Yamaha F80 Regulator / Rectifier

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yamaha F80 Regulator / Rectifier

I resently had an issue with my 30 amp fuse blowing. Come to find out the regulator / rectifer had a short and burnt to a crisp! Here is my question, on the F80 Electrical 1 diagram, it shows two different part numbers...67F-81960-10 and 67F-81960-12. How do I know which one to order? Thanks in advance!!

Originally posted by Kentucky Lake View Post
    I resently had an issue with my 30 amp fuse blowing. Come to find out the regulator / rectifer had a short and burnt to a crisp! Here is my question, on the F80 Electrical 1 diagram, it shows two different part numbers...67F-81960-10 and 67F-81960-12. How do I know which one to order? Thanks in advance!!
    I'm sure the Boat.net folks will chime in to help you out....

BTW - My regulator burnt up a while back too. I was told the most probable reason mine went because my battery terminal came loose because I was using wing nuts instead of wrench tightened bolts! Just something to watch out for.

Comment

Thanks for the tip! Surprise, surprise, I had wing nuts on the battery terminals! No more for this ole boy...lock washer and hex nut from now on. I'm not saying that was the problem because both wing nuts were too tight to remove by had, but not taking any more chances.

Comment

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Comment

I don't do parts on this site.
          I do this for a living.
          2 biggest reasons for regulator failure,incorrect battery and loose connections.

Comment

Thanks! Since you do not do parts on this site, is there another site I can reference?

Comment

this web site does sell parts, Rodbolt is just saying he does not deal with the parts for this web site.
              Click on the red Purchase Yamaha Parts at top of the page or the contact us if you have problems finding what you need

Comment

Charging Problem on F80

I'm researching possible causes for my battery not charging. I never read more than 12.3 volts regardless of RPM. Is there a way to use a voltmeter to check the rectifier/regulator to see if its the likely culprit. Seems like several F80 thru F115 Yamaha's have had regulator problems be it from the component or from bad connections/bad batteries. Would like to troubleshoot it before I drop $200 on a part swap. Any help would be appreciated.

Comment

Starting your own thread with all your info and questions would be better than adding on and old thread

Comment

Originally posted by cuinorange View Post
                    I'm researching possible causes for my battery not charging. I never read more than 12.3 volts regardless of RPM. Is there a way to use a voltmeter to check the rectifier/regulator to see if its the likely culprit. Seems like several F80 thru F115 Yamaha's have had regulator problems be it from the component or from bad connections/bad batteries. Would like to troubleshoot it before I drop $200 on a part swap. Any help would be appreciated.
                    Yam F80 rectifier/regulators have been known to be problematic. There is a reason that they are now on the 13th design change (twelve dash number changes to the basic part number).

Check the input to the rectifier/regulator from the lighting coil to ensure that it meets specifications. If so, and if the output is only 12.3 volts the rectifier/regulator is defective. It is nominally 13 volts. Typically however you should be seeing in the neighborhood of 14 to 14.5 volts.

Comment

just get a F100detl model rectifier and that will do the job but again give a flick to your wing nut on battery terminal as they tend to aid in rectifier burnout
                      cheers

Comment

Working...
                      X