Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NMEA2000 connection on a 2006 model F50

Hi all.

I just bought a used Yamaha 2006 model F50. I have a Lowrance HDS5 and would like to connect this to get RPM and etc. readings from my outboard.

According to what I read most places the 2006 model with injection (which I have) is compatible with NMEA2000 connection.

I am searching for the connection under the cowling. What I am supposed to find is a connector with a blue and white wire, in a white connector. But when I am looking I can only find the more off white connectors on the picture.

If it is relevant I do not currently have any instruments connected.

Can anybody share some advice regarding this issue?

Anybody got a link to the 2006 wire harness colour explanation?

All help is appreciated

Brgds Fredde
    Attached Files

go here:

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

use "no Command Link" section.

Comment

Is the serial number of your motor 1006292 or higher? If so, it should have Command Link capability.

The connector is bright white. It should have a cap on it. It is a four pin connector but only two wires are used. A blue wire and a white wire. Dig deeper into the engine pan to see if it is not buried under some other wires.

Here is a photo of the connector with the cap off.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
        go here:

http://www.lowrance.com/Global/Lowra...Connection.pdf

use "no Command Link" section.
        The Lowrance stuff won't do him any good if his motor is not wired for Command Link instruments. This is TBD.

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
          Is the serial number of your motor 1006292 or higher? If so, it should have Command Link capability.

The connector is bright white. It should have a cap on it. It is a four pin connector but only two wires are used. A blue wire and a white wire. Dig deeper into the engine pan to see if it is not buried under some other wires.

Here is a photo of the connector with the cap off.

My serial number is 1009843. Where exactly is the connector hidden? I have searched around by the lift switch is that correct side?

Is it possible to see the bright white connector with the cap on?

This is driving me nuts

Comment

Originally posted by boscoe99 View Post
            The Lowrance stuff won't do him any good if his motor is not wired for Command Link instruments. This is TBD.
            Read the document. If his motor has the connections he should see the connector and then use the "no command link" instructions, meaning he does not have Command Link gauges. This connector is so obvious I'm beginning to think his motor may not be NMEA capable- there is just not that many connectors in there.

Comment

It should be towards the front but maybe to the left hand side. Dig deeper.

On the left hand side, towards the rear, try and see if you can find two single pink wires with an off white connector attached to each. They will also have caps on them. These are part of the Command Link system.

See attached diagram.

Comment

Originally posted by RayBersch View Post
                Read the document. If his motor has the connections he should see the connector and then use the "no command link" instructions, meaning he does not have Command Link gauges. This connector is so obvious I'm beginning to think his motor may not be NMEA capable- there is just not that many connectors in there.
                I know all about the document. I helped proof read it for Navico/Lowrance before it was published.

My comment was that the Lowrance cable is not going to be of any use if his motor is not wired for Command Link instruments. It should be, according to the serial number, but according to the owner the connector is not there. That or he just has not found it yet. It not as if we are looking for a needle in a haystack.

Comment

Thanks for all the help so far. I have attached two pictures of the connectors I have found. Both are connectors for four, but only three wires is connected. Maybe that will give you what you need to understand my F50 cable mess

When I look at the picture you have attached of the complete wire harness, it seems that I am missing the cables from where the lift button is located and backwards. Can you trace the white Command link connector back to where it comes out of the engine? Maybe it is supposed to be connected to one of the unconnected ones I have found?

Is there a place where I can find color coding for the whole wire harness?

BTW the engine is 100 % as delivered from factory. So no wires has been removed.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by fredde1972; 08-05-2013, 06:01 AM.

Comment

Went down to my port and had a look at a 2007 F60. I find all the connectors you are describing right away, both the white, blue wire with white connector and the two pink singles you mentioned.

So on my 2006 F50 they have definitely used a different wire harness.

Now the next big question is it possible to do some modifications to make this work?

I am quite pissed actually since i have read everywhere that 2006 and up are compatible with NMEA2000. I have spent more than 2000 dollars on Lowrance equipment the last to weeks and bought the F50 this Friday... Bummer...

Appreciate all the help I can get with this as I will eventually contact Yamaha with the same questions.
                    Last edited by fredde1972; 08-05-2013, 08:19 AM.

Comment

An F50 service manual for your particular model might have a color coded wiring diagram. Early Yam SM WDM's were in black and white. Pretty poor quality actually. Later SM's are much better and are in color.

Look at the wire harness for a tag that will indicate the part number of the harness. This is the only Yam part that I know of which has a part number applied to it. Not a tag really but more of a yellowish band around a bundle of wires. On the band their might be a part number.

Basic wire harness number is 6C5-82590-XX-00. The harness number pre Command Link is -00-00. The harness number that has the Command Link connectors should be a -30-00.

The F50 and F60 use the same harness part numbers. Once you find your part number go and look at the F60 you saw that has the CL connector. See if it is the same or a different part number.

Comment

Thanks, I will do that tomorrow morning.

Do you think CDI box is the same? So I can just replace wire harness to make it work?

Comment

No, the ECU is not the same. When you are at your motor looking for the harness part number get the dash number from the ECU. It should be something like 6C1 30.

Comment

I have had a look several times now. I am not able to find any sticker on the harness.

So I am guessing I have wasted a lot of money on Lowrance equipment that will not work on my engine. Even if all the places I have looked online states that a 2006 EFI should communicate with NMEA 2000.

This sucks big time. I guess I will have to contact Yamaha to see if there is a fix for this miscommunication...

Comment

Originally posted by fredde1972 View Post
                              I have had a look several times now. I am not able to find any sticker on the harness.

So I am guessing I have wasted a lot of money on Lowrance equipment that will not work on my engine. Even if all the places I have looked online states that a 2006 EFI should communicate with NMEA 2000.

This sucks big time. I guess I will have to contact Yamaha to see if there is a fix for this miscommunication...
                              What is it that you expect Yamaha to do? You bought a used motor. Who knows what modifications were done to the motor after it left Yamaha and before you got it?

The Lowrance stuff you bought will still be useful. Lots of folks that can get engine data to a chart plotter don't even bother doing this. OK to have but not essential.

As I mentioned, you can buy a new main engine harness and new ECU if that is what it takes to get engine data from the motor to the chart plotter. Expensive but it can be done.

Comment

Working...
                              X