure) there is an unterminated 3 pin plug though?

Freddel1972, Maybe you have the same wiring set up as me, where it can connect to digital gauges (using NMEA 2000) but has a completely different loom. Just have to work out how to tap in to it. Can't be done.
          Whilst this doesn't solve your problem it still maybe something you can overcome.

I if find out more ill let you know.
          See comment above. If there is no Command Link connector in the engine pan there is no way to get engine data to a chart plotter.

Comment

look at that small white connector,left hand side of first picture.
            only command link compatible moters used it.
            whats the date code and model number?

Comment

Looking at the picture you kindly posted I am running the analog gauges. Which blows my theory of tapping into the harness between the dials and engine out of the water. Excuse the pun.

Im away for work so can't get the engine number until Thursday. Many thanks for the advice so far.

Comment

Engine Details for NMEA 2000 Capability

The engine details i could find on the engine are; 6C6 1000561 N

Is this enough to determine if it is NMEA2000 enabled once and for all?

I guess I know the answer but am ever the optimist!

Comment

My data indicates the first T60 with Command Link capability is 6C6 1002114.

I think that it confirms once and for all that your motor should not have NMEA 2000 output.

Comment

if it was non command link it should not have that white one pin connector.
                    that connector is for command link or analog trim send.
                    connected for command link and not connected for analog.

Comment

If the single pin connector has a pink wire attached to it, and if its mate is nearby, I would agree with you. The OP is saying the harness does not have the CL connector.

You think he just has not looked closely enough?

Comment

I took my outboard to the local dealer. He had not seen my wire harness before. It is different from the 2004 model and not like the 2006 models. But he could tap into the harness and find my tach signal. NMEA 2000 was not an option unfortunately.

Comment

Working...
                        X